• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO EVENT: What do YOU want to know about the HTC EVO 4G?

Sorry everyone! I'm back and going to be taking ALLLLL night converting/uploading video. Probably an all-nighter. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I forgot the darn paper I wrote down all your questions on but I tried to remember/ask most of them. I'll give a more detailed response in a "First Impressions" post on Phandroid, but here is what I gathered in direct response to some of your specific questions:\

• $199/June 4th (obviously)
  • Hotspot is $29.99/month although this comes from the press release - they said nothing about this at the event
  • Unique apps leveraging front camera? I think only Qik and we'll have to wait-and-see on the rest
  • 4G Rollout plans - see this phandroid post from last week
  • Simultaneous data/voice? yes.
  • Hotspot + Get calls? Yes, see above.
  • Do the touch/capacitive android buttons glow white on the ring around them when you press? No
  • Battery life on 4G? Consumes a bit more than 3G, consumes a TON if you're not in a 4G city and it constantly tries to get a signal. You can toggle 4G off easily.
  • Android OS version - 2.1
  • Car dock? Yes
  • Car home? Yes
  • Other accessories? Yes... including custom cover that supports kickstand
  • Extended battery interfere with kickstand? Not at all... you should definitely be able to equip this with an extended battery

Upvote 0
Sorry everyone! I'm back and going to be taking ALLLLL night converting/uploading video. Probably an all-nighter. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I forgot the darn paper I wrote down all your questions on but I tried to remember/ask most of them. I'll give a more detailed response in a "First Impressions" post on Phandroid, but here is what I gathered in direct response to some of your specific questions:\

• $199/June 4th (obviously)
  • Hotspot is $29.99/month although this comes from the press release - they said nothing about this at the event
  • Unique apps leveraging front camera? I think only Qik and we'll have to wait-and-see on the rest
  • 4G Rollout plans - see this phandroid post from last week
  • Simultaneous data/voice? yes.
  • Hotspot + Get calls? Yes, see above.
  • Do the touch/capacitive android buttons glow white on the ring around them when you press? No
  • Battery life on 4G? Consumes a bit more than 3G, consumes a TON if you're not in a 4G city and it constantly tries to get a signal. You can toggle 4G off easily.
  • Android OS version - 2.1
  • Car dock? Yes
  • Car home? Yes
  • Other accessories? Yes... including custom cover that supports kickstand
  • Extended battery interfere with kickstand? Not at all... you should definitely be able to equip this with an extended battery

Rob, we appreciate it SO MUCH!!!!!

Upvote 0
i live in boston....i had nextel way back in the day and the second it switched to sprint my service went to crap...i eventually switched to tmobile and say what you want i have never had an issue as to getting service where i should.

everyone i know who had sprint switched to another carrier, i want a good phone but i am not going to sacrafice service for it. also i travel to europe often and verizon and sprint are no help there.

I live in Boston .. Sprint Service is great.. ive had it for 4-5 years.. I had switched from ATT.. which had the worst service in the history of mankind...

Sprint works everywhere i go including places i thought it wouldnt work.. You must not be talking about Boston, MA .. maybe Boston, GA

Upvote 0
I live in Boston .. Sprint Service is great.. ive had it for 4-5 years.. I had switched from ATT.. which had the worst service in the history of mankind...

Sprint works everywhere i go including places i thought it wouldnt work.. You must not be talking about Boston, MA .. maybe Boston, GA

Boston, GA.
Too funny!!

If you want a phone that you can take overseas, get Touch Pro 2 or a Blackberry.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I'm on a train (not a boat) headed to the EVO 4G event and am wondering what are you most curious to learn about the EVO 4G? I'll take a read through your comments before I walk over to the event and try to get as much information as possible.

No promises... but I figured it'd be nice to hook all you potential owners up with the answers you so badly want!
Will the Evo have Voice Activated Dialing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones