• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo or Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.

david456

Lurker
Jun 27, 2010
So I've had my iPhone for a couple years, and i think it's time for a change. I want to try out android since it seems like it has a lot to offer, and it blows windows mobile out of the water. the problem is, I dont know whether to get the Evo or Droid X. I originally liked the Evo. It has a front-facing camera, fast processor, and it's about $10 per month less expensive than the droid x, plus sprint's nights are longer, the evo is 4g (although this is not very important to me), and sprint offers a variety of services such as mobile tv (has anyone used that feature yet). The problem is that verizon has exclusivity on skype, the droid x has a much better battery life, camera, and seems like the dimensions are a little more iphone like. however, it doesnt have a front facing camera, and i'm not too sure about their new blur or whatever it is. plus, i dont really like verizon (they do way too much at&t bashing, and that carrier will always have a place in my heart) and it's $10 more. what are your thoughts? thanks guys!

I say evo because if you decide you don't like sprint or the evo you have that 30 day window

Exactly. Play with both for a while. Do EVO first since it's already available and if you're not satisfied with it (keep it for at least 28 days so you can get a good feel and be out of the honeymoon period). If you're not happy with it, go to the Droid X and see if it suits you better. If it doesn't, then umm... iPhone 4?

Upvote 0
EVO costs less overall and I'm enjoying Sprints 3G network a lot as an ex iPhone 3GS user. Had the iPhones for about 2+ years.

The EVO is great in that you can do a few things very well:
-Browse the web
-Tether UNLIMITED for free
-Decent call quality

The EVO has a few issues, but most of them are the direct results of gross shortcuts:
-For example, the iPhone 3GS has a much much better video camera. The photos on the EVO are alright, but nothing special. But the video is as bad as it can be.
-The EVO has a 30 FPS cap so it stutters and feel less responsive than the iPhones and it seems like the Droid is much smoother.

Since the EVO is out, why don't you play around with it and then see what you think about it.

The Droid X is definitely the superior phone, but its also gonna cost more (service plan on Verizon) and depending on what you want out of your phone, it may not be that much better.

I will say as an EVO owner it's a little frustrating at how many different corners HTC cut on this one. But nonetheless, I'm not going back to AT&T and since Sprint is my only option, it's the EVO or maybe the Galaxy S Pro. If I had the money, I'd get the Droid X, even though it looks a bit funny.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Play with both for a while. Do EVO first since it's already available and if you're not satisfied with it (keep it for at least 28 days so you can get a good feel and be out of the honeymoon period). If you're not happy with it, go to the Droid X and see if it suits you better. If it doesn't, then umm... iPhone 4?

There are other options than the Evo or Droid x. The Incredible is a really nice phone/toy that is smaller if that's what you like.

OP:I am confused because you said the DX has deminsions more like the iphone. It was my understanding that DX screen size is 4.3 like the Evo, and DX is actually a little bigger than Evo.:thinking:

Upvote 0
So I've had my iPhone for a couple years, and i think it's time for a change. I want to try out android since it seems like it has a lot to offer, and it blows windows mobile out of the water. the problem is, I dont know whether to get the Evo or Droid X. I originally liked the Evo. It has a front-facing camera, fast processor, and it's about $10 per month less expensive than the droid x, plus sprint's nights are longer, the evo is 4g (although this is not very important to me), and sprint offers a variety of services such as mobile tv (has anyone used that feature yet). The problem is that verizon has exclusivity on skype, the droid x has a much better battery life, camera, and seems like the dimensions are a little more iphone like. however, it doesnt have a front facing camera, and i'm not too sure about their new blur or whatever it is. plus, i dont really like verizon (they do way too much at&t bashing, and that carrier will always have a place in my heart) and it's $10 more. what are your thoughts? thanks guys!

Just a warning to you: Posting EVO vs. Any other phone will result in the win of EVO on this forum. Just like posting an iPhone 4 vs. EVO, Droid X, God's phone will result in the win of iPhone on the Apple forums.

The BEST thing you can do for yourself is to compare each phone in hardware, software, network, etc. and decide for yourself which one is best for you. Look at reviews, 720p video comparisons, camera shot comparisons, performance comparisons, and what appeals to you more aesthetically.

Upvote 0
There are other options than the Evo or Droid x. The Incredible is a really nice phone/toy that is smaller if that's what you like.

OP:I am confused because you said the DX has deminsions more like the iphone. It was my understanding that DX screen size is 4.3 like the Evo, and DX is actually a little bigger than Evo.:thinking:

I think what he means is that the Droid X is thinner and skinnier than the EVO. The EVO is shorter, but it is wider. The iPhone's profile is more like the Droid X versus the EVO, the thinness especially.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
In addition to the Evo, I have 2 iPhones. The HTC Sense UI will be a much more comfortable transition coming from the iPhone to Android. For example, copy and paste is a dead copy of the Phones, and the UI will be much easier for you to get around. Motorola makes good quality phones ( I had a Droid before the Evo) but you will find more comfort transitioning to the Evo because of the Sense UI. Plus, the Evo is a very good device that works well, the Droid X is unknown at this time.

Upvote 0
Just a warning to you: Posting EVO vs. Any other phone will result in the win of EVO on this forum. Just like posting an iPhone vs. EVO, Droid X, God's phone will result in the win of iPhone on the Apple forums.

This is the truth man, unfortunately. But I tried to point out some pros and cons and you can dig up more in the reviews section. I wrote one here comparing it as an ex iPhone user:

http://androidforums.com/reviews-evo-4g/105701-evo-vs-iphone-3gs-review.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
IF this is true, then the Droid X must be made by Fisher Price. Cause the build on the EVOs isn't thaaaat great.

yeah the Droid X does look like it was made by Fisher Price, even though now that I think about it that might be a undeserved compliment.

and for the record I was referring to deign, not build quality even though the EVO's built quality is on par with any other smartphone out there. problem is these forums are a magnet for the 3% of people that got lemons so that is all you hear about.

Reactions: grotonSailor
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones