• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO as a music player... my results

nahpungnome

Jun 10, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I find it odd that HTC doesn't publish battery time when using the EVO as a music player, but Apple does for their iPhone... I use my EVO to stream music and listen to mp3s a lot... so here is my observation from today.

WiFi ON
Listening through Last.FM app
Headphone plugged in
Got a call in between, and a few text messages, looked at the screen a few times (who can resist the screen? :) )

Started listening non stop from 1:20PM
Battery at 92%

At 3:40PM
Battery is at 76%

16% drop for 2 hours and 20 minutes of non stop music listening with WiFi on seems pretty damn good to me.

I'll updated my final percentage when I actually stop listening (I listen to music as I program...watching TV is too distracting :) )

Reactions: EarlyMon
I find it odd that HTC doesn't publish battery time when using the EVO as a music player, but Apple does for their iPhone...

Might have something to do with Steve Jobs proclaiming that the iPhone was the best iPod ever in the first keynote speech introducing the product.

That's a really pretty good time result you have there.

I like that I can listen to my local classical station via FM Radio - and on that the power simply seems to last forever.

Upvote 0
Might have something to do with Steve Jobs proclaiming that the iPhone was the best iPod ever in the first keynote speech introducing the product.

That's a really pretty good time result you have there.

I like that I can listen to my local classical station via FM Radio - and on that the power simply seems to last forever.

Yeah, Apple claims 24hours of music... but I'm assuming no WiFi, not looking at the screen, getting calls, having any radio on, etc :)

Upvote 0
We gotta give props where due - the smaller screen and the chips based on the 45 nm manufacturing process technology in the iP4 are simply less power thirsty.

And no one ever tells the truth regarding portable battery life.

I like that since first getting my Evo, I've found more and more uses for it - and the battery just seems to last a whole lot longer than I'd initially expected.

Reactions: nahpungnome
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm done programming, can't take anymore, especially on a Saturday... :)

Good thing about stopping now is that it's a continuous 3 hours of music streaming so it's easier to try to extrapolate data, although probably not completely scientific.

So... final result

1:20 PM 92%
4:20 PM 72%

20% battery drain over 3 hours...

Simple calculation at 0% battery would be 5 x 3 hours = 15 hours of continuous music playback... not bad, not bad at all.

Now mind you, I do use a task killer so I don't have a bunch of stuff loaded in memory, just the music player and my apps that I ignored. I wasn't turning the phone on to continuously kill apps or anything. It just sat there most of the time with the screen off streaming music over my WiFi.

Upvote 0
this isn't very exact and I haven't tried this in a while(this was done when I first got the phone). I work an 8 hour shift plus 1/2 hour lunch break. phone was probably above 95% when I got to work. mail and weather synced every 3 hours. streamed pandora over bluetooth on 3g the whole day. except for lunch where I paused pandora but did not exit. surfed the internet some during lunch. made a few text mesages, but not heavy that day. after I punched out last thing I did was grab my phone on my way out (siting on desk face down) I picked it up and turned it on to kill pandora and bluetooth but instead watched it shut off .. LOL

so about 8 1/2 hours streaming pandora over bluetooth on 3G with a little internet surfing. not too bad :)

edit: no task killers or system panel at that time, nor did I monitor what was in the background.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones