Evo in Europe Using GPS?

Last Updated:

1. inhot

inhot Member This Topic's Starter

OK, got my EVO. Like it a-lot. We decided to take avacation to England. Checked with Sprint and was told the Evo is not able to be used in England. Even though I can't use it as a phone I thought it woud be great to use he EVO as a GPS while in England. Is there a way I to use a GPS map program without a connection, just using the GPS connection?

Advertisement
  2. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Assuming the phone won't get data connection, you'd have to use some sort of mapping program that uses offline maps stored on the SD card for the parts of England you're visiting. There are some out there, but since I use Google Maps almost exclusively I haven't kept up. There was a thread either here in the Evo subforums or on the main Android software forum with offline GPS software.

The GPS should work fine, however. It might take longer to get a lock since you won't have compatible cell towers to do an assist with, but I don't forsee any problems. I've used other phones in a similar circumstance (no data connections at all, but still functioning GPS with offline mapping programs).