• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EVO here....Epic root questions.

flyjbaker

Android Expert
Oct 17, 2009
I am from the EVO camp and my buddy has an Epic 4g. He is interested in rooting but is totally new to it. I am somewhat proficient with the EVO, but obviously not the Epic. I guess my biggest question, and a very basic one at that, is how to boot into recovery on the epic? And it seems that the one click root method installs clockworkmod on the phone as part of the install? I just want to confirm that? ANd I guess navigating the clockworkmod recovery menu is similar to the EVO(I know many people can't answer that but it would help if somebody could)? I guess all I am really looking for is what keys do what for navigating the menu....up...down...enter...

Anyway, I want to help him root his phone but I do not want to get it rooted and then send him off into the ignorant wilderness with no basic knowledge of what is going on. I want to be able to show him how to get into the menu and do a nandroid and be able to flash a ROM or a recovery or kernel or whatever.

Thank y'all so much for reading and in advance for the advice!!!!

And I may be getting ahead of myself, but what Wireless Tether .apk works best with this phone....we get VERY mixed results on the EVO.

I guess all I am really looking for is what keys do what for navigating the menu....up...down...enter...

Anyway, I want to help him root his phone but I do not want to get it rooted and then send him off into the ignorant wilderness with no basic knowledge of what is going on.

And I may be getting ahead of myself, but what Wireless Tether .apk works best with this phone....we get VERY mixed results on the EVO.

It's Very similar to Evo clockwork, up/down volume to move around but you have to use camera button to make your selection.

To get into clock work recovery power on the phone while holding Vol Down + Camera + Power button. keep holding till you see green screen.

any other questions you can use this page

[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for the Epic 4g! Permament Method! FINAL! FIXED! - xda-developers

The wifi tether in the market works great, most people recommend Mobile AP from the Original Galaxy S, you'll have to delete the sprint hotspot first for MObile AP to work. That gets into a whole another thing deleting bloatware. I've seen you on the forums so I 'm sure you can help with that.

[MOD] MobileAP from i9000 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Thank you kindly sir. I just got finished rooting it(at least I think I am rooted...superuser icon in app tray...I am in a foreign country so can't really get on the netwirk although I have wifi access so gonna go try terminal emulator to see wassup for sure) and now I am gonna go digging around in the recovery menu just to get acclimated. I will have to say rooting this phone is quite easy for sure. It did take me a few attempts but about the 3rd or fourth attempt...bingo. The Android developers are nutty crazy good!!! Anyway, he wants Froyo on this thing so I am gonna see if I can hook him up assuming I feel comfortable with the recovery menu/nandroid etc. Still welcome all advice!!!!...and thanks again for your reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones