Evo Screen Scratched - 31days inSupport

Last Updated:

1. kinger

kinger New Member This Topic's Starter

So 31 days into using my HTC Evo (1 day past when I could actually do something about it), I now notice a scratch on the front display dead center. No idea how it got there, though I did let someone use it for the first time while I wasnt monitoring their every move with it, lol. To make the matter worse I ordered a screen protector 2 days before this happened (waiting on mail).

Just wanted to let people know it will scratch when you least expect it, so buy a screen protector.

My question is, considering I have never had a scratch on my cellphones before. Will a screen protector (ie: Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare) make the scratch look less noticeable?

PS. The 7$/m insurance (if you choose to get it) only means you pay 100$ to replace it compared to full retail. Toothpaste trick Ive read in random places online did nothing (bad or good). Not willing to risk making the issue any worse trying other methods, unless someone here has a good one.

Advertisement
  2. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Depending on how deep the scratch is the screen protector should make it a bit less noticeable. I've heard the wet application protectors ie: zagg, phantom, etc. do a bit better job in hiding scratches. Oh, and if you get squaretrade insurance the deductible for damaged phone is only $50 btw.

3. lillygirl7

lillygirl7 Well-Known Member

I'm within my 30 days and got a couple little dings out of nowhere yesterday. I just received my screen protector and hadn't got home to put it on. What can be done if you are within your 30 days? Now I dont want to put the protector on If I can do something within my 30 days. Thank you.

4. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

It will probably vary from store to store depending on the customer service rep that you get. Technically, they would not owe you a replacement since you "damaged" the phone. Most return/exchange policies require that the product be returned in "like-new" condition. It may seem petty, but it is possible. Your best bet would be to try to exchange it for an issue unrelated to the cosmetics, be nice, and find a male employee and flirt with him.

5. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

EZ Guard off Ebay $1.99 for 5 covers.

He had 10 for that price which is what I got but he lowered the quantity, killer guard for the Evo.

6. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

If you scratched it it's "your" fault. It truly sucks, but you can't/shouldn't be able to get a replacement. Been there and feel your pain, but Sprint shouldn't be responsible for replacing problems that are caused by the owner.

7. Intel

Intel Member

I recently noticed a faint hairline scratch on my EVO screen as well, but is hardly noticeable in my opinion...Plus scratches don't quite bother me much since it's just a common sign of wear and tear from usage (something all phones go through). As long as my phone functions correctly, I'm not really the type to obsess over it's looks...but then again...my EVO is still in good condition.

As for screen protectors, they may hide scratches to some extent depending on the severity of the scratch...but that's assuming you don't mind the tactile feeling most screen protectors add.

8. CrisG

CrisG Active Member

I also noticed a faint hairline scratch on my screen today. It's only noticeable when I hold the phone at a certain angle. I handle the phone with care and keep it in a messenger case when it's not in use. Not too happy about it, but it could be worse.

9. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

I noticed a scratch on mine about a week ago. It looks like a "C" about 1/16" tall. Nothing big enough to really distract from the phone. Just pisses me off to know it's there. I chose to leave the screen naked after watching the video or the guy using blades/nails/screws/keys/ect all trying to scratch it and the phone held up. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now.

I agree with the above post, scratch is my fault. Not Sprint or HTC's! Shouldn't be up to them to fix it.