EVO FreezingSupport

Last Updated:

1. Ms_Kady

Ms_Kady Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had my phone freeze a couple times today to the point where I had to restart.

One of the times was when I had Pandora running. Anyone else run into this?

Advertisement
  2. denise1768

denise1768 Well-Known Member

Hi,

My froze today.. actually, not sure if it froze, but screen went blank. I plugged it into my car charger for the first time, made a call. Hung up. Then, I went to go do something and the screen just went black.

Using the car blue tooth , I was able to place a call.

3. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

Mine occasionally freezes, but if I leave it alone for a couple of minutes it usually works fine.....I'm wondering if it's the EVO itself or some nasty app I installed. If it doesn't get better I may have to do a factory reset.

4. jonstradomous79

jonstradomous79 New Member

My EvO froze today and is still frozen i did some update the phone rebooted and its stuck on the HTC EVO 4g start up screen did a factory rest nothing i am pissedddd and its still stuck

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

mine has froze a few times, and only a battery pull will fix it. a few times it froze with the screen off, and it wouldnt turn back on. and a few other times it froze on, and the screen wouldnt turn off til i pulled the battery.

finndo77 likes this.
  6. Jacks' Frank

Jacks' Frank Member

I wonder if it's an issue with 4G and the Evo trying to search for a 4G signal? When 4G is turned off I haven't experienced any freeze issues.... yet. I live and work in a 4G area but sometimes I'm in buildings where the 4G signal is weak.

7. Thmstec

Thmstec New Member

Just talked to my mom (we both just got evos, however mine is still in the mail), and she has what sounds like this exact same problem. She lives near STL, which doesn't have 4g YET (as I understand), but has this same issue where she tries to use the phone and it won't respond.

....This was over the phone, but I think she told me the unlock screen actually came up, and she was able to touch it, but it wouldn't unlock. I'll suggest the 4g turn off (hopefully I can explain how to add the widget if it isn't there by default) and will report back any findings.

8. denise1768

I don't have 4g yet, and also the 4g widget is turned off.

9. Jacks' Frank

Jacks' Frank Member

Denise, it sounds like your issue may be different than mine because when the phone freezes, I lose all functionality.

By the way, did you eventually have to take the battery out to get it going properly?

10. denise1768

Yes, I had to take the battery out to get it working. My screen completely went black and made the call using blue tooth and the call thru the address book in the car.

I just thought I'd join a thread that talks about freezing.. wonder if I should start my own? :)

Good luck with yours! love the phone!!

11. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Just a question for all of you that are experiencing freezing. By chance are you using task killers?

12. denise1768

i am not

13. Thmstec

Thmstec New Member

I know my mother is not using a task killer. (she hasn't even opened the market yet)

14. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Radio shack installed Advanced Task Killer when i bought it. I tried it for a day then decided I didnt like it. So no, I'm not using a task killer now.

15. Ms_Kady

My screen doesn't go completely blank, it just freezes. Also sometimes when I have a notification up top I can't slide the status bar down to see what it is. Maybe I should do a hard reset?

16. FraGztr

FraGztr Well-Known Member

i had a few freeze and crashes.. when playing a game and try to go back to home screen, it would get stuck to the game and wont let me do anything.. i had to press the power button and do a hard reset.. :( i dont know if this is gonna be a occasional only or would happen often. I'll give this phone another week and if my experience wont get better, i'll probably go back to RS and get my refund..

17. denise1768

I don't think i would return the phone because it's definitely the best phone out there for my needs.. Mine only happened once so far. I'm sure if this is a problem, we'll get an update (i hope!!)

18. Ms_Kady

I wouldn't return it because it's the best phone in Sprint's line up.

19. Gtrts2roid30

Gtrts2roid30 Member

My Evo frooze as well while using Pandora. I had a black screen, No Audio, The power light was on and I actually heard the new message beep when someone set me a Google Talk Message.
    I pulled the battery and it works fine.
    Other random issues include no task bar on the top of the screen, just a black line where is should be. Sprint TV locks up the phone and no keyboard letter pop-ups when using the keyboard.

I understand how to recover from those issues. I still love this phone and cant keep my hands off it.

20. Ms_Kady

Ya, I had to pull out my battery and restart my phone after the unlock screen froze. Hopefully I won't have to do this a lot. :(

21. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

To all seeing Issues with Pandora freezing. I too use Pandora a lot and have seen freezes with it. It tends to happen when the network has a hiccup. I don't think this is an OS issue though. Sometimes if you just wait it out it will fix itself or even force close. I believe its more of how Pandora is handling network lags. Most apps that require the network may cause these types of issues.

Just my .02 cents.

finndo77 likes this.
  22. Ms_Kady

I think you're right. Pandora definitely makes my phone freeze. It happens when it is transitioning to another song. The screen goes blank and eventually the force close message comes up. Hopefully this gets fixed in an update!

23. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

My first freeze happened to me also, while playin Pandora

24. Pity410

Pity410 Active Member

My first freeze happened today. I had just received a text and i tried to unlock the ICE screen (ICE-In Case of Emergency has its own lock screen) then it froze in the middle of the unlock slide. The screen was completely unresponsive as well as the bottom buttons. I then hit the power button to put it to sleep, screen went black and hitting the power button again to wake it up did nothing. tried holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds to try and reboot and nothing. Finally pulled the battery, seemed to take a little longer to reboot.

25. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

There was an update issued to pandora yesterday, did you down load it?