EVO in Afghanistan - 184 Hours Battery Life

Last Updated:

1. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned This Topic's Starter

I'm in Afghanistan and I can't use my EVO because the WiFi on base utilizes PPOE. Well, I have listened to music once but other than that my EVO has been resting in the ON position. I leave the phone in airplane mode and the Seidio 1750 mah battery I use has kept the phone going for 184 hours now. I arrived in Afghanistan on 3 September. I wish I had a camera or screenshot (not rooted) for proof but you all will have to just believe me.

Also, I stopped in Turkey and another place I cannot name before my arrival in Afghanistan. Well, when you are in a crowded room with people who are on laptops, the EVO doesn't fair to well wifi reception wise. I don't know if laptop's using wifi in a room block out the EVO but I had a problem in Turkey just getting onto the WiFi in the PAX terminal. Also, I went to a different country and I sat at our electronics charging station within our tent. Well, the EVO could not pull up the internet being between a few laptops. The night before I didn't have the problem. Anyway, I moved to the other side of this huge tent with WiFi and I got onto the internet when I got into my bunk.

Oh, I have 66% remaining on the battery.

Advertisement
  2. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

be careful, dude.

3. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Holy craaaaap dude! I didn't think it would last three days even WITH all the radios and connections cut off!

4. thaboyz

thaboyz Well-Known Member

I thank you for serving our country

5. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Do you have Froyo? My wifi reception was a little bit better with the update.

Also thanks for freedom!

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I had a similar experience. I left my Evo playing mp3s with all radios off, just to see how the battery would fare if used as an "iPod." I got 5.5 days of straight music playing. I'd say that outperforms any real iPod.

7. Slick1020

Yeah, I'm running Froyo. Let me rephrase. It probably has something to do with saturation more than reception. Like what Steve Jobs encountered when he introduced the iphone 4.

8. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

*Salute*

9. pb pedis

pb pedis Active Member

Slick,

Thank you for everything you're doing in service to our country. You have our respect and prayers.

I think the issue you had with the EVO in a room crowded with Wifi users relates to the limits of the Wifi terminal servicing that many users at once and creating a bottleneck of both users and available bandwidth. I understand the Wifi radio to be just as capable as any laptop radio to intercept signal, so I don't believe you were preempted by anyone's laptop radio.

10. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member

Your a brave soul brotha!!

11. Traceamount

Traceamount Well-Known Member

I once got 88 hours out of 1 charge, didnt switch to airplane mode, phone only had minimal use, but at least an hour a day of my daughter on YouTube lol. Stock battery too. Good luck out there gettin/usin the WiFi's and bigger Gee Bees!! Srsly though be safe!

12. LoveMyPhone

LoveMyPhone Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say THANKS for what you do and wish you a safe return home. I pray for all our service men and women every day! God Bless YOU!

13. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

Dude, why would you take your EVO with you! Not only will you have to protect yourself, but you will also have to protect your EVO now!

Be safe, you and your EVO and thank you for doing what you do!!!

14. tucsonstan

tucsonstan New Member

Thanks for your service to our country, stay safe and watch your back. ;)

15. Slick1020

I took my EVO with me so I could use the phone as my laptop basically. When I went to Iraq last year, we had Wifi throughout most of the base. When I deploy Sprint has to put my account in a frozen status for deployed members. That means I do not have any insurance on my phone. My rental insurance would have to cover the cost of my EVO if something happened to the phone. Not to mention when I return stateside, I normally have to call my friends when I stop on the east coast momentarily. Will need the EVO because that's where all of my numbers are stored.

ballpoint likes this.
  16. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

PM me your mailing address, I want to get a care package together for you. How long is your tour?

Thank you for your service.

UserName872, eric3316, whtge8 and 2 others like this.
  17. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

Be safe and thank you for your service.

Wow! That's amazing battery life.

dsimpson likes this.
  18. keithquick

keithquick Member

i had about the same thing with the droid eris, i have it on airplane mode and only use it for an alarm clock for work in the mornings, have fun here i leave afghanistan in a few days to go back state side and im going to verizon first thing and pick up the X

19. AndremG

AndremG Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for protecting our freedom. Be careful and be safe. Come home and share more EVO stories with us.

20. chicano

chicano Well-Known Member

Slick1020, this is why I kept my HTC Touch Pro 2- we are on rotation to Afghanistan next fall... The TP2 has wifi and can add a sim card (GSM/CDMA)... I heard about the famous sim cards being sold out there...

I would think I would use my Evo for movies and music out there and my TP2 to make calls... well at least try... I have never been deployed. Luckily, I am in a Signal Battalion.

Stay safe brother.

21. suedinaz

suedinaz Active Member

Thank you for your service to our wonderful country and its people! Your bravery, courage, commitment, sacrifices and everything you put on the line to keep us safe and free is worth more than I could ever thank you for.

22. Slick1020

I hope HTC pitches to Sprint an EVO II with a sim card for GSM while traveling abroad but you can only use CDMA while stateside.

Thanks everyone for all of your words and prayers. I must give credit to where credit is due and that's the Army and Marines. Those branches must deal with the enemy everyday, but still win the hearts and minds of the Afghan people. Say prayers for them as well as the soldiers who are here with us from other countries.

23. XOS THW

XOS THW Well-Known Member

Thank you for fighting for us!

That's awesome you got 184 hours!!!!!!

24. ca92807

ca92807 Member

I salute you and all the men & women who put their lives on the line in service to our country. God's speed and blessings to you.

ballpoint likes this.
  25. Slick1020

378 hours since last unplugged and I have 28% remaining on my battery. My EVO has been going on one charge since 3 September!