• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO defaults to speaker mode: defect or not?

Lord Vader

Android Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2010
Every time I make a call (and on most INcoming calls as well), my EVO automatically goes to speaker mode, forcing me to finagle with it just to turn off the speaker so I can use the handset. Is there a way to stop this--I've looked around but haven't found the answer yet--or is this a defect I will have to correct with a replacement phone? I've only had it 3 weeks, so I'm within the 30-day return window.

I remember seeing a setting somewhere but cannot find it. right now all I can find is

open voicemail, menu, settings, uncheck speakerphone

I thought mine did this once in voice calls and I can't remember if that is how I fixed it. pretty sure it isn't

it may have just been doing it in voicemail. Is it possible that the headset jack is defective?

I have tried a few things to replicate the issue on my phone and cannot

Upvote 0
Every time I make a call (and on most INcoming calls as well), my EVO automatically goes to speaker mode, forcing me to finagle with it just to turn off the speaker so I can use the handset. Is there a way to stop this--I've looked around but haven't found the answer yet--or is this a defect I will have to correct with a replacement phone? I've only had it 3 weeks, so I'm within the 30-day return window.

I'm almost positive there is a setting that can be toggled on or off (can't remember exactly where), but that setting allows the phone to automatically go into speaker mode, so I'd check all the different settings before returning it. I think it might be in the dock settings.

If you've downloaded any apps that are connected to calls, I'd check those to see if they have any settings that force it into speaker mode as well.

Upvote 0
I remember seeing a setting somewhere but cannot find it. right now all I can find is

open voicemail, menu, settings, uncheck speakerphone

I thought mine did this once in voice calls and I can't remember if that is how I fixed it. pretty sure it isn't

it may have just been doing it in voicemail. Is it possible that the headset jack is defective?

I have tried a few things to replicate the issue on my phone and cannot

Headset appears to be fine, and my voicemail settings were already set to speakerphone off.

Upvote 0
I'm almost positive there is a setting that can be toggled on or off (can't remember exactly where), but that setting allows the phone to automatically go into speaker mode, so I'd check all the different settings before returning it. I think it might be in the dock settings.

Well, it's not in the dock settings, so that is moot.

If you've downloaded any apps that are connected to calls, I'd check those to see if they have any settings that force it into speaker mode as well.

Other than PhoneFusion, I don't have any apps that are tied to phone settings.

I appreciate the suggestions, but it seems I'm still stumped. FWIW, Sprint's tech support recommended I do this:

1. Take to a Sprint corporate store to have them do a wire xfer software upgrade. They claim that OTA upgrade (I am on the latest software version) often leaves the phone with malfunctions.

2. If #1 doesn't work, have the Sprint store exchange the phone outright.

Upvote 0
Well, it's not in the dock settings, so that is moot.

Other than PhoneFusion, I don't have any apps that are tied to phone settings.

I appreciate the suggestions, but it seems I'm still stumped. FWIW, Sprint's tech support recommended I do this:

1. Take to a Sprint corporate store to have them do a wire xfer software upgrade. They claim that OTA upgrade (I am on the latest software version) often leaves the phone with malfunctions.

2. If #1 doesn't work, have the Sprint store exchange the phone outright.

being that you are within the 30 days this sounds like a good option.

have you tried to do a hard reset yourself?

Upvote 0
So does mine.... It is definitely tied to the car dock in some way. I am rooted and have tried wiping everything and have installed multiple different ROMs(including a stock one) and it is still there. I restored a nand backup from months ago that definitely did not have this issue when I ran the backup....still has it. I have deleted the Car Dock app completely....no dice. So I have done all I can do........

Upvote 0
It's happening in root or unrooted on my phone. It's ridiculous. 99.9% of all in coming calls always answer in speaker mode, while whenever I make an outgoing call, 95% pop right into speaker mode.

The only choice I have, absent returning it (mine's 7 months old, though) is to disable entirely the speaker phone.

Upvote 0
This is really frickin' annoying. Every, and I mean EVERY damn phone call I receive answers in speaker phone. In fact, when I press the green "answer" icon on my phone to answer an incoming call, I put the phone to my ear to listen, only to have the speaker phone instantly kick in. I then have to pull the phone away, press the speaker phone icon to disable it, then continue the call.

God! I HATE this!

Upvote 0
That only worked for a few minutes, then it reverted back to speaker phone auto mode. Worse, I've answered calls that began in nonspeaker mode--I'd say hello using the nonspeaker mode, then within a half second or second, it would switch on its own to speaker phone. Damn annoying!

My husband's phone just started doing this today. Was this ever resolved for you???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones