EVO me Like, the pre installed Apps me don't likeTips

Last Updated:

1. Jayman34187

Jayman34187 Guest This Topic's Starter

How in the hell do you get rid of that stupid music player on the second screen, the nascar bullcrap?

Advertisement
  2. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Root is the only way. Although, its not the only reason to root. You can install faster kernels with better tracking, overclocking and free wireless tether.

Do it! Do it nao or you will regret it! Seriously, I finally rooted mine not long ago and it was so much better that rooting has replaced rebooting as the cure-all for issues on android phones. :)

3. Bikegeek

Bikegeek Well-Known Member

Or you could put your finger on them and hold a bit and drop them in the trash.

ThatNewAndroidGuy likes this.
  4. archercc

Ah, didnt think he meant widgets. Good call. Should still root though, even though you ditch the widgets the apps are still there (and likely in memory).

5. Jayman34187

Jayman34187 Guest This Topic's Starter

if you root phone and have a problem can you reset phone back to factory?

6. mrphy42

mrphy42 Member

The only thing stopping me is I don't want to risk ruining my phone. The bloatware on it is a battery killer and frankly annoying, but not enough for me to turn it into a useless brick if something goes wrong, or to void my warranty making it a risk in case I ever need to have it worked on or replaced.

7. Awful

Awful Well-Known Member

I downloaded launcher pro;) and just "hid" the bloatware stuff.

8. mrphy42

mrphy42 Member

For me it isn't so much that I don't want to see it, it is that it is constantly turning itself on, and running if I want it to or not.

9. archercc

You can restore the phone to factory but the big thing is you can do the basic root, which is easy, and then create a NAND backup. This is essentially a 100% backup of the phone's memory so that if you mess something up you can restore it. It restores everything: widgets, logins, etc.

The basic root just unlocks the memory, installs recovery software (where you can make backups and install other ROMs) and a stock ROM with a super-user application. Then you can install something like root explorer and nix all of that sprint bloatware.

This is essentially what I am on. A rooted version of the most recent update (the braniacs at XDA get those things out almost immediately), deleted all of the sprint bloatware and then installed one of toast's kernels because I like its tracking better and it makes nice with the free wireless tether application.

Every time I make a change I just make a new NAND backup so if I screw something up (and I have) I just restore.

mrphy42 likes this.
  10. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

I was the same way at first -- terrified I'd brick my phone. But I read-up on as much as I could about rooting, recovery, HBOOTs and ROMs and finally took the plunge.

I got stuck in an HBOOT loop once but knew how to recover from that. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying trying out numerous ROMs to see which one is best for me.

The experts don't recommend it, but I used Unrevoked(.com). It only took 5 minutes and I haven't heard of anyone having serious problems with the latest version.