• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo+Chevrolet Bluetooth Connect Problems

I've done just about everything, but I can't crack this nut.

I am referring to the infamous "Paired but not connected" problem.

I say infamous because I've found many forums (this forum, Google code groups, international forums, etc) where individuals are griping about this. It doesn't seem to be Evo based only. However it seems to be on many HTC devices running Android.

In case you are wondering what the problem is:

1. phone pairs fine.
2. phone says "connected to headset" (even though it's a car)
3. after 4 to 5 minutes the BT connection is lost a.k.a. "dropped".
4. Force connect BT again by turning off BT then on again.

So as for things that I have done to try to find out WTF:

1. I've called GM Tech, HTC, and Sprint. Nobody knows or has heard of any problem.
2. I've taken the car to the dealership and despite my explaination, "it pairs fine it just won't stay CONNECTED" the mechanic says, "I paired with it just fine." (notice how the mechanic misinterprets the difference between the two terms PAIR vs. CONNECT - sigh)
3. I've Googled the krap out of this subject, and use the "latest" and "past 24 hours" function in Google to refine my search on a daily basis, just incase someone discovers something new.
4. I've taken just about every single little piece of advice I could find.
5. I've even tried troubleshooting my own solutions (i.e. uninstall apps, hard reset, kill services, etc)

It seems that I am completely out of luck and unfortunately at the mercy of HTC and Sprint to release an update.

All I want is to make a normal phone call.

If anybody has any other ideas other than turning on and off the phone or Bluetooth (that is anything else that hasn't already been suggested through out this forum) - I'm all ears.

:eek::thinking::mad:

Wouldn't you know the day that I post with one of my biggest problems, I solve it in a matter of 30 minutes.

I even emailed Tech at HTC to see if there was somebody else I could speak to just in case the first guy I spoke to didn't know what he was talking about.

Here's what i did: (and this worked for my Chevy)

1. Unpaired from car first
  2. then Unpaired from phone
  3. Turn off car (completely - meaning open your door to kill the radio)
  4. Turn off phone
  5. Turn on Phone
  6. Turn on Bluetooth on Phone
  7. Turn on Car
  8. Turned on "make discoverable" on phone
  9. Initiated the pair from the car
  10. Scanned for Devices from the phone
  11. Choose car from Device list on phone
  12. type in Code from Car on phone
  13. Connected
  14. *********IMPORTANT*********
    [*]Do not allow your address book to sync.

You will be asked several times if you want to sync address book. Check the checkbox to, if I remember properly, "Always perform action" or something. then select "no" for your choice. The Dialogue box will pop up several more times. Use the same option each time until it goes away. (this may be according to the number of Groups you have in your address book - I got about 7 groups and that is how many times it popped up.)

I had read (on this forum) someone mentioned address book could be problematic but did not mention how you prevent your address book from syncing. As of yet I have not found an option in "Bluetooth" or "People (address book)" to prevent the syncing after the pair. The only way it seems doable is on initial pairing.

I hope this helps. As of yet I have not tried to reconnect after the successful connected trip. I hope I don't have to update anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones