Evo hardware failure, screen died and I had to returnSupport

Last Updated:

1. StrongBad18

StrongBad18 Member This Topic's Starter

I had to return my Evo today because the screen died last night while I was trying to take a picture of my girlfriend. I accidentally hit the zoom button instead of the shutter, and when I went to close that menu the screen went dark. The backlight was still lit, but nothing was visible on the screen. I tried taking the battery out and then trying again and a couple of times got the android recovery menu to load or the Evo boot screen to load, but shortly after lines would show up on the screen and the image would kind of melt away. Sadly, my radio shack is sold out and now I have to wait for their next shipment while I struggle to deal with a crappy free feature phone that I'm essentially loaning until my replacement comes in stock.

Anyone else have a screen failure, or am I extremely unlucky?

Advertisement
  2. StrongBad18

StrongBad18 Member This Topic's Starter

Ugh, there are no replacements handsets in the city. I'm completely out of luck, and this feature phone is killing me.

3. catm0311

catm0311 New Member

I had a similar issue today. I was in the middle of a text and the screen started to flicker and disapeared. I rebooted it and the load up screen was flickering and just went black. I can here it load up and can take a call if called but the screen always remains dark.

4. mven74

mven74 New Member

my wife had the same problem with her phone. radioshack replaced it. then it happened again on her new phone today. already called the radioshack manager and will be getting a replacement soon...i hope. i have no idea what caused this issue.

5. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Damn, how bad does that suck to have to explain to your g/f that trying to take a pic of her broke the camera...

6. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

She must have a GREAT personality :eek:

J/K! ;)

7. kreed

kreed New Member

Just had the same problem, hoping that radioshack takes it back. It'll be 31 days.

8. RoadkillStewie

RoadkillStewie Well-Known Member

day 38, and dead screen. Had taken a call, screen flashed for a second after I had taken it from my ear... then nothing, but the backlight.

Sprint has no replacements, BestBuy has no replacemens and no loaners available.

9. Donovan

Donovan Member

My Evo white 003 activated yesterday started flickering screen then the whole screen went blank. I removed battery then install minutes later but nothing happened. The screen is blank but I could hear start up sounds. The bottom user keys were lit but screen remains blank. At the same time the device ran real warm also. I guess I have to go to best buy tomorrow.

Updated: The morning after screen went blank I tried once more to start up my evo. To my surprise the screen appeared.

What might have happened?