• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO defaults to speaker mode: defect or not?

My EVO was doing this for about a month or two, every call I made or answered would be set to speakphone. I tried everything listed here and finally gave up trying a fix. Now somehow it's fixed. It's working normally again and there was nothing I did, it's been working fine for the past few days now. Very strange

Upvote 0
Make sure SETTINGS -> SOUND -> FLIP FOR SPEAKER is off.

Make sure Dock is disabled and not set to auto launch.

Make sure the charging port is clean, free of any dirt or debris.

Do the GPS Clear, ##GPSCLRX# (You need your MSL for this). I read somewhere that occasional some GPS bug can cause this.

I have not had the problem since doing all of this.

Upvote 0
My wife's EVO has this problem too. But her problem started when she dropped it in the toilet last week. All incoming calls go to speaker. Car Dock would come on every time it was charging - but I found where to disable that. Just stumped on the speaker issue.

I have had the same experience. I've had my EVO for a long time now, and never had this issue. Last week my wife dropped it in water, and ever since that, all incoming calls are answered with the speakerphone enabled.

I have yet to find a solution.

Upvote 0
So this started happening to me today (or perhaps last night). The car dock automatically started booting up. And note this, I wasn't charging it. I have the original software that came with my phone from day one (nearly a year ago) since I rooted it the day I got it, shit happened, didn't really mess with it...so it has never been updated for about a year.

I've tried the battery pulls, disabling the car panel autolaunch, I've even installed some apps just for root so it would put car panel in a quarantine to never launch, I've tried turning on airplane mode and doing a restart, even did airplane mode doing a battery pull, pulled battery and SD card, cleaned out the phone with canned air....and to no avail, this problem still persists.

I think I have a 1 year warranty on this phone so I'll be taking it in before that expires. Just thought I'd give my $0.02 on what all I've done and what all has failed for me.

Upvote 0
I have found that the only way to avoid this problem is to have my bluetooth setting to "on." When my bluetooth is turned on, then I cannot use the speakerphone. Get this--when I contacted Sprint about this problem, they told me that the EVO is designed to use the speaker phone by default and cannot be changed. Yeah, right.

Upvote 0
It's happening in root or unrooted on my phone. It's ridiculous. 99.9% of all in coming calls always answer in speaker mode, while whenever I make an outgoing call, 95% pop right into speaker mode.

The only choice I have, absent returning it (mine's 7 months old, though) is to disable entirely the speaker phone.

It's not the rooted that caused the problem, but rooted and then flashing some custom ROM's (cause I see it's not all ROM caused this bug).
and Flip for speaker doesn't help.

Mine gone when I unplug the battery. I hope It'll help.
and I'll remember to do that after everytime I have installed custom ROM's.

Upvote 0
It's not the ROM, rooting, or anything else. It's a defect of the phone. The problem occurred in the phone's stock status and with every ROM I've used. All the fixes in this thread have been ineffective. The only way I was able to fix it was to turn on and leave on the phone's blue tooth setting. When the phone's blue tooth is on, I cannot use speaker mode even if I want to.

This isn't a problem for me primarily because when I'm home, my home cordless phone's blue tooth feature allows me to use my home handset to answer or make any cell calls. I can leave my EVO alone.

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me! I have an Evo and one night my "Car Mode" turned on automatically. So I exited it and it kept opening. Eventually my battery ran out and when I turned it on all of my calls were answered with speaker phone. I did clear data on a few programs to empty some space but I didn't think that would cause such a problem. And it's funny to see so many other people are having the same problem as me. If the problem isn't fixed soon, I'm going to take it in to the Sprint Store because I have insurance on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones