Evo r2 vs Evo r3. Newer rev has different LCD.

Last Updated:

1. sebass

sebass Member This Topic's Starter

Evo r2 vs Evo r3. Newer rev has different LCD. Revision r2 is said to have better display (possibly samsung) and due to shortages of samsung's, possible because samsung selling their LCDs to motorola for new Droids X. It may look like HTC has changed the LCD supplier to more inferior one!? What you guys make of this whole thing. Please read those two articles i'm providing liks for. ???

Code (Text):
    1. http://androidheadlines.com/2010/06/evo-vs-evo-newer-models-have-new-displays.html
    Code (Text):
    1. http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/18/tale-evo-screen-woes-firsthand-account-video/

Advertisement
  2. mityman50

mityman50 Well-Known Member

Makes me very, very sadface. I want a replacement, but don't want a worse screen.

3. kaisies

kaisies Well-Known Member

can we get an official v2 vs v3 sticky already.. my god.:mad:

4. sebass

I did guys. Sorry i did not find it. If anyone can post a sticky or at least point me a link i would greatly appreciate it guys. :)

Edit
    The articles are not referencing screen separation issues but different screen contrast and brand.

5. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member

Oh teh noes!!!! 2012!!!

My 0003 has a better looking display and zero light leakage (and no pee stains!!!). I'm happy.

6. chipjan

chipjan Member

I think it comes down to taste. I had both the HW2 and HW3 revisions, and I prefer the cool tones of #3 over the warm tones of #2.

7. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

1) For the people who will never come in contact with another EVO, the revisions mean nothing... You won't have anything to compare to and your phone works... That's all that matters

2) Your phone is probably going to be cool for about a year at max, and after two years most people will look for a replacement (some sooner)... Some people (like me) will probably stretch it out 3 to 4 years, but by then, you probably want to switch anyways because your battery life will be pretty low anyways...

3) Super AMOLED is where its at anyways... When they come out with the Galaxy S, our screens no matter what revision would be pretty sucky...

4) I love the screen size and it's the main reason I went EVO... So unless either screen have a bigger screen real estate, it's alllllll gravy...

P.S. I'm semi color blind (oh I know others are too haha) so yeah, I can care less... (I also own a HW revision 2) However, I'm waiting patiently for the 30fps fix on the novatech screens... Woot woot...

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Tears about the significance and truth of the quality issue on the different screens are reaching tidal proportions.

Without full foundation in data.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/107746-new-lcd-screens.html

Punchline: Defective screens have lower light output, too.

Call out the marines! OMGZ PONIES!!!

There are plenty of WAY bright, WAY vivid, no-grounding-issue rev 2 phones out there - mine is one of them. Ditto for rev 3, both screen models.

This is only the third new thread in as many days trying to alert about the same thing.

Just read the other thread, above.

Then decide.

9. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Depending on what happens at my Tech appointment later tonight, I may have to go to Best Buy to get a replacement, so if it ends up that I am having hardware issues with my phone, I'll report any difference I might notice.

Then again, much like KAuss, I'm somewhat color blind (actually, studies have shown that men typically are color blind compared to women).

10. sebass

Hey guys. Thank you very much for guidance. Thanks@ earlymon for the link.
    It helped a lot! From what i also read on r2 vs r3 it seems that r3 has no issues and r2 versions still experience some issues.

11. evofreak

evofreak Active Member

Just exchanged mine and its 003. I watched the video where the guy showed how to tell the screen difference by hitting the brightness on the settings widget. Showed how the brightness was instant on new screen and was gradual on the Samsung. My point is I have 003 and my brightness is gradual meaning Samsung. Safe to say that they are still using both screens, what do you guys think?

12. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Where is said video? Mine does the gradual thing when I darken the display, but brightness is instant. I don't really care though because I like the screen quality.

13. evofreak

evofreak Active Member

I saw it on evolution 4g forum, but...ive seen a couple of threads since who say the guys a dildo because one of the phones is rooted. The unrooted one is the one with the instant brightness issue so that part is at least reliable. Ill try to find the thread and ill post it.

14. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

I prefer my R2 over my sister's R3. My display is much more vibrant and I have not had ANY of the problems others have been having. (screen seperation, grounding, dust)

15. Softgel97

Softgel97 Member

The 2 LCD Screens are Epson and Novatec. The Novatec

16. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

17. Quags

Quags Member

I ordered mine from Sprint on 6/16 received on 6/17. Rev 3....

18. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

003 here!

19. dandm4life

Some people say the novatec looks purpleish. I can see where they are coming from, but to me it looks natural. I like my novatec way better, but some people like the epsons. As someone else mentioned earlier, it's all about your own preference.

20. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

hm, what about the vid above that shows a noticeable difference in contrast and crispness?

I was thinking of exchanging my 0002 at BB (the screen is raised at the bottom flush to the bezel, not above and the back cover is not flush other then that it is perfect - good battery life, no grounding issues, no light leakage...) but now that I hear a lot of the 0003 have the Epson screens (plus the units currently at BB have the back cover problem still) I'm hesitant. maybe I should just keep my 0002 with Novatec.

21. dandm4life

I'm at works so i cant check the video.

22. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Take it into an apple store and compare it to the new iPhone. It is purpleish.

Rev. 2 here.

23. dandm4life

It's also not loaded with apple bs and stuck on a crappy network. You may think it is in your perspective, I dont. When compared to an epson, it looks better.

Not sure how your post was relevant.

24. Softgel97

Softgel97 Member

It seems that all new Evo’s are being rolled out with Novatec screens and I don’t know if that’s a good thing… I have an Epson screen and I have a couple of issues with my phone that would warrant an exchange (blown speaker, LED light on the back is out) but I don’t want to risk getting an inferior screen. So far the 30fps cap has only been broken on Epson screens. Until it is broken on a Novatec screen, I think I’ll hang on to my Epson. To me the fps issue is more important than the speaker or the extra light. As far as the quality and crispness of the screen goes, it looks stunning to me! Whites are white and the blacks are black.

Edit: It seems like those going from an Epson to a Novatec are disappointed in the quality of the screen.

dandm4life: 99% sure you have a Novatec being that it’s a Rev 0002, but I wonder what screen your sister has.

25. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

this thread got serious. LOL