• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo crazy screen issues

audiofx2

May 12, 2010
I've had issues with my screen for the last month and a half and was hoping 2.2 would fix it.

The screen will stop responding to touches in certain areas and the bottom buttons will fail to work. The quick fix is to lock the device with the power button and unlock. It will work great for 10 minutes or so and then start acting goofy again. When it's really bad, there is dead part 3/4 up the screen. If I try a reboot, the "Power Off" button is in the dead zone and requires me to remove the phone from the case and remove the battery to even do a reboot.

I have security on with a finger swipe to unlock. Sometimes, I am unable to pull down the down the bar to unlock the phone. It will go down about halfway and shake a little. I have to set the phone down for 30 seconds and try again. After a few tries, it will finally unlock.

This was happening with 2.1 even after hard resets. It is still happening with 2.2 and I did a hard reset this morning.

I have tried multiple G-sensor calibrations. I think the hardware is fine but I have no idea why the phone acts up. It was great when I first got it. A few minutes ago, I tried to make a phone call and couldn't dial a 7. I would press a 7 and it would display a 4.

I do have a Clarivue screen protector on but I doubt that would be causing any issues.

I have the following apps installed and have never installed a task killer. I had more apps but I just did a hard reset and this is what I installed so far:

AndChat (always running in background)
ASTRO file manager
Audio Manager
Beautful Widgets
Swype 1.56
gReader (NewsRob before that)
Touchdown for Exchange
Frodo64
Twitter

After my last hard reset, I installed AppBrain and the phone immediately started acting up. I installed AppBrain and it got somewhat better but I am still powering off/on about every 15 minutes.

Also, the phone is pretty much unusable when laid down on a flat surface. During lunch, I lay the phone down and try to go to websites and it will start scrolling on it's own. It works better when I have the phone in my hand.

Should I take this back to the store to see if they can help? They'll probably do a hard reset which has been done numerous times. Or is there anything else I can do?

I did purchase a 3ft. Micro-USB B cable from Monoprice about a month ago when these problems started happening. I am still using the Sprint charger but I got the longer USB cable from Monoprice so it could reach longer.

A few times, I woke up and the phone was not charged, even though the charge light was on when I went to bed.

Anyone know if there's issues with 3rd party usb cables?

Upvote 0
Assuming you have done an FDR and ran it stock with the same issues, then you can eliminate software causes. Id bet there is a good chancde that there iss a problem with the screens grounding. Could just be a bad connection, however pretty much no choice but to take it in to Sprint for them to check it out.

Upvote 0
I've had issues with my screen for the last month and a half and was hoping 2.2 would fix it.

The screen will stop responding to touches in certain areas and the bottom buttons will fail to work. The quick fix is to lock the device with the power button and unlock. It will work great for 10 minutes or so and then start acting goofy again. When it's really bad, there is dead part 3/4 up the screen. If I try a reboot, the "Power Off" button is in the dead zone and requires me to remove the phone from the case and remove the battery to even do a reboot.

I have security on with a finger swipe to unlock. Sometimes, I am unable to pull down the down the bar to unlock the phone. It will go down about halfway and shake a little. I have to set the phone down for 30 seconds and try again. After a few tries, it will finally unlock.

This was happening with 2.1 even after hard resets. It is still happening with 2.2 and I did a hard reset this morning.

I have tried multiple G-sensor calibrations. I think the hardware is fine but I have no idea why the phone acts up. It was great when I first got it. A few minutes ago, I tried to make a phone call and couldn't dial a 7. I would press a 7 and it would display a 4.

I do have a Clarivue screen protector on but I doubt that would be causing any issues.

I have the following apps installed and have never installed a task killer. I had more apps but I just did a hard reset and this is what I installed so far:

AndChat (always running in background)
ASTRO file manager
Audio Manager
Beautful Widgets
Swype 1.56
gReader (NewsRob before that)
Touchdown for Exchange
Frodo64
Twitter

After my last hard reset, I installed AppBrain and the phone immediately started acting up. I installed AppBrain and it got somewhat better but I am still powering off/on about every 15 minutes.

Also, the phone is pretty much unusable when laid down on a flat surface. During lunch, I lay the phone down and try to go to websites and it will start scrolling on it's own. It works better when I have the phone in my hand.

Should I take this back to the store to see if they can help? They'll probably do a hard reset which has been done numerous times. Or is there anything else I can do?

I was having the same issue with my EVO that I purchased on July 23, which I returned today. I would try to pull the lock bar down to answer a call, and the phone would not respond. I would try to end a call, continually touching and holding, even tapping the end call button with no response. Not to mention, the sound quality of the earpiece was TERRIBLE. Every call sounded muffled, voice reverberation, etc. Took the darn thing back and will wait to see if they get the bugs worked out. As far as using the phone to access the web, there were no issues there excep that a few times it would not connect to YouTube and people sitting next to me using iPhone 4 were accessing.

Upvote 0
I couldn't get the phone to shut off hitting the volume up/down at the same time. It kept adjust the Ringer Volume.

Anyways, I took my phone back to Sprint and they gave me a new one. They immediately came back and said it was a bad screen. Before I took the phone in, I hard reset it twice and it was actually working well. The phone issue was fixed etc... But I had not loaded any apps or even set up Gmail.

The new phone works perfect. It's great to not have to keep locking/unlocking to get it to respond properly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones