• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Input Lag?

ok well one person here says he cant notice the lag and the other says he notices a stutter. when do you see it stutter? when switching screens or what? also hows the keyboard? any lag? accurate? thanks again

i really want to get the evo but lag will bug the shit out of me an make me think, why should i pay all this money for something when i can have one that doesnt lag.

Upvote 0
I think part of the issue could be having a ton of extra stuff open and not killing processes. Even with the extra memory you can still fill it with enough junk open. Especially with a new device which is likely getting constant attention.

Root and use auto killer our get a task manager from market. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
Let me also add I can make any device lag. Iphone incredible, hd2, evo whatever so dint get your panties in a wad.

Yea everybody needs to calm down. I can definitely see the lag in the Multitouch Vis Test (even with all apps killed), but I cannot tell the difference in everyday tasks (the browser, for example)

Conclusion: Yes it lags slightly, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER because you won't notice it.

Reactions: acp
Upvote 0
Watch him scroll through the page when he picks the app. You can see the stutter and lag. I've played with an Incredible before and haven't seen that. This sucks, but it's pretty minor and doesn't keep me from buying.

To all those thinking 2.2 will fix it.....No. Most likely not. It would have to be a driver fix. Just because the JIT compiler makes Apps faster doesn't mean the OS and especially multi-touch faster. Don't assume that any fix is on the way for this. It's pretty minor and seem hardware embedded. I'm going to play with one once I can get my hands on one. If I find it acceptable (which still looks like) I'm still 100% for it.

Upvote 0
see some people are reporting lag and some aren't. i dont know what to do know. for those of you who have the evo, should i still go for it and get it on june 4th? as we all have been saying, i hope an update, froyo, or maybe just by killing programs in the background fixes this.

for those of you with the evo keep me posted on your experience with the evo. maybe do some testing or try some apps etc. thanks

The only "lag" i experience is with a very slight stuttering motion when scrolling through apps are switching to different windows. For me at least, it really isn't a big deal; everything else about the phone is excellent. I have only downloaded one app so far(barcode scanner), and i have 4g,wifi,gps, disabled, so i don't think its the apps running in the background (unless the preloaded apps like sprint tv and sprint nav are constantly running. I got a chance to compare my evo with the incredible(cousins) tonight at a family bbq, and most of my family were COMPLETELY enamored with the evo; the incredible had some very respectable comments, but the evo grabbed most of the attention. Once again, i don't think most ppl will really notice the lag, and i hope its solved with an update, but it really isn't that major to me. If you've been thinking about getting an evo, i would go for it!

BTW...this is the first time that i really got to compare the EVO and incredible's touchscreens; from a non scientific standpoint, they look EXTREMELY similar in terms of brightness(same setting), color saturation, and sharpness; the EVO had a smaller viewing angle, but ppl were instantly blown away by the size, vividness, etc.. of the screen.NOONE commented on the Incredible's screen, while the EVO had a ton of compliments. At a glance, the two screens were roughly equilvalent, with the EVO taking the cake with its larger size. The evo also felt ALOT more substantial, with its heft.

Sorry guys...im borderline rambling...nevermind, already there!:D

Upvote 0
The only "lag" i experience is with a very slight stuttering motion when scrolling through apps are switching to different windows. For me at least, it really isn't a big deal; everything else about the phone is excellent. I have only downloaded one app so far(barcode scanner), and i have 4g,wifi,gps, disabled, so i don't think its the apps running in the background (unless the preloaded apps like sprint tv and sprint nav are constantly running. I got a chance to compare my evo with the incredible(cousins) tonight at a family bbq, and most of my family were COMPLETELY enamored with the evo; the incredible had some very respectable comments, but the evo grabbed most of the attention. Once again, i don't think most ppl will really notice the lag, and i hope its solved with an update, but it really isn't that major to me. If you've been thinking about getting an evo, i would go for it!

BTW...this is the first time that i really got to compare the EVO and incredible's touchscreens; from a non scientific standpoint, they look EXTREMELY similar in terms of brightness(same setting), color saturation, and sharpness; the EVO had a smaller viewing angle, but ppl were instantly blown away by the size, vividness, etc.. of the screen.NOONE commented on the Incredible's screen, while the EVO had a ton of compliments. At a glance, the two screens were roughly equilvalent, with the EVO taking the cake with its larger size. The evo also felt ALOT more substantial, with its heft.

Sorry guys...im borderline rambling...nevermind, already there!:D

its ok rambling is fine haha. so how was the evo compared to the incredible speed/lagginess wise? and what do u mean smaller viewing angle?

and u mean it stutters between switching through screens or when switching apps?

edit: and im almost positive those apps are running in the background. someone else said all the sprint and sense apps were and that he was trying to figure a way to shut them off.

Upvote 0
what i mean by lagging/stuttering is when you flick your finger up/down when looking for apps, or flicking from right to left and vice versa; there's a little bit of a "hiccup/snag" thats barely noticeably, but not completely smooth. It may be due to these darn sprint apps running in the background...i hope someone figures out a way to switch those off. Compared to the incredible, it lags just a teeeeny bit more; the incredible with live wallpaper switched off is completely smooth(or almost), flicking from side to side on the incredible is a little faster as well...this maybe due to some preinstalled app differences.

what i mean by viewing angle is that the EVO tends to wash out a little bit if viewed at an extreme angle (this is pretty inherent to lcds televisions as well), while the incredible has a wider viewing angle; it maintains its image better when viewed from an extreme side(similar to a plasma tv, in fact one of the biggest advantages of plasma). This doesnt really matter to me as i dont think ill be looking at my phone from a weird angle. The image quality when looking dead on is remarkably similar(its almost exactly what was mentioned in the engadget review, when the reviewer was saying that the amoled in the nexus one and the tft in the EVO were both relatively equally vibrant) The evo took the cake though with the screen size; literally nobody was looking at the incredible at the bbq:p

Reactions: lyons238
Upvote 0
on a side note, a few of my family members were comparing the phones; they mentioned how much "better" the evo seemed in terms of total package (they're not phone experts), one of them mentioned that the EVO was like the incredible on steroids; i actually felt bad for the owner of the incredible; bad analogy but...it was kinda like someone comparing two kids, and constantly mentioning how much bigger,faster, and stronger the other one was, not to mention better looking :)

Upvote 0
what i mean by lagging/stuttering is when you flick your finger up/down when looking for apps, or flicking from right to left and vice versa; there's a little bit of a "hiccup/snag" thats barely noticeably, but not completely smooth. It may be due to these darn sprint apps running in the background...i hope someone figures out a way to switch those off. Compared to the incredible, it lags just a teeeeny bit more; the incredible with live wallpaper switched off is completely smooth(or almost), flicking from side to side on the incredible is a little faster as well...this maybe due to some preinstalled app differences.

what i mean by viewing angle is that the EVO tends to wash out a little bit if viewed at an extreme angle (this is pretty inherent to lcds televisions as well), while the incredible has a wider viewing angle; it maintains its image better when viewed from an extreme side(similar to a plasma tv, in fact one of the biggest advantages of plasma). This doesnt really matter to me as i dont think ill be looking at my phone from a weird angle. The image quality when looking dead on is remarkably similar(its almost exactly what was mentioned in the engadget review, when the reviewer was saying that the amoled in the nexus one and the tft in the EVO were both relatively equally vibrant) The evo took the cake though with the screen size; literally nobody was looking at the incredible at the bbq:p

yeah i actually kinda prefer a normal tft over amoled. there pretty solid while the amoled still has problems and is hard to see in the sun.

i rly wish the evo didnt stutter tho, its kind of a turn off. but well see how it reacts in hand on june 4

Upvote 0
Wow guys, really?

Phil even said in the video that it doesn't affect performance in ANY NOTICEABLE WAY when using multi-touch in a real-life environment. You guys are over reacting big time. There is no lag swiping from screen to screen, it just may seem like the Incredible does it faster because it has the smaller screen. The Evo comes loaded Sprint's bloatware including navigation, TV, Nascar, and a bunch of other stuff that will be removed (at least on my phone) when it gets rooted. Removing that bloatware will drastically speed everything up at least 20-30%, as it has on most all the other Android phones -- especially ones with Sense. Before you start making frowny crybaby faces and second guessing whether or not you should purchase the Evo, you need to wait til the 4th and have your own hands-on experimentation with the device.

Upvote 0
yeah i actually kinda prefer a normal tft over amoled. there pretty solid while the amoled still has problems and is hard to see in the sun.

i rly wish the evo didnt stutter tho, its kind of a turn off. but well see how it reacts in hand on june 4

Its funny, i was actually thinking the same thing before i bought the evo. I was watching unboxing videos, mobiletechreview, engadget, etc...and i was kinda put off by the slight lag. I decided to bite the bullet though, and i am liking this device the more i use it(its usually the opposite with me). It blew me away with the wow factor when i powered it on and used it the first day, and now it still just amazes me with its overall speed, functionality, and sleek appearance; its gotten to the point where i've almost forgotten about the stuttering issue. You'll just have to see for :Dyourself, and see if you'll be content with this particular device. If you're not, im sure there will be something better on the horizon. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Wow guys, really?

Phil even said in the video that it doesn't affect performance in ANY NOTICEABLE WAY when using multi-touch in a real-life environment. You guys are over reacting big time. There is no lag swiping from screen to screen, it just may seem like the Incredible does it faster because it has the smaller screen. The Evo comes loaded Sprint's bloatware including navigation, TV, Nascar, and a bunch of other stuff that will be removed (at least on my phone) when it gets rooted. Removing that bloatware will drastically speed everything up at least 20-30%, as it has on most all the other Android phones -- especially ones with Sense. Before you start making frowny crybaby faces and second guessing whether or not you should purchase the Evo, you need to wait til the 4th and have your own hands-on experimentation with the device.

lol thanks for the confidence booster. and maybe i am overreacting i just want my baby to be perfect haha

Upvote 0
Wow guys, really?

I understand your point, but my intention was just to answer a few questions about this since ive had it for about 4 days now. It isnt a big deal with me at all, but if someone asks a question, i will be completely honest about what i see, however imperceptible it may be. You're also right that it doesn't affect the functionality of anything. Just trying to answer a fellow posters questions. Didnt mean to offend anybody either

Reactions: lyons238
Upvote 0
lol thanks for the confidence booster. and maybe i am overreacting i just want my baby to be perfect haha

I can totally understand that -- but for the ones that are saying this is a deal breaker -- it's totally not. That "multi-touch" tester application is 3rd party, and it is possible that the software it runs isn't totally compatible with the Evo, which could also explain the performance.

Upvote 0
I understand your point, but my intention was just to answer a few questions about this since ive had it for about 4 days now. It isnt a big deal with me at all, but if someone asks a question, i will be completely honest about what i see, however imperceptible it may be. You're also right that it doesn't affect the functionality of anything. Just trying to answer a fellow posters questions. Didnt mean to offend anybody either

nah man your input is appreciated...i asked these questions. u gave me your honest experiences with the phone. cant ask for more than that...

edit: and ya i understand. its not a deal breaker for me at all just an area of concern. im hoping this tiny hiccup he is noticing between screens is not true for every evo or just a stupid problem

Upvote 0

Anytime, i was also asking questions and seeking info to make sure that i made the most confident purchase possible, so i completely understand your point. 450-500 dollars wasnt exactly a drop in the bucket for me, but i wanted the device and wanted to make sure i knew every possible thing about it before i took the plunge. I dont think theres anything wrong with that...hopefully its called smart purchasing:D

Upvote 0

Totally 100% not offended -- just trying to banish negative mislead thoughts. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones