• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO automatically restores old deleted messages

I am not one who likes to delete text messages that way I can go back and refer to previously stated things in messages, but when I started running out of room on my phone I decided it was time to delete all of my messages (thousands). Now, my phone automatically restores old messages, which now takes up space again, but the messages are ones that I don't understand how they are still on my phone. Some were just a single text with no response from August which was deleted the day it was received, yet here it is again restored automatically. Most though are full threads of texts from everyone I've texted which is thousands and thousands of messages that are supposed to have been deleted. :thinking:

This is unbelievably annoying, and I already did 'clear data' and 'clear cache' for Messages but the problem is still there. My phone is not rooted. Thanks for reading.

Hm, this is an interesting problem.

1) Has this always happened, or did it just start one day?
2) Do you use a replacement messaging app, such as handcent, for example?
3) Have you tried a full data wipe (factory reset)?
4) How do you delete them? Just the normal way of deleting a text message?
5) Does this happen with all messages, or just certain ones (any discernible patterns)?

Try this:

1) Make sure all the text messages you don't want have been deleted
2) Install SMS Backup & Restore from the market:

SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain

3) Select the option to backup SMS messages
4) Select the option to delete all messages
5) If you want your text messages back (presumably just the ones you want to actually keep) restore the backup you just made.

While that may be a pointless task (if the text messages are still there somehow, and the backup picks them up), you should at least be given a total number of messages. If it looks higher than what you expect, perhaps they're not being deleted.

Oh, and deleting thousands of text messages can take quite a while, so if you have a lot, keep that in mind.

Reactions: BeLikMike23
Upvote 0
You must be using m:IQ Live backup. I have had the very same issue and only found on other person that had the same problem. He also used m:IQ Live.

Uninstall it. Go to the website and delete the messages manually that you no longer want.
For some reason m:IQ Live backs up and retains ALL txt messages, even the one you delete.

Upvote 0
You must be using m:IQ Live backup. I have had the very same issue and only found on other person that had the same problem. He also used m:IQ Live.

Uninstall it. Go to the website and delete the messages manually that you no longer want.
For some reason m:IQ Live backs up and retains ALL txt messages, even the one you delete.

Yeah, I'm thinking it must be something like that. If that's the answer, good job getting it right off the bat...

Upvote 0

Wow, I appreciate both responses, and I do have m:IQ so I will uninstall it. Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones