• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO availability for sprint employees and advantage club

I am going to say we can get the Evo beginning October 1st. Maybe they allow our employee to order the Evo for us a week or two earlier so that it can be mailed and get to the SWAC member by October 1.

I have been wanting this phone since January, back when it was called the Supersonic, and now with my phone plan going from $20 to $40 a month, I am thinking I really don't need it, and I have wasted over 6 months reading the forums here. Yes I know Sprint is cheaper than other carriers, the Evo is an amazing phone, you pay for what you get (I have the Instinct right now:mad:), but how much of an Advantage am I at? Price per year goes from $240-$480. I am almost positive I have heard people on these forums saying they get a corporate discount or some other type of discount and they only have to pay about $30/month. $30 would be great, I have been assuming I would have to pay the extra 10 dollars a month since the phone was released, but an extra $10 beyond that? And "57% discount compared to standard consumer pricing", how many people actually pay the standard price?

Reactions: kiwistar2116
Upvote 0
I am going to say we can get the Evo beginning October 1st. Maybe they allow our employee to order the Evo for us a week or two earlier so that it can be mailed and get to the SWAC member by October 1.

I have been wanting this phone since January, back when it was called the Supersonic, and now with my phone plan going from $20 to $40 a month, I am thinking I really don't need it, and I have wasted over 6 months reading the forums here. Yes I know Sprint is cheaper than other carriers, the Evo is an amazing phone, you pay for what you get (I have the Instinct right now:mad:), but how much of an Advantage am I at? Price per year goes from $240-$480. I am almost positive I have heard people on these forums saying they get a corporate discount or some other type of discount and they only have to pay about $30/month. $30 would be great, I have been assuming I would have to pay the extra 10 dollars a month since the phone was released, but an extra $10 beyond that? And "57% discount compared to standard consumer pricing", how many people actually pay the standard price?

I see your point. Technically, the longer we wait, the less value the phone has.

Jeremeylobaugh, if I may ask, does your bill compare with the SWAC rates? It seems that it does...

Upvote 0
is there any way for us to get the phone ... via BB or RS?

also. my sis works for sprint and my whole family is on her employee advantage club. My parents dont care for smartphones and are happy with the simple clam dumb phones. They have upgrades availble.. I can not till Dec.

For anyone at sprint that knows...
Can I use one of my parents upgrade to get an evo for my account?? if so.. how would that work? to set it up??

Upvote 0
I know it seems that Sprint/HTC can't produce enough of these phones to keep them on the shelf, but I believe that it has to do with them trying to fix any of the problems the phone has had up to this point. You would think that a production line could spit out thousands of these phones a day if they needed to. Once they get the necessary, long term hardware problems ironed out, they should be able to ramp up production and not have us SWAC users going through depression waiting to get "the" email from our Sprint rep.

I still think it may be October 1st but maybe they will do pre-orders for SWAC users beginning in early September. Just about the time we are all going to give up on the Evo, they will dangle it right in front of us again and convince us that it will be a great idea to pay an extra $20 a month.

Has Sprint ever done pre-orders for SWAC customers before?

Upvote 0
The thing is... with only a year between upgrades, I really don't need to save the upgrade. A year with a device is not a bad option.

So, what you are telling me we have a situation where Sprint employees aren't carrying the flagship device two months into release. Not good.

Seems I'll just buy it outright then, even though there seems to be no fiscal advantage.

Upvote 0
Well here we are in the middle of August, at this point I would have to say the EVO itself has been a huge success but the selling of it by Sprint has been a huge failure. Now whether you blame sprint, htc, parts manufactures, or a combination is up for debate but there is no excuse for having a message on your website telling your customers that the phone is sold out for the last 2 months, its pathetic.

Im a verizon customer out of contract with a POS LG Dare waiting for the EVO to become available to advantage club customers so I can make the jump. I'm not there yet but soon I'm probably going to consider just buying a damn Droid X and re-upping with Verizon. I just want a new damn phone. Come on sprint, I really dont want to do stay with Verizon!

Upvote 0
From Sprint:

We are all painfully familiar with the EVO inventory constraints. And we just announced that the Samsung Epic 4G will be in stores on Aug. 31. Employee availability for both devices is delayed and an update on when employees and Advantage Club customers will be able to purchase the phones is expected in September. What gives?

"There's just a huge global parts shortage, with screens mainly," said Matt Carter, president-4G, in an Aug. 12 interview for PC World Magazine. HTC manufactures the EVO as well as phones sold by other carriers, such as the Desire, Droid Incredible and Nexus One, but the high-resolution touch-screens come mainly from Samsung. With inventory constraints mounting, HTC has switched to Sony

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones