EVO Drivers not loading on computer

1. hig413

hig413 Member

When I start the rooting process, I see where I am to start phone holding volume down button while pressing Power button. then choose HBOOT USB and plug phone into computer. My computer (running Vista) is trying to load device drivers but doesn't find any. When I finally get the option to pick where to look and tell it to look in folder I downloaded drivers from Unrevoked ( to install unrevoked 3) it doesn't load them. I don't understand!!!

Advertisement
  2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Well-Known Member

3. hig413

hig413 Member

When I downloaded them it just kept them in the zip file. so I copied them into the folder out of the zip file. i went to device manager and I get message:
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Do I click to reinstall the drivers?
  4. Xtremedays

that should work then select the drivers you downloaded.
  5. hig413

hig413 Member

I re-downloaded drivers and placed in another folder. I keep getting error: "The System cannot find the file specified".
    Am i supposed to have some drivers already installed on my computer before I try this process to load the "New" drivers?
  6. hig413

hig413 Member

I re-downloaded drivers from Unrevoked.
  7. Xtremedays

You should just place them where you know where they are and when it tries to install, tell it where they are.
  8. hig413

hig413 Member

I tell it where to go, but I keep getting that error code 28 that it can't find the files. (I am about to really tell it where to go)
  9. Xtremedays

Did you unzip the folder before trying to install them?

Are you following the instructions in the link I put up also or trying to install them just by plugging in the phone?
  10. hig413

hig413 Member

I am following the link you provided. I have downloaded the file and unzipped the folder and saved to my desktop in a folder I created just for the drivers. When I follow the steps . It says to click on the Android 1.0 in Device Manager and go to C:\android-sdk-windows\usb-drivers. My computer tells me there is no such location.
  11. Xtremedays

Have you tried browsing for it instead of typing in the location?
  12. hig413

hig413 Member

yes, there is no C:\android**** anywhere
  13. Xtremedays

is your harddrive labeled something other than c:?
  14. hig413

hig413 Member

no. hard drive is labeled C:
  15. Xtremedays

not sure then. Maybe someone else can shed some light. It must not be putting it in the place you are telling it.
  16. hig413

hig413 Member

is the android-sdk-windows\usb_drivers supposed to be part of the drivers I downloaded from: unrEVOked modified USB driver or is it from somewhere else that I should have loaded onto computer already?
  17. Xtremedays

18. hig413

hig413 Member

That is the file I downloaded (3 times now). I have the option to Open or save and I have done both. I have left the zip file closed and also taken extracted everything from zip file and placed into folder and have browsed to both with computer telling me that driver is not there.
  19. Xtremedays

I am out of ideas then. I have done this 3 different times on 3 different computers and not had this problem.
  20. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

do you have htc sync installed? if you do try unistalling it. if you don't install it, run it, then uninstall it.
  21. hig413

hig413 Member

I installed it, then uninstalled it withour running it. Will try that.
  22. hig413

hig413 Member

OK, I re-installed HTC Sync, used once, then un-installed. Restarted computer and connected phone to see about loading drivers. Still showing that the android-sdk-windows\usb_drivers can't be found, and trying to install drivers from unrevoked (down loaded 4 times now) can't be loaded. Says athere was a problem loading them.
  23. hig413

hig413 Member

I have tried everything and can not get past the 1st step. When I go into HBOOT and go to device manager I see Other Devices and under that Android 1.0 (with a yellow warning sign). I can click on that to pick to update drivers but can't figure out where to tell it to go to get drivers.
    If I choose folder that I downloaded the zip file to, I get error that states "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered as error while attempting to install it".
    In the screen shots, it shows to go to "C:\android-sdk-windows\usb_drivers" but I dont have that file.
  24. Xtremedays

What do you see in the android-sdk-windows folder after you have unzipped it?
  25. hig413

hig413 Member

The file I have downloaded is called: android-usb-driver.zip
    In the zip file are:
    2 Security Catalogs - androidwinusb86.cat & androidwinusba64.cat
    1 Setup info - android_winusb.inf
    3 Application Extensions - WdfCoInstaller01007.dll, WinUSBCoInstaller.dll, WUDFUpdate_01007.dll
    1 File - NOTICE
    (Note: Within the zip file, the Application Extensions and the Notice File are in there twice)
    I don't know where the android-sdk-windows file is supposed to be downloaded from.
    When I go to Unrevoked and click on More Info, it says to download the Windows HBOOT drivers. When I click on that link, I go to:
    public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
    and it has a zip file called:
    android-usb-driver.zip

That is what I have downloaded 4 different time now.