• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo r2 vs Evo r3. Newer rev has different LCD.

Guys to me it sound like next batch will be r3 so it will come with epson screens or if r2 will be shipped it will also be with epson screens. As long as R3 ver have good quality screen that does not look crushed with whites or too bright with dull colors i think it's good, especially that it will not have 30fps limitation. Unless you guys claim r3 novatec is SO MUCH better.
I have a chance to order now or wait little longer to see how dust settles so i'm unsure.

Upvote 0
J...Samsung. My point is I have 003 and my brightness is gradual meaning Samsung...

Not particularly on-point to your question - but - until I see some evidence to the contrary, I think the idea that anyone is carrying a Samsung display on their EVO is an unsubstantiated rumor.

If I'm wrong, I'd love nothing better than to be corrected.

If I'm right, all I can say is that internet forums are only sometimes wondrous sources of information.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, just wanted to update everyone on my situation. So, I had developed issues with the touchscreen on my EVO (r2) that I bought on June 4. The issues didn't start showing up until last week, where my touchscreen wouldn't respond at all to touch. I just kept on soft re-setting, taking the battery out and then putting it back in. Then, by Tuesday, I started getting fed up with having to do that, so I called Sprint Tech support to see if it was a common issue.

When I called in, Tech support led me through a series of steps to hard reset the phone (apparently, there are 3 ways to hard reset, but the tech support hard reset would completely kill any "software" issues that may have been caused by a corrupted ROM or any app).

After they did that, no more issues with the touchscreen being completely unresponsive, but then I started having NEW issues. Initially, I thought maybe it was SWYPE causing the problems, so I uninstalled that thinking the problems would go away. The problems consisted of the status bar randomnly pulling down without my even touching the screen or the keyboard typing random letters on the opposite side of the qwerty (in landscape or portrait).

I went into a Sprint store on Wednesday hoping they could check if it was a software issue or app that was causing the problems. The tech, at that time, told me that he seriously believed it was the Ghost Armor screen protector I had on that was causing the issues. I mentioned that the problems didn't exist for 2 weeks while I had it on, but he said that sometimes the airbubbles don't start causing problems until much later. SO...I went home, took the Ghost Armor off and initially it seemed to solve the problems. I put my phone on the charger and went to sleep.

Next morning...the issue showed up, very briefly, but I thought that I could deal with it. Come mid-day, issues were just as bad as before, so I set another appointment.
Sprint Tech checked the phone's software, did another hard reset and initially we thought it resolved the problem and potentially it was an app that I downloaded that was causing the issues. I left the store and was walking to my car. I continued to test the functions that would cause the problems and all of a sudden, the touchscreen became completely unresponsive to touch again. I couldn't unlock my phone. Luckily, I was only a block away and hadn't left, so I ran back to Sprint and showed the tech the problem. He immediately told me that it was Definitely a hardware issue and that I should go exchange it at Best Buy.

I rushed over to Best Buy with all my original packaging and despite their being busy from all the iPhone peeps, the guy helped me out no problem and swapped my EVO to a new one.

Main connecting point to r2 vs. r3
The new one I got is r3. You can see the difference in brightness, but it's SO slight that it doesn't bother me at all (especially considering the bigger issues I was having with an unresponsive, fully touchscreen phone). Seems like this one is more stable, so far, but as far as that negative review on r2 vs. r3 and HTC going with a different company for the screens...It's REALLY negligable, IMO.

Now, I have a new 30 day return with Best Buy and the manager there said that if I want to exchange for the white one that I could do that if I decided to. I'm undecided on that, since I love the custom skin I got, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
So depending on the website. The epson looks washed out and the nova is brighter. I had one that had a warm tone and not sure which one that was and now I have a nova 003. THeres other websites that say the nova 003 is pink purple. So besides the frame rate which one is supposed to be preferred and is better build quality all around. The one thing i did notice between the two i had is the nova 003 definitly is better in the sun by far but dont like the vivid colors so much wish they had a screen adjustment like a tv so we could change it our selves. Oh and my back is not flush its kind of squeaky.

Upvote 0
OK,

History - Bought two EVOs for me and the wife on opening day. Both were version 002 with stunning vibrant appearance on full brightness.

Incident (supporting story, bottom line is next section) - Sadly enough, I just got done swapping out my EVO on Saturday 7/3 for about 8 or so dead pixels. Before you panic, these were my fault. We had such a tough time installing the ZAGG shield on my wife's EVO due to finger prints and touching it during install, even though we used the included spray as directed, we decided to install mine differently. I decided to deviate a little from the directions (which specifically say don't spray device, only the shield). I very lightly "misted" the glass on my EVO and sprayed the shield, to keep it more wet for ease of installation. BAD decision; after squeegying it, significant water spots appeared beneath the glass, and I felt like a kid that just broke his favorite Christmas present on the first day! Luckily, 98% of the damage dried up within 72 hours, but left the dead 8 pixels. None of three moisture sensors turned color so I figured I may be able to swap it out. Short of revealing the facts involved, the store I purchased it from replaced it without question. The new one ended up being a ver 0003. So I decided to read this thread and the XDA and watched two you tube videos. I can't say the ZAGG is bad, but I would try to find someone with one on their phone and try it first before purchase. My main issue with it was finger jumping on shield on zoom out. OK enough on ZAGG, see screen protection threads for that.

Own observations - First one and wife's were both ver 002. My replacement is a ver 0003. All three seem to have extremely vibrant displays. They do have the different backs. Not sure about my original as it has been returned to the store, but my wife's (002) has a pearly black back to it, and mine (003) is more of a flat black. Both feel the same, and both still look real nice, so no issues there. Did the fade test with power panel widget on wife's and my new one, and surprisingly they both faded. I suspect I may have the original Novatech in my ver 003? So I believe that HW configuration is possible. Could it be the version number is tied more to the non-pearly backing and the fact that my ver 003 came with a Samsung SD card vs. the Sandisk SD card in the 002's, instead of manufacturer of the screens? Something to think about... even though I have no hard evidence of having the 003 Epson, I have loved all three EVOs equally at this point, and cannot see a different in the screens, honestly if the displays are truly different manufacturers.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen an Epson/Novatec side by side but I suspect both displays are comparable; they just run at different color temperatures. Unfortunately color temp variations are something that can drive you crazy. As long as you only look at one phone and don't do side-by-sides, either screen should look fine. I did the check on mine and while mine is a rev 0003, it has a Novatec screen. When I put it side by side against my iPhone (3GS) or even my computer monitor, I see how people might categorize the Evo as slightly pinkish/purplish. Here's the rub. Stare at the iPhone for a while and then look at the Evo and you'd swear the Evo has a purplish hue. BUT do the opposite: stare at the Evo for a while and then switch to the iPhone and you'll swear the iPhone has a green/cyan tint. The reason is because your eyes adapt to one light source and "adjust for white" and when you switch to another one, it takes some time to adapt again.

I'm not convinced either one is more "wrong". How you perceive the color of the screen will also depend on the surrounding light. One phone may look more neutral under incandescent lights and the other might look better under fluorescent. That's just the nature of color temperature. I hope people don't return their phones just to change the color temperature of their displays. ;) Seems a bit silly to do that when, overall, I believe both the Epsons and the Novatecs are comparable.

Mike

Upvote 0
Well guys, all I have to say is, I just got my EVO (R3) from sprint.com last Thursday (7/2). I wouldn't know the difference between a novatec, epson, or a martian screen, but this thing is freaking beautiful! Maybe if I had both versions, like alot of you have, I would be more picky but I'm incredibly happy with whatever it is I got.

Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Code:
http://androidheadlines.com/2010/06/evo-vs-evo-newer-models-have-new-displays.html

Code:
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/18/tale-evo-screen-woes-firsthand-account-video/

in the top video from android headlines he was wrong about the shortage of lcd's from samsung he's thinking of Amoled shortage from samsung for the incredible n1 desire etc there is not lcd shortage at all

Upvote 0
So just want to confirm this... people with 002 can't do unlock the 30fps cap that xda is working on & its only possible on 003?

If thats the case...FUCCCk
002's have the nova screens and that is what XDA is working on. There are some 003's that have the nova screen as well but there are also 003's with the Epson screen.

I do not think there are any 002's that have been reported with an epson screen to date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones