• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO Charging Problem? Check the USB Cable

ariot

Jun 15, 2010
Dallas, TX
I had an issue last week whereby my EVO was not charging. I would connect it to a power source and the LED light will indicate it was charging for about 1 second and then go off. I tried holding the micro usb end at all possible angles without any luck. I spent hours in the forum reading about people with similar issues and how Sprint was initially giving them a run around saying it was due to user abuse.

After doing all my research, I decided to buy:

"Seidio Multi-Function Battery Charger for Use with HTC Droid Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, Droid Eris and Touch Pro 2"

from Amazon.com for $21.88 plus shipping. Believe me, I spent hours trying to find a cheaper product, but all the cheaper products have more negtive comments from previous buyers. So I decided to get the Seido. When I received it, the first thing I noticed was that the micro usd end fitted snugly in my phone, something that never happened with original cable that came with the phone. And the charging disconnection stopped. Also this charger will charge your phone and a separate battery at the same time. I had purchased two of 3000 mAH Chinese batteries for $10 each several weeks ago, so I am really loving my phone and the whole setup right now.

I posted this for those having EVO charging problems, the problem might be with the cable. I searched for the long thread with people having charging problems, but could not locate it, so I started this new thread.

Regards,

ariot!

The USB cable that came with the Seidio charger quit working after about 2 weeks, but luckily I had a spare ($2) USB cable, so I started using that with the charger. The new USB cable too has quit working after about 2 weeks! The cables will not work whether connected through the charger or to a pc. What could be causing cables to fail?

The USB cable that came with the phone was just loose, so if I laid my phone flat on a table facing up and I placed a small weight on the HTC USB cable, I am able to get it to charge the phone. I guess I am on my way to the Sprint Store to have them replace the faulty cable!.

Upvote 0
Sometimes cheap cables just don't work well. You have to find that balance between the junk $2 cables and the way over-priced $20 ones. I had an issue where my cheap usb cable that I bought as an extra caused the phone to take five hours to charge. If you got a faulty cable with the phone, definitely take it back to sprint. If you want an extra cable, look around for something that's at least a little higher quality (but don't buy an extra from sprint; those are too expensive).

Reactions: ariot
Upvote 0
I have the same, ScorpDX.
smile.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones