• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Owners -> X Owners

Do you have equal service from Sprint and VZW? That should be your first decision. Sprint coverage where I live is nearly non-existant where VZW service is more than acceptable.

Yep this should be the first decision, if you get great service with both then I think it would depend which plans are cheaper for you and if you will have to cancel service. Both phones are great, so you cant really go wrong.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I'm in the same boat here, currently with an EVO and still under the 30 day trial until july 24, I went to the verizon store yesterday and put my name down on the reserve list just in case I want to switch..which I think I do. Verizon has better coverage in my area, not by much but still better. What I want to know is, How would I go about cancelling the EVO so that I could still keep my phone number, if I port the number over will i still get the full 100% refund from sprint? Also, I already sent my rebate in, does this prevent me from switching?

Thanks in adv

Upvote 0
Ha this thread is great.....see so many people from the EVO threads that before the EVO was out, was saying how it was going to be the greatest thing compared to "abc" phone.

Here goes the same exact thing with the X, and I guarantee there will be some issues w/ the X that some of you will find and complain about. Repeat of EVO threads just with X instead.

Plain and simple there is no perfect phone, and majority of issues/defects are all by personal choice.

But hey good luck with the X, some dont want it just for the simple facts its on VZW and its Motorola.

In the end Android still wins.

Upvote 0
Where I live service is comparable and Price is cheaper on Sprint. However, I returned my Evo and am waiting for an X for a couple of reasons.

Family plan- I have many family members on Verizon and can't cancel them all.
HTC- although I love sense, I have had dust get under the screen of every HTC phone I've had and with light leaking on the Evo I am worried.
I don't have a big need or desire to make video calls. (front facing camera)
Battery life- the Evo is pretty poor.
Updates- with sense involved, HTC takes longer to release them.

Overall though, they are very comparable devices.

Upvote 0
No way I'd switch to Droid X from my EVO. Sprint is cheaper than Verizon. Here in DC, Sprint and Verizon's network are pretty much the same. (Except for service in the Metro tunnels; Verizon is better. Way back when Verizon was MCI, MCI and Metro entered into an exclusive agreement to provide cellular service underground in the subway tunnels. This exclusive agreement has since expired and now other carriers are slowly building our their underground networks.) Also, I just don't like the looks of the Droid X, it's a little to "industrial" for my tastes...

I guess I just got lucky, my EVO is flawless, and I haven't had any major issues with reception or customer service since I signed with Sprint 5 years ago... The Samsung Epic, however, just may make me trade in the EVO!

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
No way I'd switch to Droid X from my EVO. Sprint is cheaper than Verizon. Here in DC, Sprint and Verizon's network are pretty much the same. (Except for service in the Metro tunnels; Verizon is better. Way back when Verizon was MCI, MCI and Metro entered into an exclusive agreement to provide cellular service underground in the subway tunnels. This exclusive agreement has since expired and now other carriers are slowly building our their underground networks.) Also, I just don't like the looks of the Droid X, it's a little to "industrial" for my tastes...

I guess I just got lucky, my EVO is flawless, and I haven't had any major issues with reception or customer service since I signed with Sprint 5 years ago... The Samsung Epic, however, just may make me trade in the EVO!

I don't know why anyone would need a physical keyboard on a 4 inch screen. I really don't like the looks of the new samsung phones. If the Sprint Plans are cheaper for you and you get good service then I would keep an EVO as well. I think it depends on what carrier you are on, and how good of coverage you would get.

I could get good coverage on either carrier myself, but I am with Verizon and I am not cancelling my plan to go to Sprint. I would probably save 10 bucks a month there as well. But I have had great coverage with Verizon, and they have always been generous with helping me upgrade earlier than I should. I love everything so far about the X and I will be buying one.

I think all of the new phones coming out are going to be great, and we as consumers are at a time where we should benefit from all of these great phones.

Upvote 0
No phone is flawless, and I am damn sure some of these same posters will be trading in Xs at some point for some defect that bothers them and blow it way out of proportion.

I think the X is a superb phone, as it is practically a twin of the Evo and will be another Android beast. I just find it funny that people hype up a phone so much, and then those same people find an issue and jump all over it.

But hey its Android, atleast it will make phone calls and keep them lol.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
No phone is flawless, and I am damn sure some of these same posters will be trading in Xs at some point for some defect that bothers them and blow it way out of proportion.

I think the X is a superb phone, as it is practically a twin of the Evo and will be another Android beast. I just find it funny that people hype up a phone so much, and then those same people find an issue and jump all over it.

But hey its Android, atleast it will make phone calls and keep them lol.

Agreed, we can all make calls. I love most Android phones, and don't have any intentions of switching anytime soon. I think it is funny that since we have so many choices to pick from, we fight each other on who has a better android phone.

Upvote 0
Agreed, we can all make calls. I love most Android phones, and don't have any intentions of switching anytime soon. I think it is funny that since we have so many choices to pick from, we fight each other on who has a better android phone.

I think its great that there are so many options with Android super phones now, you basically can pick to your preference. A lot better than choosing one phone that's stuck on one carrier.

Upvote 0
Two questions:

In general, who has better overall build quality with their smart phones (phone easily lasts 2 years without problems)?

Where are Motorola phones made? EVO is made in ROC, I assume Motorola is Chi-com/PRC.

I tend to beat the crap out of my phones and my 3GS was fine in the woods in an Otterbox Commuter. I'm not getting the same warm feeling from my EVO and wonder if the DX will be more robust.

Upvote 0
Verizon's back dating has saved me hundreds of dollars!
1) Daughter sent and received 700+ text with no text plan, over $450 phone bill! VZW backdated plan to cover period if I added the unlimited texting plan for her phone for like $20
2) Wife had automatic updates of like store coupons sent to her phone and thought the service was free, not $40 per month charge by services she subscribed to. VZW canceled and removed charges.
3) Family emergency and went 800 minutes over plan! VZW back dated and let me double minutes for $20.
4) Had my HTC Incredible purchased from Best Buy for over 60 days. Hasn't worked right from day one. BB said sorry, over 30 days! Verizon is in the process of refunding my $ !!!!!
They rock.

Upvote 0
Verizon's back dating has saved me hundreds of dollars!
1) Daughter sent and received 700+ text with no text plan, over $450 phone bill! VZW backdated plan to cover period if I added the unlimited texting plan for her phone for like $20
2) Wife had automatic updates of like store coupons sent to her phone and thought the service was free, not $40 per month charge by services she subscribed to. VZW canceled and removed charges.
3) Family emergency and went 800 minutes over plan! VZW back dated and let me double minutes for $20.
4) Had my HTC Incredible purchased from Best Buy for over 60 days. Hasn't worked right from day one. BB said sorry, over 30 days! Verizon is in the process of refunding my $ !!!!!
They rock.

Wow, I always thought Verizon hooked me up, but man they have been good to you. Good to hear stories like this, good to know that they are willing to help out when they can.

Upvote 0
Well thats the great thing about being rooted and not having a locked bootloader. Rooted Evo's dont have a FPS cap ( Im avg 55-57 fps), zero lag, and froyo which took it from very good to awesome.

Last I heard that was only on the Epson screen. Plus, I don't want to worry about custom roms to make a phone work the way it should have from the factory. DX baby, only 6 days left!!

Upvote 0
Last I heard that was only on the Epson screen. Plus, I don't want to worry about custom roms to make a phone work the way it should have from the factory. DX baby, only 6 days left!!

Nah, the best dev's in the world working on the evo, both screens have been fixed and added some stuff htc prolly have no idea about. But about how it comes from the factory, unless you make the phone, you are always at the mercy of what the manufacturer thinks the phone should do as opposed to what you think it should do. But its great to have people who know how to make it do what its capable of doing. All manufacturers/carriers put some sort of limit on their phones.

Upvote 0
Why the switch?
1. The Wife, lol. I absolutely loved my EVO. But all I heard was 'you're breakin up', 'I hate Sprint', 'I can't see on this screen' (LG Elite), etc. I wasn't going to go thru that for 2 years!
2. Practically everyone we know is on Verizon. Cost our daughter an extra $50 before our 30 days were even up.

We have been with big red for 10 yrs , but I wanted the Evo and had no issues with the phone or CS for that matter. But reception inside some buildings sucked! 6 dropped calls in 3 weeks. Back to VZ

Upvote 0
They are both awesome, and I can't wait to hear about the X

So excited its on the charger now...This thing is sleek. My contract at Verizon was up I was going to wait until July 15th for the Droid X but I think the Evo looks a little better.

The deciding factor was sprint's plan. My buddy works there and hooked up my bill everything included for 60$ a month. This was major and sure beats a 120$ bill over a veri

Just wondering what you think? Don't really think there is a wrong choice and while I'm sure Verizon's network is better I couldn't justify paying 60 more a bill

Upvote 0
I'm on an evo and considering coming over to Verizon for the Droid x. The only thing that's making this a hard decision is my rate plan. I can barely keep a 4g signal around Chicago here, so that's not a factor. 3g is generally slower than verizon's, so that's enticing along with the x itself, but this 69 everything rate plan is a beauty.

Upvote 0
I'm on an evo and considering coming over to Verizon for the Droid x. The only thing that's making this a hard decision is my rate plan. I can barely keep a 4g signal around Chicago here, so that's not a factor. 3g is generally slower than verizon's, so that's enticing along with the x itself, but this 69 everything rate plan is a beauty.

I'm in the chicago area too with an Evo also and sprint is terrible around me, no or very little service.

So the verizon plan is $20 more a month basically than sprint...(except anytime minutes on verizon are not like sprints anytime non-mobile minutes)? To me that's totally worth it, to be able to make and receive calls!!

To OP, if sprint service in your area is solid like verizon is in mine, I might just stick with my evo too. But it's not, so X here I come!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones