• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo getting bad reviews so far?

I really do not think anyone here is a troll, but this thread has troll elements.
Proper trolling

Proper trolling never starts out as, "you are stupid beyond belief", that gets you banned. A good troll knows how to work the system. A trolls playground is FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, and DOUBT, fud. You do not need to spread all of them, only one. And you do not need to back up your points

Troll often feed off troll, they find the only person that disagrees with everyone else and claim them as the only opinion. A lot like in this tread. Instead of going to an actually technology site, or even a android only site. We have the wjs, why because its whole existence is to spread fud. Anything that is not apple, mossberg degrades. The other poster picked pc mag. But the same basic principle applies.

Now once the "original" fud has been shot down the troll will move to plan B and that is attack any information that is not related to the original topic. You did this quite well with the video/call/stuff issues that you where to drag up from any source. At this point someone always screams troll.

The next step is for the other trolls, to launch a counter attack. Your "fill in the blank" sucks because "fill in the blank". The only defense is a blanket denial of owning/having blank or that blank part b does not exist for you.

Once that is done and all arguments have simmered down, the original troll, pops up says in the most honest tone possible " i do not understand why every one is soo mad" or "Just reporting what I am reading " or "We should kill the guy that started this post."

And the pot boils over again.

I am not apply this to anyone here, I am just saying all troll post follow the same basic pattern. 1) fud 2.)back up fud 3.) counter attack. 4.)denial 5.) more fud 6.)blame/displacement

Upvote 0
I don't care about the review's. I am buying the phone regardless.

When you get your hands on one, let me know. I did a little pre-release playing and wasn't terribly impressed with 4G in Austin. Like you, I will be fine with 3G until they build out the network more (hopfully), but I was surprised how many times I left 4G just by going down a little hill, and then had it again a few hundred feet later. The phone would get mega confused and not have data at all until I turned off 4G. Sitting still it was fine.

At my house, shown by Clear to have great 4G signal, I had no signal.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think Walt's review wasn't negative at all. I've read his other reviews, and typically take what he says with a grain of salt. I thought the Evo was freaking awesome. Yes it's big, yes it runs 4G, which isn't very built out yet. Yes, it's blah blah blah. I really liked it. It was a big, awesome, powerful phone with 4G potential.

Battery life? I guess we'll see. There are a LOT of things that play into battery life.

Upvote 0
Therein lies the problem, the biggest selling point is the 4G, so much so that Sprint is charging you $10/mo more for it. If you take away the 4G, the Evo is basically a bigger Incredible with an extra camera...

... and the ability to take 720p videos, and best yet, HDMI out.

I agree that the Incredible is basically the same phone, but let's not pretend that it and the EVO aren't differentiated by a relevant margin.

Upvote 0
When you get your hands on one, let me know. I did a little pre-release playing and wasn't terribly impressed with 4G in Austin. Like you, I will be fine with 3G until they build out the network more (hopfully), but I was surprised how many times I left 4G just by going down a little hill, and then had it again a few hundred feet later. The phone would get mega confused and not have data at all until I turned off 4G. Sitting still it was fine.

At my house, shown by Clear to have great 4G signal, I had no signal.

Personally, I think Walt's review wasn't negative at all. I've read his other reviews, and typically take what he says with a grain of salt. I thought the Evo was freaking awesome. Yes it's big, yes it runs 4G, which isn't very built out yet. Yes, it's blah blah blah. I really liked it. It was a big, awesome, powerful phone with 4G potential.

Battery life? I guess we'll see. There are a LOT of things that play into battery life.

The phone itself is fantastic I'm sure. HTC is a beast and has been delivering sensational products.

I guess I'm eluding more to the fact that the problems are because the spotty Sprint 4g/3g toggling is going to cause bad battery life sounds like its causing massive battery drainage. And then people outside of 4g have to pay $10 extra anyways.

But I'm sure more towers will start poppin up pretty fast which will help the toggling issue.

Upvote 0
The phone itself is fantastic I'm sure. HTC is a beast and has been delivering sensational products.

I guess I'm eluding more to the fact that the problems are because the spotty Sprint 4g/3g toggling is going to cause bad battery life sounds like its causing massive battery drainage. And then people outside of 4g have to pay $10 extra anyways.

But I'm sure more towers will start poppin up pretty fast which will help the toggling issue.

I shall be turning off my 4g... well except when I go to Vegas :D but even then.. might leave it off.. won't be looking at my phone too much while saying "hit me" :p

Oh and actually even with the 10/mo extra.. my phone bill will $20/mo cheaper than it is now... I had no idea about discounts and only 5% off my bill.. well thankfully I now have a 23% discount which yields me much more than the 10/mo so it is a moot point in my world :)

Upvote 0
Seriously, I watched just about every unboxing that was posted on youtube in the last Hour or so, And I got to say that the feeling is the same every time they open that box and Power that baby up.....WOW!!!!! That phone is absolutly inFRIGGINsane.
The haters need to shut up for the time being! If it drops, and bad reviews from the public pour in, then you can open the negative flood gates! It's a Phone, not a cure for an infectious Disease, Like every other phone on earth, I'm sure some flaws will exist. Anyway, that screen is insane, and I for one cant wait to get my hands on it June 4th, or earlier if Sprint decides to really punch Apple in the jaw a week before there 4th Gen iphone announcement!

Upvote 0
narrow ass screen that reminds me of a king size snickers bar, pointless optical joystick, no thanks.

and it'll be at least as fast as the incredible, and faster on 4G. take that to the bank.
What are you taking about? Both the EVO and Incredible have the EXACT same screen aspect ratio. The EVOs screen is just a "narrow" as the incredible. Too funny!

... and the ability to take 720p videos, and best yet, HDMI out.

I agree that the Incredible is basically the same phone, but let's not pretend that it and the EVO aren't differentiated by a relevant margin.
The 720p recording on the Evo is low quality due to high compression used.

Upvote 0
what are you smoking???

aspectratio.png

Upvote 0
People, I am in a good mood, so i am only going to say this once, be nice with each other or Banlandia awaits. Don't flame or be rude to each other.
I have edited some posts of their comments and deleted a few others. I don't want to end up having to close this thread, but I will if need be.

TS out

Reactions: SprintFun and jamor
Upvote 0
uhhh...

what he said....

Clearly no one has read the original post where he stated the Incredible had a very skinny/long screen, but as had been said they have the same aspect ratio so proportionally the EVO is just as "narrow" (relative to it's height). Though it is a bigger screen, thus it is wider.

So yeah, it's just getting into a big misunderstanding, the EVO has the same aspect ratio and resolution as the Incredible it just is 4.3in vs 3.7in, the Incredible just looks longer because of all the extra plastic on the top and bottom of the phone.

Hope that clears it up.

Upvote 0
The Incredible sucks... I used it, and it feels really cheap. I've had the EVO in my hands for about half a minute and immediately could tell it was a premium device -- the Incredible is not. We're in for a treat guys, once this phone comes out there will be no debate on which is better.

Also, if the only 2 major complaints is the $10 fee and the fact that 4G service is premature... then I think we're in pretty damn good shape.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones