EVO clock, intially has the wrong time when awokenSupport

Last Updated:

1. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer Active Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else noticed that the clock on the homescreen isn't right for the first 1/4 second when you wake your phone? This is annoying, because sometimes to check the time, I'll pick up the phone, tap the power button to check the time, and then tap it again and put it away to turn it off. My glance time is often only 1/4 a second, and the phone initially display's what I guess is the last time it had in the display, when it originally went to sleep.

Is there a way to fix this (w/out leaving the screen on all the time)?

Advertisement
  2. quentin135

quentin135 Well-Known Member

I noticed this too, I'm not sure how to "fix" it (not sure if I consider it broken). It's never bothered me ...I guess my glance is about 1/2 of a second.

3. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, so it's not just me. I suppose it's really only about a 1/10 of a second delay, before it updates to the correct time. So it hasn't ever misled me, just a mild annoyance.

4. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

I just got fired. I was .3 seconds late for my meeting, so I assume it was the EVO clock.

Ok...kidding aside, try the analog widget on your home screen if you want to see something interesting that might help you understand.

5. sEA

sEA Active Member

My previous phone, a Motorola flip phone, would do the same thing. When you opened it up, you would see the time that it went to sleep for just a fraction of a second before it would catch up and display the current time. I don't think the "problem" is just limited to HTC or the EVO. I believe it is just the way some phones work, that once you wake it up, it takes a minuscule amount of time for the processor to update the display.

6. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

It's a combination of OS function + battery saving. Constantly updating a widget's display in the background would be pretty wasteful. So as soon as it's active in the foreground again, the OS updates the display and widgets to reflect any data changes while they weren't in the foreground.

7. 82ndCowboy

82ndCowboy Well-Known Member

I did away with the big clock on the home screen, because the time is always on the notification bar And the Lock bar. So the redundancy is repeated twice.
    Now I just hit the power button once and there the time is on the lock bar, and then put EVO back in my pocket.