• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo Rebooting on its own

I have been having this issue since the 2.2 update.

Not rooted
was resetting with lots of apps
was resetting after factory reset and no apps installed
was resetting with SD card install
was resetting without SD card installed

anecdotal info:
the phone will not always reset if the GPS is not on, but the phone will always reset if the GPS is on

I just got off my of my thrid call to sprint in as many days, they gave me an "e-ticket" numnber and told me to take it back to a sprint store for a warranty return.

we will see what happens when I get there in the AM.

FYI as I am typing this message my EVO just reset agian.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I got my phone on launch day and it had rebooted a few times on it's own over the first few months. I didn't think much of it. It didn't happen often enough to bother me. In the past two weeks or so it has become significantly worse. One day a couple weeks ago I was using the GPS when it rebooted. I let it boot up and it immediately rebooted again. I loaded a webpage (engadget.com) and tried to go to page two. It rebooted again! I finally took the battery out and let it boot. Fast forward to today. I had a job interview. I was waiting in the lobby browsing the internet (engadget.com again). The phone rebooted. It rebooted again immediately after getting to the unlock screen. When it finally booted up again I set it to vibrate and went in for the interview.

Mid interview I received a call. It RANG. It reset to the normal sound profile. It was extremely embarrassing.

When the phone reboots on it's own it takes a good 4 minutes to boot up. If I turn it off with the power button or remove the battery it boots in less than 2 minutes. I would really like to know how to solve this issue.

I am running stock 2.2 (no root). I have quite a few apps installed but I hadn't installed any for quite a while before the most recent reboot breakout.

Upvote 0
my friend emailed htc and they wanted to trouble shoot it with unistalling the apps. she took it to sprint and they did all this stuff, fixed nothing.

htc has a serious problem on their hands and needs to deal with it.

it is unacceptable a new phone costing 200 bucks be doing this crap. let alone something that can cut off phone calls, do stuff like in your interview, go off while your driving and using the gps causing distraction....etc.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm not the only one. I visited 2 sprint stores, both said it's the physical phone. Mine just won't stay on. I've soft reset, hard reset, cleared anything and everything. One person at sprint told me to root it and put on a custom ROM to see if the new software would take care of it because he thought it was software. Finally got it to stay on long enough to root it, put on a new ROM, and still doing it. I tried calling HTC, and they kept asking if GPS was turned on, but it wasn't. It's driving me nuts! I bought the phone from someone so I don't have a Sprint account and no warranty on the phone. The phone is only a couple months old and nothing can be done?

Upvote 0
I finally had to get another EVO from Sprint because the reboot problem was getting worse and I need the phone to receive my calls and messages from my job. The only downside is that the Sprint store (where I went to) has a policy now to only give you a refurbished EVO. Personally I think HTC and Sprint want to keep this problem under wraps.

Upvote 0
Personally I think HTC and Sprint want to keep this problem under wraps.

Well, of course they do! If you had tens of thousands of customers demanding replacement phones that work, what would you do?

Sprint or HTC is faced with not only the cost of the replacement phones itself, it has the cost of reworking the defective phones, the shipping costs, the time spent by their support call takers to handle each request...it all adds up to big bucks instead of being a profit center. Of course they are back-pedaling, they want to avoid these costs.

Add to the reboot problem the delicate USB charging port problem that can only be fixed by replacement hardware and they have double trouble on their hands.

That's just business being business, no surprise to me.

Upvote 0
I finally had to get another EVO from Sprint because the reboot problem was getting worse and I need the phone to receive my calls and messages from my job. The only downside is that the Sprint store (where I went to) has a policy now to only give you a refurbished EVO. Personally I think HTC and Sprint want to keep this problem under wraps.

At this point, I don't care if it's reconditioned, refurbished, or used out of someones hand. I just want one that works!

Upvote 0
This problem just started for me 2 days ago.

I bought the phone on release date, and it is hardware version 002. It has been find up until I needed to actually use it on a trip. I flew from California to Orlando, and as soon as I got off the plane, and turned on the phone, the reboot problem started happening.

I can leave it on all night on the nightstand and it doesn't happen, but as soon as I try to interact with the phone, I start having trouble. I have noticed that it seems to happen more often when I have the GPS on, but it isn't necessary. I had the problem today, just sitting on the couch browsing the web with BT and GPS off.

I'm wondering if it is somehow related to signal string as I'm in a rural area with splotchy coverage.

I called Sprint, and they told me I have to go into a store.

I bought the phone at Best Buy and got their Black Tie protection plan, but I haven't tried to go in yet. I haven't heard good things about their protection plan, though.

I'm on Rooted Froyo using the Clockwork Mod recovery. I've tried restoring backups from late september, removing Flash Player, replacing the battery, replacing the SD Card, but nothing has worked. The only think that seems to help is to place the phone in the freezer for a few minutes. I don't know if putting it in the freezer is what is helping, or if it is because at that point, I have left the battery out for more than a minute and some kind of reset has happened.

Upvote 0
... I have noticed that it seems to happen more often when I have the GPS on, but it isn't necessary. I had the problem today, just sitting on the couch browsing the web with BT and GPS off.

I'm wondering if it is somehow related to signal strength as I'm in a rural area with splotchy coverage.

You might be on to something there. Many of the reports of reboots note that the GPS was turned on at the time. If yours was off while you were in a weak signal area that would eliminate that current sink, but the cell site would command the phone to increase its transmit power which would increase the current flow out of the battery.

My theory is that there is enough of a voltage drop when the phone's overall current draw exceeds a certain level that the voltage regulator doesn't have enough headroom to maintain proper voltage to critical devices, so it reboots. To fix this would require swapping out phones, which is expensive. It is unlikely that a software patch could solve this problem.

Man, this stinks that such an otherwise cool phone is tarnished by these problems. I was so close to getting one, too. I sure hope the responsible parties can solve this in an acceptable fashion.

Upvote 0
So now I'm confused. I turned the phone on last night and didn't touch it. It's still on now which is the longest it's been on. It made it 24 hours with out restarting with no activity at all. But I know that as soon as I start using it, it will shut right off. My GPS is turned off, too.

That is the behavior that I have experienced since Wednesday night.

Upvote 0
...Again, I'm still po'd I have a refurb, but at the same time finally happy that this phone has no issues... well at least yet.

What's so bad about a refurbished phone? It's already been burned in by somebody else and whatever was wrong with it has been corrected, so it's better than new.

Unless it's so scratched up that you can't read the screen I don't get this aversion to refurbished phones.

Upvote 0
You might be on to something there. Many of the reports of reboots note that the GPS was turned on at the time. If yours was off while you were in a weak signal area that would eliminate that current sink, but the cell site would command the phone to increase its transmit power which would increase the current flow out of the battery.

My theory is that there is enough of a voltage drop when the phone's overall current draw exceeds a certain level that the voltage regulator doesn't have enough headroom to maintain proper voltage to critical devices, so it reboots. To fix this would require swapping out phones, which is expensive. It is unlikely that a software patch could solve this problem.

Man, this stinks that such an otherwise cool phone is tarnished by these problems. I was so close to getting one, too. I sure hope the responsible parties can solve this in an acceptable fashion.
this is a interesting theory....^

Upvote 0
^because you paid for a new product. new.

OK, you're in love with shiny baubles. I get it.

So a phone that has been vetted and works at least as good as new is not as good as new to you?

There's still the same amount of smoke stored in all those components waiting for you to release, no worries.

Upvote 0
OK, you're in love with shiny baubles. I get it.

So a phone that has been vetted and works at least as good as new is not as good as new to you?

There's still the same amount of smoke stored in all those components waiting for you to release, no worries.
no, its not o.k.
because you pay full price for a product you get a new one.
pay used you get used.

do you buy a new car and let them swap it for a used one?
i didnt think so....

Reactions: ordcavms
Upvote 0

I think you may be on to something. I have noticed that my phone does not reboot when I am at home and connected to my WiFi network. I had problems all week with my phone rebooting while I was at work, in the field, away from WiFi.

I just did an experiement. I turned off GPS. I turned off WiFi. I do not have a strong signal in my house. It ranges from 1-2 bars. After turning off WiFi I went to Youtube.com and started playing a video and within 10 seconds it rebooted.

Now, as I am typing this the phone is on it's second reboot. With WiFi turned off, it booted and immediately rebooted again. I just turned WiFi back on as quick as I could after it booted the second time and I am now 1 minute into the same video and no reboot.

This problem seems to have something to do with signal strength and/or cell data use.

Upvote 0
Too strange to nail down with all these experiences, experiments, and feedback?? Here's mine...I bought my phone on the first release day and have not experienced this problem at all thank god. i convinced my girlfriend to drop att and her Iphone and get an EVO about 45 days after release date. she used the phone heavily for the first 2 months with no reboot problems. as of 3 weeks ago it now reboots regularly. some clues to maybe help with this....she lives in a building and works in a building with very low signal strength, this is where most of the rebooting occurs. it always reboots about 1 minute into using Fring. it doesnt reboot during phone calls. we both use the Latitude app to keep tabs on each other so her location and GPS is regularly on. but remember she always used these things heavily before with no issues. her phone is noticibly different than mind. the battery cover looks and feels different and her phone is lighter in weight than mine. we are both on Froyo, same pri and prl.

Upvote 0
^that is interesting that the phones appear different.
---------------
here is a direct quote from a person nice enough to send me a message on facebook about his experience with this subject, for what it is worth;

"You had posted a friend had a problem with phone restarting. On my
phone found out what it was it was the 3d gallery I got when they had
posted it before it was posted on the market. Seems like any app you
add and have to check unknown sources seems to cause that problem so
now if it is not from the market I don't use it. Hope that helps your
friend out."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones