Evo audio quality on video recordingsSupport

Last Updated:

1. mobilebd

mobilebd New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, ultimate noob here. I've been trying to digest every possible piece of information I can on the Evo, and have been very anxious to get one on June 4th. But something I'm finding very little info or comments on is how terrible the audio quality is on video recordings. It's surprisingly very bad. The video quality is looking good, but that makes the bad audio just that much worse. I've noticed this on every sample video I've checked out on You Tube. It seems that it is slightly better on the Incredible, but still pretty sub-par. If you watch video recorded from the Motorola Droid or iPhone, you can hear what a difference it is. Is this just a HTC thing, or is it something that can be adjusted? Is anyone else noticing this?

Advertisement
  2. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

At launch we'll have a Tips & Tricks forum, and hopefully some people will be able to dive into the camera/video settings and maximize what they can do.

However, I think it's important to remember this is a phone afterall and the video nor audio quality is not going to awe inspiring.

3. ragingsamster_old

ragingsamster_old Member

HTC decided that adding a Shure SM58 might make the phone too ungainly. :D

It is a phone, but I'm sure that someone will come up with a windsock mod at least to tame the wind noise evident in most of the recordings I've heard

4. mobilebd

mobilebd New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with the statement that it is a phone, but I think we've definitely reached the point where the phone aspect of these devices is becoming secondary. Also, we are somewhat sacrificing portability in exchange for it being a "multimedia powerhouse". So with that I would expect the multimedia aspects to be a highlight of the Evo.

I really do hope someone comes up something to address this. I did pre-order the Evo, but I'm considering holding off on purchasing until there is some sort of fix/workaround. This is one big reason why I chose this smart phone. If I wasn't as concerned about video recording, this would not be as big of a deal to me.

5. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

only bad audio i've heard is because of wind. i think any phone will be a victim to that outside of the nexus 1 and its noise cancelling 2nd mic.

plus, i've seen a few droid videos, and the visual quality was pretty bad. as long as you're not recording something in a tornado, i think it'll be sufficient enough.

6. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Want a DIY cheap-ass solution? Get a piece of foam from something and place it/tape it over the mic hole, while you are filming. That'll cut wind noise.

7. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

or put your right hand index finger or thumb over the mic while recording something outdoors where sound isn't needed. BALLER ON A BUDGET BABY!

8. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member

There needs to be an input gain control so when you are recording something loud it isn't all clipped and distorted

9. malibu23

malibu23 Well-Known Member

lol, its a phone not a sony handicam.

10. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member

The main reason for the horrible audio is the extremely low bit rate. I do not understand why the audio is being recorded in what sounds like 16kbps.

11. evo30

evo30 New Member

I agree with Hi Ho, I understand this is a cell phone, but if it has the capability to have better sound quality through software changes, then why not? I think this is where Iphone excels. They push the phone to the max w/o overpowering the phone. Which is why it doesn't multi-task. But its great with audio and video. Still Love my evo though! :)

12. davispolk

davispolk Member

Hi,
    I have one suggestion for this.. But i don't know whether it is suitable or not... You may try audacity noise removal software for removing unwanted noise

13. AlwaysAngry

AlwaysAngry Well-Known Member

the audio really pissed me off to no end, made the camcorder worthless imo.

i rooted to mikg 3.0 and the audio is 1,000X better :D. unfortunately, 720 and 800x480 (widescreen) don't work well at all, extremely choppy video and audio way out of synch. standard 640x480 works good though. to be fair, i never got good video quality from stock at 720... 800x480 worked better but not good. i make due by recording at a lower video resolution to get smooth video and good audio.

it's f---ing insulting because the phone is obviously capable of better audio but htc won't do anything about it :mad:. i'll make sure to try out the camcorder on my next phone before i buy it, because the camera specs were the #1 reason (among others) why i bought an evo. i feel completely cheated by htc and will be inclined to purchase elsewhere; it's kinda like buying a truck because it's advertised to haul 5,000 lbs, but you find out later that you can only carry 5,000 lbs if you're going 5 mph or less.

--------------
    edit: testing lg camera, will update later w/ specs.