• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo has been drenched in water

i know i know, but my EVO has been drenched in water when I woke up to find it was floating in the clean cup of water next to my bed

It's been drying out for a week or so now, does anyone think it might just need a new battery and it will work? Because I have another HTC battery for a different phone.. but i don't want to risk THAT battery if it will ruin it..?

argh please help!

First, you did the right thing by letting it dry for a week and NOT touching it. I see many people that immediately try to turn it on, when the phones still wet, and it obviously frys the phone.

Second, does the battery you have now not work? Or are you just worried it might cause problems? Honestly if you let it dry for a week I think it will be fine. It may not hold a charge completely, so you may need another battery, but I dont think anything will happen to it now.

Upvote 0
for some reason, this phone will still NOT charge. could it be it has been fryed? how do i know it's fried..?

im thinking of putting my friends my touch slide battery in here but i dont want to mess up the battery of the mts. do you think this is a good experiment to see if its the battery?

i wonder if there is anyone out there that could fix this for me if this thing CAN STILL be fixed?

Upvote 0
Alright I will try to do the sprint store thing. Do you or anyone know how to tell if the thing is fried? Well I guess if the battery doesn't work but if I tried turning on the device after its been only dried out after an hour or so does that act in itself automatically fry it??

If the liquid you dropped it in contains dissolved ions, it makes the liquid conductive, which means you have the potential to short something. Pure water won't short anything.

So it depends on how pure the water is, and how much it has evaporated...

Upvote 0
Alright I will try to do the sprint store thing. Do you or anyone know how to tell if the thing is fried? Well I guess if the battery doesn't work but if I tried turning on the device after its been only dried out after an hour or so does that act in itself automatically fry it??

Actually, you might want to try the rice trick first for a couple of days to absorb all of the water out before taking it to the store and testing it.

Upvote 0
Agree on the rice trick - but wrap the phone very loosely first - cheesecloth if possible.

And put the whole thing in a warm - NOT hot - area. Rice - water... you know.

You want the rice to act as a desiccant (or just use a desiccant if you can buy some locally) - but you want to keep the rice out of the innards.

Ser novox77 is correct - there's a chance that left over particulates / salts can lead to shorting - but fwiw, WifelyMon's managed to bathe two phones without that being an issue. YMMV, as always, applies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones