Evo not charging well from other USB adapters?Support

Last Updated:

1. bassballboy

bassballboy Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, just wondering if this is just me or if anyone else has an issue with it.

When I try to charge my Evo off of my usb charging adapter from my zune, it either A) takes ~3x as long to charge, or B) won't charge at all.

Does the USB wall adapter that comes with the phone have something special in it? I'm drawing a blank... I mean even hooking it into the USB of my computer as charge only takes forever too.

Advertisement
  2. ayman86

ayman86 Well-Known Member

im still using my palm pre wall charger. i havent even opened my htc one.

3. wega1985

wega1985 Active Member

A charger that pushes 1A is preferred. This is the current on the stock charger, and the Pre charger as mentioned above. Anything under that will be slower. A standard USB port is 500 mA so will thus charge more slowly.

4. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Well-Known Member

I have a couple of iPhone chargers left. Do those meet that 1A criteria?

5. yellot00tr

yellot00tr Member

i tried a 1000ma charger in the car with a usb cord and it wouldn't work. using a 500ma charger, it worked fine. not sure how much that helps, but if u're looking for something to charge with in the car, just be aware of that. the 1000ma charger worked for the iphone 3gs.

6. Drew34m

Drew34m Member

I've been using the following Zune USB wall charger for a couple days now and it's working perfect:

Amazon.com: Zune AC Adapter: Electronics

I bought it through Amazon from Closeouts Master a couple weeks ago. I bought 8 of them for me and family for $18.57 total with shipping. At the time they were selling each charger for .01 and charged me $18.49 for the shipping. Looks like you can get a comparable price through a couple vendors.

I'm using the 10' and 15' USB to micro USB gold plated cords from Monoprice. The charge time seems to be equivalent if not a little better than the OEM wall charger. It puts out 5V/1.5A. The quality of the charger is second to none; however, its a little large. About 3" tall, 1" wide, and 2 1/2" deep. Overall, the product is a steal!

Hope this helps.

7. 1branchonthevine

1branchonthevine New Member

To answer your question, yes I have charging reliability issues too. Here is my situation...
    Charger 1 - Evo factory - 1000ma: works 100%
    Charger 2 - Samsung factory - 700ma: charges for a few minutes to a few hours, then evo stops accepting charge.
    Charger 3 - generic universal - 500ma: charges for a few seconds then evo stops accepting charge.
    Charger 4 - 2 usb port universal car charger - 1000ma (shared): works 100%, even when shared.

(all chargers above work 100% on Samsung Moment.)

The next test will be:
    Charger 5 - computer usb port - current to be determined: n/a

I have come to a premature conclusion that the charging current is the culprit for effective charger acceptance. As for the shared current car charger working 100% (even when shared), I'm guessing it is because this charger uses a linear regulation circuit. All modern cell phone chargers use switching regulation circuitry... so my theory is that the evo has such a high loading charging current, that the voltage drop on the under rated chargers causes them to become unstable and the evo cuts the charge off. Most phone makers drop the charge load current (charges slower) when the phone sees a non-branded charger, but it seems the evo is set at max charge at all times.

8. Jim M

Jim M Member

I've seen the same thing with my old HTC Touch Pro, charged just fine using the HTC adapter, not so well using anything else.

HTC's user guides state that most computer usb ports will only trickle chage the device.

9. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

They should state on the side of them their output.

So far the only charge I have run into an issue with is the one that came with a bluetooth headset but it was only a 350ma one, cheap bastards (Its a $120 headset too).

10. dequardo

dequardo Well-Known Member

An old post but a good question. Although the iPhone charging cube is rated at 1A output the EVO recognizes it as 'USB' vs. 'AC' and charges at the much lower rate. Only AC charger that works for me is the OEM HTC one.

11. chapflag2000

chapflag2000 New Member

I second this... my touch pro wouldnt charge.. and i simply got an EVO to fix that problem.. today my EVO stopped charging completely... time to take it back to radio shack.