evo gps question

Last Updated:

1. dpessing

dpessing Member

I recently got an evo and I have a question about the gps. I am slowly figuring out how to prolong my battery life and there is one question I have about the gps. I don't want to leave the gps on all the time, but I also don't want to have to turn it on manually everytime I want to use an app that needs gps. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the gps automatically turn on when I open a gps app and then turn back off again when im done using it?

2. RestivoBC

RestivoBC Well-Known Member

As long as you don't have any apps running that are using the GPS, you shouldn't need to worry about turning it off. The phone itself doesn't use GPS to locate you all the time. If you are running a weather app, for example, turn off the GPS location feature (if available), most apps will still be able to locate you based on 3g and/or wifi.

I leave mine n all the time, with no negative impact on battery or performance. :D
    dpessing likes this.
  3. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I have done much playing with various options isolated. GPS on did not significantly affect battary much to care.

With one exception. Was running weatherbug elite. THAT caused my GPS to drain my battary in record time. So dumped the app, use other weather solutions and now just leave GPS on.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

Ditto on leaving GPS on all the time. I do it with no significant impact on battery life. As for weatherbug, it has a setting for whether to use GPS or not.
  5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Interesting to know but am happy with other solutions now. Have the weather Chanel app plus a number of weatherunderground pages bookmarked on Dolphin.