Evo glass - weak or just bad luck?

Last Updated:

1. phantomevo77

phantomevo77 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So guys, I have been LOVING my Evo and today, something happened to my baby and I'm incredibly devastated. Glass is SHATTERED.

Heres how it happened.

I was getting gas at a local gas station and I was getting a call, pulled it out of my pocket and slipped out of my hand, landed, didn't hear any crack or breaking. As my heart dropped while it was falling, here I am thinking, "No cracking or break sounds, I'm good". The battery cover popped off and was screen down on the ground.

I popped the battery cover on, and turned the phone around, and.........
    [​IMG]
    BAM! Glass is shattered.

Mind you this was from my pocket, so it was like a 3 foot drop. WEAK. I'm so PISSED, good thing I got TEP from Sprint, but I don't have the $100 for the deductible. So I'm stuck using a weakass, shattered, Evo until I can come up with the $100 for it. Yes everything still works, I got a BodyGuardz so its still smooth with no sharp glass edges.

I AM SO PISSED!!!!!!

Has anyone have this happened to them before? I dropped my old iPhone 3GS from like 6-7 Feet and nothing happened, so I was PRAYING my Evo would be the same, nope. Shattered and

Here are some more pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics from my iSight camera on my Mac so they are turned around as I dont have any other camera.

Advertisement
  2. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should have gotten a case.... Iphone 4 already had reports of glass breaking. Not HTCs fault

kmbutts likes this.
  3. phantomevo77

I highly doubt a case would have done much with how much and how bad it is cracked.

4. pgus13

pgus13 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why everyone blames HTC or Sprint for glass break when it is dropped on the cement.....

Sorry about what happened and it sucks!

5. phantomevo77

I am in no way shape or form blaming Sprint or HTC. Its my fault i'm just surprised that it cracked so bad from a small fall.

6. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

So if its not HTC fault, who's is it? Apples?

7. phantomevo77

Did I EVER mention it was HTC's fault? Uhm... No..

8. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Ummm it's ummm glass. Like you said you have TEP, so its all good.
    Maybe one day they'll invent a phone with a crystal clear screen that bounces when it's dropped.

9. alnova1

Ummm..thats my point. You said it wasn't there fault so who's is it? I know, the guy that didn't have body armor around his phone.

10. phantomevo77

Exactly, I said it was my fault.

11. Norwester

Norwester Well-Known Member

I dropped mine last night from a height of 3+ ft.It landed on its corner on concrete and then bounced down a couple steps. The Seido Active case probably saved it. Sorry but if you don't case your phone and then drop it,its nobodies fault but your own.

12. alnova1

I'm not saying its your fault. I have dropped phones without cases and haven't had breakage.

13. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

Glass breaks.. in fact you can see in your photo exactly what happened, it hit the corner and sent a 'shockwave' through the glass.

In the EVO's case it is going to be more prone to breakage on drops due to the lack of any sort of Bezel to absorb the impact.. each time you drop it (lets hope that stays at a one count) you are essentially dropping it right on the glass.

Take ANY piece of glass (except tempered glass of course) and drop it on the corner, odds are it will shatter and not simply 'chip' as people seem to expect.

Not sure why people expect it to be tougher, glass is glass. Even the so called Iphone4 toughness didn't hold up.. dozens have shattered in the first day alone.

All you can do is pony up the deductable.
    One thing I'm curious about.. if it gets replaced do you get to KEEP the original for spare parts?? If not, at least you can tell them the battery fell down the sewer grating it fell on :p

14. htc.EVOlution

htc.EVOlution Well-Known Member

well obviously it sounds like your blaming someone.. your title is somewhat implying something. anyways, an Active case form Seidio will definitely help you. soft polymer silicon will absorb that kind of impact.

15. SolApathy

SolApathy Just another robot Guide

It's just how it hits the ground. The smallest drop can crack the glass of any device. Its a stress fracture.

16. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Even though its user error phone developers should have this in consideration as phones getting dropped is a fact of life. The weight of this phone and size of the screen make me extra cautious when handling it.

17. timlot1

timlot1 Active Member

Wow. Thats my nightmare right there. I decided not to go for the insurance, because I've never needed it before. I've pre ordered a Seidio Rugged case so hopefull it provides enough protection for small drops. It has full protection from the elements ie: light rain, dust that I was lookin for and certainly looks beefy enough to protect from a fall.

[​IMG]

18. yaaah_hoo

yaaah_hoo New Member

I have dropped my Evo 3 times already so far I've been fortunate no glass breaking. One when running on treadmill (4 feet), one from pocket (3 feet) and yesterday on ledge to the garage floor (4 feet) the last one scared the hell out of me. I since bought a hard plastic case for it.

19. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

Dropped mine from the same height getting out of my car onto pavement. Fell face down. Had a sprint screen protector on, but nothing was scratched, it only protects the center. Only a couple of small dings on the plastic edge. The back cover had a bunch of marks, did a couple of flips, but they actually disappeared after a couple days, looks new again, maybe its self healing material. Hated the anti glare screen protector one that I had on, going naked now. Screen looks a hundred times better without it.

20. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

You guys all have butter fingers. How is it possible to be so clumsy with a phone this big? I haven't dropped my phone a single time since I got it.

21. IncredibleTom80

IncredibleTom80 Member

that hurts to look at .. sorry that happened dude.

22. Bnice

Bnice Guest

I just don't see the point of this post, come on some will survive a few falls others won't,its glass and then have the nerve to say well my iPhone this and some wonder why iPhone get bash on,I've drop every phone I've own that's why you get insurance use it.

23. jerzeywill

jerzeywill Well-Known Member

Glass breaks it's a fact whether it's Evo or iPhone. I carry phone in case and use Bluetooth so don't need to take out phone out of case on the go. I also don't walk and type. I had 3 iPhones before Evo and never broke one yet.

24. v01rider

v01rider Well-Known Member

thats why you dont carry you phone in your back pocket or take it on a roller coaster........some people just cant have nice things. ive taken my battery back of several times to do a battery pull. i call bs and not being responsible.

25. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight...glass breaks when you drop it on concrete? Well, I think the moral of the story is to have your wife/girlfriend pump your gas for you while you sit in air conditioned comfort surfing at 4G speeds.

thomez likes this.