• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO screen durability

Either they build smartphones like bricks or keep the phone looking pretty. You drop it, you break it. Don't want a phone that breaks don't buy a smartphone. Who thinks its okay to drop a laptop? Why drop your phone and expect it not to break? Apple quickly learned not to build a phone out of glass because people drop phones and glass breaks easily.

Upvote 0
I purchased EVO #1 on day one and opted for the insurance.
About six months later I'm at work with my precious EVO on my desk. I'm working on my laptop and hear a little sharp ping sound but don't think much about it. Later a call comes in and I pick him up and immediately see the crack about an inch across the upper right corner. It definitely was not there when I placed him on the desk.
At the service center I did not even try to give them the spontaneous occurrence story. I did tell them about it when my new (refurbished) no charge EVO #2 arrived. No one there had heard of such a thing.
Four months later and #2 is all good- even after I dropped her (Yes, strangely #2 is of a different gender) on a cement floor from about four feet - a concussion so strong that the back popped off and the battery slid across the floor.
Go figure.

Upvote 0
I purchased EVO #1 on day one and opted for the insurance.
About six months later I'm at work with my precious EVO on my desk. I'm working on my laptop and hear a little sharp ping sound but don't think much about it. Later a call comes in and I pick him up and immediately see the crack about an inch across the upper right corner. It definitely was not there when I placed him on the desk.
At the service center I did not even try to give them the spontaneous occurrence story. I did tell them about it when my new (refurbished) no charge EVO #2 arrived. No one there had heard of such a thing.
Four months later and #2 is all good- even after I dropped her (Yes, strangely #2 is of a different gender) on a cement floor from about four feet - a concussion so strong that the back popped off and the battery slid across the floor.
Go figure.

I don't know any guys with male phones... lol

Upvote 0
I had the Otterbox Commuter on but I took it off when the Evo got so hot using the maps app. I liked streaking. The phone felt good. My cheap ebay screen protector got all scarred up so I took it off. Now I'm REALLY streaking. I love the touch of the glass. But I have a desk job and carry my phone solo in my right pocket. I saw the Commuter case in my center console today. I thought about putting it on but I changed my mind. Enjoy the phone the way htc meant! Naked!

Upvote 0
Otterbox commuter, no screen protector, and it goes in a camera case to boot. Still looks perfect 8 months later. That camera case has saved my bacon a couple of times though. I do not carry insurance on the phone, it helps me remember to take extra special care of it.
My jeans are rather loose so carrying it in my front pocket is not an issue any longer. I was leery of the EVO being too big for me but a couple weeks of carrying it and it feels like any other phone I ever had.

Upvote 0
I currently have the Impact case from Otterbox, but I hate it because it's way too difficult to pull in and out of my pocket.

So, should I buy the Seidio Active, the Seidio Innocase 2, or the Otterbox Commuter case?

I'm currently leaning towards the Active case, since the Innocase 2 doesn't look very protective and the Commuter case has really stupid flaps on it covering the jacks.

However, on Amazon, there's several reviews saying that the Active case breaks very easily.

Upvote 0
The Evo screen is practically indestructible. Thinking about making a bomb shelter out of it lol

Nah, it is a very good screen. Ever since I got my Evo in October 2010, I STILL have not got anything for the screen such as a screen protector and my screen is FLAWLESS.

I was surprised at how well my iPod Touch's screen held up, but this one is much better.

I did get a rubber back for it that surrounds the phone and I believe that has led to it not getting cracked even though I've dropped it a million times. There's a rubber bumper that goes all the way around the phone screen's edges that keeps the screen from touching the ground if it falls on its "face" (screen side) on most of the rubber covers.

About a week ago, I did take off my rubber case and I don't know when it happened, but my camera "screen" has a crack in it now.

Upvote 0
How hard have you tried to scratch the screen?

Although Corning's websites says that the Evo has Gorilla glass, I'm not sure how accurate their list is, because there's almost no way that the Mytouch Slide has Gorilla glass. Just before getting the Evo, I had the Mytouch Slide, and it was more of a mid-end smartphone.

Plus, why wouldn't HTC want to advertise this?

Upvote 0
How hard have you tried to scratch the screen?

Although Corning's websites says that the Evo has Gorilla glass, I'm not sure how accurate their list is, because there's almost no way that the Mytouch Slide has Gorilla glass. Just before getting the Evo, I had the Mytouch Slide, and it was more of a mid-end smartphone.

Plus, why wouldn't HTC want to advertise this?

If you're asking me...I'm pretty rough on my screen. I keep it in my pocket with other stuff like my headphones balled up in a ball but never with keys or loose change. Looking at it right now, I do see a few teeny tiny scratches that are there probably permanently but really, I just huff and puff on the screen and wipe it really good with my shirt and it looks almost brand new until you start touching it. I never use fingernails on it either.

I have no idea what Gorilla glass is, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask lol. It is interesting as the screen is very nice and one of the many reasons I really love my phone. I think HTC should really brag about it. Really, 4G isn't what pulled me in so that whole campaign went right over my head.

Upvote 0
Got my phone about 2 weeks ago dropped it for the 1st time today (it was onto a concert floor about waist high with no case) and I now have a nice paper weight with spiderwebed glass and a LCD screen that features three colors in a blob formation. Looks like I will be investing in a otterbox or something the likes of when I get my $100 refurbished from Sprints insurance company.

Upvote 0
Um, we do all realize that the digitizer w/tools is $12 right? Screen and digitizer w/tools $30. And you can go to the local phone shop in nearly any city and they'll repair it for $50-$60 all parts included. And I would MUCH rather have MY phone back operational, with a new screen, than have my good, stable, never-water-damaged phone swapped for a refurb from god-knows-where.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones