• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo fried my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The USB cable provided with the Evo melted and fried my laptop. That is why I am calling HTC.

So the cable melted now? You didn't say that before. And again, just because your cable melted doesnt mean it was the cable's fault. The usb port on your computer was probably shorted out, which caused too much current to be pushed through the cable, causing it to melt. So good luck trying to get HTC to pay for your faulty computer.

Reactions: skinink66
Upvote 0
So the cable melted now? You didn't say that before. And again, just because your cable melted doesnt mean it was the cable's fault. The usb port on your computer was probably shorted out, which caused too much current to be pushed through the cable, causing it to melt. So good luck trying to get HTC to pay for your faulty computer.

I'm glad to know you have half a ****ing brain. If the USB cable is damaged it is possiable to send a surge via USB port. Considering the laptop is 3 months old and the port had functioned up until the evo I say your bout full of shit.
Thanks for stopping by though.

Upvote 0
Was your 3 month old laptop that cost just under 900 just fried?

If its three months old.. im sure its covered under a warranty against defects and such.. and im sure a USB port melting a cable would qualify as a defect!

Yes, I know it sucks.. My mother board died on me when mine was 4 months old.. so i was without a computer for THREE WEEKS!!:eek:

I almost lost my mind...... almost.... some would argue I never had one in the first place ;)

Upvote 0
If its three months old.. im sure its covered under a warranty against defects and such.. and im sure a USB port melting a cable would qualify as a defect!

Yes, I know it sucks.. My mother board died on me when mine was 4 months old.. so i was without a computer for THREE WEEKS!!:eek:

I almost lost my mind...... almost.... some would argue I never had one in the first place ;)

Its considered accidental damage. I was told to contact the manufacture of the hardware that was plugged in.
But let me give some backgorund.
I am a computer geek.Not a computer god but if you need something geeky done you call me.
Considering the laptop will not POST it only leaves one option-power supply burned out.
Considering the power supply was good and has been good since I bought the laptop; the only reasonable conclussion is the new hardware that was plugged in.

I know it is a stretch for the USB to have caused it however if you look on google a bad USB cable can cause a power supply to burn up due to feedback.

When I was on the phone with HTC I let them know the Evo is the BEST phone made- and knowing that they will take care of the laptop I am still a happy camper. That does not mean that I am less frustrated by the situation though

Upvote 0
"Its considered accidental damage. I was told to contact the manufacture of the hardware that was plugged in."

Accidental damage for doing something that you normally should be able to do?

"When I was on the phone with HTC I let them know the Evo is the BEST phone made- and knowing that they will take care of the laptop I am still a happy camper."

You told them that the EVO was the best so they ar buying you a new laptop?

Sorry, but this seems a little weird.

Reactions: skinink66
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones