• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO screen durability

I don't understand why people shell out the cash and don't want to protect the thing with a reputable protector. Theoretically, the case should absorb the force of the impact, thereby protecting your phone. Due to the size of the EVO its hard for this phone to go flying out of my hand, but my EVO is always in the Seidio holster on my hip. I think using a holster minimizes the chances of dropping a phone opposed to hand carrying your device.

Upvote 0
I would go out on a limb and say Type A folks use cases and they are more detail oriented. They are more likely to notice scratches, so they will typically have a case on their phone.

I think you're right. And I'm definitely *not* a Type A personality, my Gmail inbox has like 13000 unread messages and I haven't had a car wash in 3 years.

The phone could cost $1000 and I still wouldnt care because that's why I'm paying Sprint $7/month for TEP. To have both TEP and spend $50 on a case and screen protector is a bit overkill, so I have to assume those of you with $150 worth of cases are not paying for TEP. Just different methods of "protecting" your investment, thats all.

Upvote 0
With prices between $25-35, do you guys think it's really worth it?

With TEP, it's a $50 deductible (or at least it was, someone pls correct me if it's gone up for these 4g smartphones).

If I can get a new phone for $50, why spend $30 on a case when the screen can STILL break if i drop it on the street? It'll prevent scratches to the plastic, but who cares if your plastic is brand-new when no one sees it under the case?

1) Because I don't like my phone all scratched up. Type A
2) Because a replacement is a refurb.
3) Because I want to

Upvote 0
I would go out on a limb and say Type A folks use cases and they are more detail oriented. They are more likely to notice scratches, so they will typically have a case on their phone.

haha..you have no idea how OCD I am ...but I had a bad experience with cases.

I'll put it this way...this leather pouch is lined with felt... my phone gets wiped with an eyeglass cleaning cloth every time it exits the pouch, and every time it goes back in :p

and a replacement doesn't have to be a refurb...that's what they offer you ;)

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people shell out the cash and don't want to protect the thing with a reputable protector. Theoretically, the case should absorb the force of the impact, thereby protecting your phone. Due to the size of the EVO its hard for this phone to go flying out of my hand, but my EVO is always in the Seidio holster on my hip. I think using a holster minimizes the chances of dropping a phone opposed to hand carrying your device.

I hope you are married because the holster also minimizes your chance of getting laid.

I use a cheap $3 case and I have dropped phone sooo many times with no ill effect. The screen is not that scratch resistant. After watching "scratch tests" on youtube where people scratch the screen with knives/keys etc I decided to go without my crappy zagg screen protector. Then a rivit on my jeans put 3 super small scratches right next to each other but it's no big deal. I'll upgrade to the next big thing soon and this will be my backup.

Upvote 0
I hope you are married because the holster also minimizes your chance of getting laid.

I use a cheap $3 case and I have dropped phone sooo many times with no ill effect. The screen is not that scratch resistant. After watching "scratch tests" on youtube where people scratch the screen with knives/keys etc I decided to go without my crappy zagg screen protector. Then a rivit on my jeans put 3 super small scratches right next to each other but it's no big deal. I'll upgrade to the next big thing soon and this will be my backup.

I wear a flightsuit everyday. The holster actually protects the screen of my phone because the phone sits with the screen facing the felt of the holster. As I'm getting in/out of the plane the phone can move around in my right leg pocket or hit stuff in the plane and I don't have to worry about the phone breaking. Since I fly.....its like Top Gun with the ladies my friend. But I have a girlfriend and the EVO w/holster screams that you have a great job to the ladies.....LOL. I stand out even more than the other guys.

Upvote 0
I have dropped my EVO a couple times and never scratched the screen... the last time I dropped it on asphalt, and it dinged up the plastic around the outside, but the glass was unscathed....
I have the Black Tie protection from Best Buy, and used it a couple times with my old Palm Pre. No deductable, but the downside was that I had to use whatever loaner phone they had available for a week or two while they fixed my old phone.
So now I have a cheap $3 cover that hides the few dings on the sides and will just rely on BB to take care of anything more than that.

Upvote 0
i personally hate screen protectors..

i used to think they were a must have. but once i realized what "glass" characteristics are.. and that the hero was gorilla glass...
and I hated the one little bubble in the corner.

i took it off... and wow..
so clear
so smooth
so clean
so responsive
so clear...(yeah i said that twice)

never had a screen protector for my EVO.

both my Hero and EVO screen is still .. so.....

ps.. i gave my hero to my 7yr old daughter... and still so...

Upvote 0
I have had at least one scratch on all six of my evos screens....even making sure they are protected 90% of the time.

The PET protectors are super clear, super slick and if they bubble...they were put on wrong. I can't even tell they are on the phone but I know what you mean..the feel of the glass is super awesomes

Upvote 0
I work on a construction site for 90% of my job. I install voice/data cables, and typically am on the job around the same time that the drywall guys are finish sanding. I've dropped the phone once from hand level to the concrete floor, no damage that I could see once I put all the pieces back together (battery door, and battery came apart from main unit).

My phone lives in my right front pants pocket, with the screen towards my leg. I tend to not take the phone out while doing tasks that would cause it to get hurt, and I try to get my hands at least fairly clean before touching it. I have answered it and been on a conference call at the top of a 12' ladder though. So far I've had the EVO about 4 weeks now. It replaced my Blackberry Bold 9000 (the one with the older trackball). I had to replace the trackball about every 6mo or so due to it getting gummed up with drywall dust. I'm hoping that the touchscreen eliminates some of that problem. I'm already in the habit of removing all pieces/parts from the phone that easily can be removed, and blowing them out with compressed air on a regular basis. The screen gets wiped down with a micro-fiber a couple times a day (usually breakfast, lunch, and nighttime). So far no scratches, dings, or dents.

I'll be sure to report back if something does happen to it. The company has offered to pay for an OtterBox for it, just not sure I want that big of a box/cover/case riding around in my pocket all day.

Upvote 0
I work on a construction site for 90% of my job. I install voice/data cables, and typically am on the job around the same time that the drywall guys are finish sanding. I've dropped the phone once from hand level to the concrete floor, no damage that I could see once I put all the pieces back together (battery door, and battery came apart from main unit).

My phone lives in my right front pants pocket, with the screen towards my leg. I tend to not take the phone out while doing tasks that would cause it to get hurt, and I try to get my hands at least fairly clean before touching it. I have answered it and been on a conference call at the top of a 12' ladder though. So far I've had the EVO about 4 weeks now. It replaced my Blackberry Bold 9000 (the one with the older trackball). I had to replace the trackball about every 6mo or so due to it getting gummed up with drywall dust. I'm hoping that the touchscreen eliminates some of that problem. I'm already in the habit of removing all pieces/parts from the phone that easily can be removed, and blowing them out with compressed air on a regular basis. The screen gets wiped down with a micro-fiber a couple times a day (usually breakfast, lunch, and nighttime). So far no scratches, dings, or dents.

I'll be sure to report back if something does happen to it. The company has offered to pay for an OtterBox for it, just not sure I want that big of a box/cover/case riding around in my pocket all day.

welcome to the forum.

in your environment.. i would get the otter box... for work.
and it is free.

when you resale the phone.. the otter box will help to keep the plastic parts looking new.. and the box will add value.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones