• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO, PDAnet, Bluetooth, Windows 7 (UPDATE 3/31: it works!)

Yes, I just got it working today. Did you get it working? Pdanet has directions here:

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/bluetooth.php

At first it didn't work, but once I killed PdaNet and restarted it worked fine. Also I think you have to make sure that's the only bluetooth connection (that is, make sure your compueter isn't connected to the phone as a headset). I think you still cannot access secure websites without the pay version of PdaNet, but I'm not sure how that will work because the pay version is installed on the computer side, which you don't use during bluetooth connections.

Another note, I first tried just right-clicking and choosing DUN. Didn't work. You need to actually open the device as shown in the website above, then click "Connect" on the internet option.

Upvote 0
Hey Everyone,

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME TRYING TO GET BLUETOOTH TETHERING TO WORK ON PDANET ON EVO 4G.

I just spent three hours troubleshooting. First my phone wouldn't pair. Fixed that by uninstalling and reinstalling bluetooth driver on PC, windows 7 64 bit.

Then I wasted an hour trying to get the modem to connect. Searched all over and found out that I need to uncheck a couple boxes in general and make sure that I have the DUN bluetooth drivers installed after REPAIRING the phone, and then I need to make sure that it's using the bluetooth driver for the modem instead of the PDANET driver. Had a DNS problem, fixed it with some resets, then found out I need to type in 123 as the dialer number.

Finally it connected, amazing, Google loaded. Then COMPLETE SADNESS. It only worked for simple pages for jolts intermittently. Anything complicated shut it down, and by complicated I mean any site circa 2000 lol.

Don't waste your time, just warning you. Stick to USB tether, but here's some useful info for problems everyones having...

For those who somehow magically have a stable bluetooth tethering conection and are having trouble reconnecting to it later which pretty much everyone on the internet appears to be experiencing, follow these steps:

1) turn PDA net off
2) turn bluetooth off
3) turn bluetooth on, wait 10 seconds
4) turn on PDA net.
4) enable bluetooth tether
5) connect in modem settings

For those experiencing error 633, I recommend simply uninstalling and reinstalling bluetooth driver, or updating driver from the microsoft or MFG website.

-Philip J
consider myself nerdy enough to be trusted :D

Upvote 0
So i guess im a nub because i cant seem to figure it out at all everyone says "enable Blue tooth DUN" I bought a blue-tooth usb so i could connect to pdanet threw blue-tooth so i can get rid of all the wires. But i have tried to figure out how to set it up for the last hour and im getting frustrated so if someone can give me a better detailed instructions to set this up PLEASE DO!! i tried fallowing the directions on pdanet's website but NO GO!!!! Please help me out if you can!!!

Upvote 0
Was this quietly fixed in Windows 7 Service Pack 1? I don't have much of an explanation, but I tried this again after three months and it suddenly works.

Let me start from the beginning...

My setup: unrooted HTC EVO w/ Froyo and PDANet (paid version), Thinkpad T500 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit w/ integrated Broadcom Bluetooth adapter.

"Out of the box" the computer and phone did the "paired but not connected" intermittent connection thing that I have seen reported elsewhere. So I went to update the Bluetooth drivers. Although the Thinkpad has a Broadcom adapter, the Broadcom-branded drivers never worked on my laptop, so I was held hostage by Lenovo's drivers. Their most recent driver was released in August 2010. This at least caused the phone and computer to pair correctly, but all I got were the headset and audio functions - no DUN, and the "services" tab in the Windows device settings never showed DUN as an option. Actually, I don't ever remember it showing any options.

I probably spent hours on Google reading different forums, trying solutions that were posted for different phones, and finally in January (2011) I just gave up.

Got randomly motivated to try it again today and ran into all of the same roadblocks. Then I happened to check the Services tab for the EVO and, lo and behold, DUN was there and unchecked. I checked it, Windows installed some drivers, and now it all works perfectly. The only thing that has changed on my laptop since January is that I installed Service Pack 1 right after it came out.

So, if you are still having problems getting this to work in Windows 7, try installing SP1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones