Evo network connection issues/recall?

Last Updated:

1. Rhys'Droid

Rhys'Droid Member This Topic's Starter

Alright, first off, I was told this at a Walmart in the middle of no where, so take it with a grain of salt.. After checking at all of the Best Buys and Radio Shacks in my area, and finding them completely sold out of Evo's, I go to my local Walmart (last choice...not a fan of buying tech at Walmart...), and I am told by the cell phone salesperson (a very nice older woman) that she was hesitant to sell me the phone because of "network connection problems and a possible recall of the phone." She also told me to watch the Sprint website for more information. Now, I'm thinking that this may be related to the SD card issue and/or the activation issues encountered on the first day due to Sprint's servers being overwhelmed, but I wanted to see if anyone else has heard anything about this before I port my number over from AT&T, as I need my cellphone to work, and with Sprint it isn't like with AT&T where I can buy a cheap Go-Phone at Walmart and put my SIM card in for a temporary fix... Anyway, I'm thinking that she is probably wrong, as I have found nothing about this with Google or on Android sites, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks guys!

-Rhys

Advertisement
  2. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Not a single issue here... I think she was full of it...

3. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Was she riding a unicorn?....lol...
    No way, as far as I can see the phone is a killer device. On Friday the Sprint system was strained, but that was from the influx in new accounts, and people buying the EVO...your good to go..

4. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

What more do you want me to say. So you would take the word of a saleswoman at Walmart over every tech columnists who has so far missed that story????

raqball likes this.
  5. vailmcc

vailmcc Member

Sprint had issues with their systems opening day, and there was an OTA fix for the SD card issue. Nothing else that I've heard.
    As you said, 'You have to consider the source'!
    I purchased my EVO Friday morning at Radio Shack and it did take about an hour and a half, due to Sprint's system failures. The OTA fix was completed before I paid for the phone. I'm happy as a clam with the device and recommend it highly!

6. Rhys'Droid

Nope, of course not. It just reaffirmed my aversion to buying tech at Walmart. That and I didn't want to wait around for an hour and a half for them to screw around trying to activate it due to their lack of experience/ignorance. This is precisely what I thought.

7. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

An elderly sales woman at Wally World told you this?

Ugh

8. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

I do know this. Sprint is renovating its web browser and yesterday I had issues getting on line but finally got a message splash page that the web was down as they put it, for a better and more pleasant browsing experience in the future. You gotta love the PR spin Drs. :D

9. Rhys'Droid

I suppose that that could be what she was referring to. Still, I do tend to discount any information I receive from Wal-Mart. I was just ready to go home yesterday, and didn't feel like standing around in Wal-mart for an extended period of time to get it activated, so this was enough to push me over the line to just wait until later to get it. :cool:

10. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

Somewhere, there is a very old lady working at WalMart who knows more about gadgets than anybody else it the world, but nobody will listen to her.

Granted, it wasn't this women who said there will be a recall, but she's out there.

Okay, she's probably not out there.

11. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart Well-Known Member

Maybe she was referring to the WiFi range complaints. It's abysmal and had been posted about widely.

12. Rhys'Droid

Bought it last night...at Walmart, I don't think that anyone in my area realizes that Walmart has the Evo with the instant rebate. Completely sold out every where else (RS, BB, etc.). Took over an hour...and I had to walk the people through porting my number and activation, but it got done! Gotta love the training they give the cell phone sales people at Walmart... Lovin' this phone!

13. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Wal-Mart: The Higher Cost of Lower Prices.

14. Rhys'Droid

Yep, pretty much...would have preferred to NOT buy it there, but it was the only place with them in stock. Meh

15. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

There are always going to be some issues with new releases. We are currently seeing issues with 4g and wifi signals. But this needs a firmware update, not a recall. Ever thing that is wrong with the phone is typical for a release and can be fixed.

16. Rhys'Droid

Yeah, that is what I thought. I don't care about 4G (not available in my area), but I did notice that the WiFi signal at my house was pretty weak, it did work just fine, but considering I was only 20 feet from my router, it seemed a bit off. Not worried about it, its a sweet piece of tech!

17. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Just use Speedtest to see what speeds you are DL. Then borrow a friends Hero and do the same test,

I promise, do this, you will have no more worries. Evo beats the Hero by 2 to 3 times the speed every time.

18. KASR

KASR Member

No problems here either. Whatever OTA fix they implemented, did the trick for me too.

19. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

I love my Evo. I haven't been able to test 4g yet, but everything seems to be working EXCEPT....

1. Turning the phone on is a major hassle. I can't do it at all if it's plugged in.

2. The YouTube app crashes frequently.

3. The HDMI out has not fully worked on any television I've tried it on. Each television lets me play one or two different things, but that's it.

4. I've been having problems with my calendar app. If I change an entry, for some reason it automatically moves the entry to the next day. Very frustrating.

Still, even with those things... I LOVE my Evo and am very happy I got it.

20. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

YouTube has been pretty bad for me too. I am glad im the only one. it takes forever to load vids and sometimes it says the video cannot be loaded.