Evo can't catch invisible home wireless?Support

Last Updated:

1. zepdroid

zepdroid Member This Topic's Starter

My home wireless setting as invisible... I set up doing manual by enter SSID, select WPA, and then enter password. But it said "Not in range, remembered".

So, I added MAC address(my Evo) into router (DIR-655) setting. My Evo is Froyo 2.2 (unroot)... But still nothing happened??

Anyone else set up success?

Advertisement
  2. robsevo

robsevo Active Member

Mine is invisible and connects just fine. I would reboot your router and/or try a different encryption method, wep, wpa, etc... Other then what you're using now.

3. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

Have mine set up almost the same way, except with no security, hidden, and network filtered. EVO connects just fine. Not too sure what the problem is with yours.

4. spyder40

spyder40 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, don't broadcast the SSID/WPA but can't get it to connect. Haven't spent any time on it though and haven't tried since the 2.2 update, speed over the Sprint network is good so no big deal.

5. zepdroid

At invisible setting, Evo is acting like dumber... but when I set up visible wireless, Evo found it at no problem...

I tried iTouch, it will connected easily either visible or invisible wireless as long as maunally correctly.

6. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

Easiest solution would be to stop using fake methods of security. Turn SSID broadcasting back on.

Anyone who wants to get into your network is going to have zero trouble finding your network SSID with or without the broadcast anyway (since wifi scanner apps search for traffic, not broadcasts).

It's actually one of the easiest things someone can do, really. You already have WPA, leave it at that.

apocalypse_later likes this.
  7. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member

Seconding turning SSID back on. To an attacker its a useless gesture. I can see your "invisible" network using a variety of tools. I can also spoof your mac address. Just use WPA, use a nice long passphrase, and stop believing in the voodoo that is security through obscurity.

8. zepdroid

Guys, I understand your point of view... I can change to visible setting at my home at no problem... BUT if I have Evo with me and my friend has his IPhone 4, we are at friend's house with invisible wireless. IPhone 4 user will work easily when do manual and I will be stuck like as LOSER! :confused:

I don't want to ask " Setting in router, will you please turn visible on? " :eek:

9. robsevo

robsevo Active Member

Well you didn't say it doesn't connect to ANY hidden networks just yours. Curious what router you have? Since others here don't have the problem it could just be random on yours and/or your configuration. Try it somewhere else on other gear. If its widespread on your phone maybe something is messed up. Reboot EVO or at worst reset.

10. TD22057

TD22057 Member

Same problem here. Connects fine to visible networks - says "out of range" for invisible ones. And no - I can't tell the work IT people to just turn on SSID broadcast.

11. Kam

Kam Active Member

I may be misremembering, but I thought this was a known bug in Froyo.