• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO SCREEN SHATTERRED.. BEST BUY GEEK SQAUD REPAIR expiereince!

Count me in as another Best Buy horror story! I was so excited today when they called to tell me mine was ready after leaving it with them 4 weeks ago. I put the battery in to try it out and guess what, they had not fixed it at all! I asked the geek squad if he could tell me exactly what they did to it. He looks it up and says a hard reset. I did that myself before I sent it in and it did not solve the problem. Plus the fact it took 4 weeks to do a hard reset???
So after some arguing, they said all they can do is send it off again and they will put an rush on it this time.
I did call spriint, and they said if I get a new one that they will insure it for me when I activate it.
Best Buy sucks!:mad:

Upvote 0
FINALLY!!!!

After 40 plus days evoless, BB finally replaced it with a brand new phone. They said they can't get the parts in to fix them and it took them 1.5 weeks to get a replacement in. I had to hound them several times in the last few weeks. They were suppose to call me when they came in. I called today because I saw that BB had them on their website. And they asked me my name and said,"Yes we have one for you". They also said that everyone that had them sent in for repairs is getting new ones because they couldn't get the parts.

Now, if I didn't have a such an "indemand" phone. Would the turn around time probably have been better? WHO KNOWS.

I will not trust BB again with this. I am just glad to get a brand new phone.

Upvote 0
FINALLY!!!!

After 40 plus days evoless, BB finally replaced it with a brand new phone. They said they can't get the parts in to fix them and it took them 1.5 weeks to get a replacement in. I had to hound them several times in the last few weeks. They were suppose to call me when they came in. I called today because I saw that BB had them on their website. And they asked me my name and said,"Yes we have one for you". They also said that everyone that had them sent in for repairs is getting new ones because they couldn't get the parts.

Now, if I didn't have a such an "indemand" phone. Would the turn around time probably have been better? WHO KNOWS.

I will not trust BB again with this. I am just glad to get a brand new phone.

Regardless of what information you might have received from a clueless Mobile department associate and/or geek squad member, I was wondering why you "will not trust BB again" It seems that, despite being 40 days without your phone, they did what they could, within the timeframe (30 days is what you should EXPECT I have learned...REGARDLESS what they might promise "in a week" when you hand in the phone) and after the 30 day wait without the ability to repair, you got a BRAND NEW PHONE!! A week and a half to get the phone in is 10 days + 30 days = 40 days.

I said up above I was promised repair "within a week"...wound up taking 21 days from drop off to pick up of my repair. YEAH, I was disappointed and pissed, but it is what it is ya know?? And HONESTLY, there is NO ONE in the store who can possibly have ANY CLUE about repair and turnaround. The ONLY people who would have that information is the repair facility that the phone is sent to. The REPAIR facility would know demand for parts/repairs, ease of ability to get parts time and to assess the damage to begin with.

Just wondering why "never trust Best Buy again?" 40 days does suck but it really IS what was what you SHOULD have expected. I know, I know...I WAS told something different too...but the REALITY is that I was well within the 30-day and you were, unfortunately, at the very tail end of the limit...

Upvote 0
I am sorry. I was posting in two threads. Here is my original post

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/181063-best-buy-black-tie-protection-broken-evo-oh-my.html

That happened around mid August. Today I went up there, because its been over a month, to see what was going on. They told me there was a shortage of parts and there is no completion date listed. So I asked about an escalation and to be put on the front of the list to get a new EVO. He said he could do that but they had no EVOs and didn't know when they were going to get any. He then told me he would escalate this for me and put me on the list. I looked at him and said, "no offense, I am not leaving till I see you put my name on a list". The employee takes a piece of paper off the printer and starts a list. Now here is what I don't understand. Everyone is sold out of the EVO. I know BB was taking pre-orders a month ago when my phone broke, so there was a list. He told me there was no one on the pre-order list and that I would be first. I took down his name, the date, and when he said.

Needless to say I don't believe him at all. I am going to walk in later this week to ask about the EVO and ask to see my name on the list. I don't expect the list to be found, nor any news on the EVO, nor any chance of getting a replacement.

So because of the person taking out the piece of paper and writing my name on it was an insult to me, that is why I will never trust Best Buy. The fact that that list was never found is why I will never trust Best Buy. Because they didn't call me to tell me the phone was in and I called them, that is why I will never trust Best Buy. I have been reading boards this entire month, same posts all over. This is not something new.

I will just say not trusting them is my choice. I posted here so people can make their own decisions on experiences of others that dealt with Best Buy. The same as the posts made by people who purchased other insurances. Its their choice to purchase or not purchase Best Buys insurance.

Upvote 0
For those that dont know, I have seen BB employees that dont know shit about their plans, product, or will straight up lie to you to make a sale.

I have worked for them in sales before going into another avenue with them for the last three years. Love my job that I do for them.

All I have to say is always read over the contract. If you feel like you're getting duped by a rep or sales person that doesn't know squat. Always request to talk to Best Buy mobile mgr or higher. I know sometimes we all have our bad days, but being nice and patient does help for starters.

If you have several stores in your area, try those also. You can go too any BB to get any problem fixed. Trust me, you will hit at least one where people actually give a shit and don't just go through the motions of their job.

I feel your pain sometimes. It drives me nuts.

Upvote 0
You can't split the insurance up anymore. You must but both policies at $7.00 a month.

I just posted on another insurance thread that I just got a quote from my homeowners agent. He quoted me $18 a YEAR for $600 worth of coverage on my Evo and a $100 deductible. The great thing other than the price is I would get a BRAND NEW Evo, not a refurb.

I wanted to update this information.

I was able to split the insurance up. I am paying just $4/mo for damage/loss only, not extended warranty. My claim was approved as well.

Upvote 0
I am sorry. I was posting in two threads. Here is my original post

So because of the person taking out the piece of paper and writing my name on it was an insult to me, that is why I will never trust Best Buy. The fact that that list was never found is why I will never trust Best Buy.

Ahhh...NOW I can see why you'd be upset!! Thanks for filling in the info I didn't see...

Upvote 0
If u have the 7$ sprint insurance can u call up and say u lost your phone , they send a new one then you "find your phone " and now have 2 working phones? :D selll one?

For some reason I don't think this works because they have the phone's esn number on file, and when you report it lost/stolen that's what it will come up as if someone else tries to activate it. So probably a useless phone. I think.

Upvote 0
If u have the 7$ sprint insurance can u call up and say u lost your phone , they send a new one then you "find your phone " and now have 2 working phones? :D selll one?

Oh suuuuure...once you "find" the "lost" phone and call up Sprint I'm CERTAIN they won't ask any questions if you try to activate the "lost" phone.

Technically, I guess you will have "two working phones" but try to swap out the one you just received through your insurance claim for the old one that was lost and found and I'll bet Sprint is gonna ask questions.

I purchased a used phone on Ebay (old Palm Centro) and when I tried to activate it, there was a BLOCK on the ESN for the phone. Everything was TOTALLY LEGIT with the sale but I had to contact the seller who had to then contact Sprint and "unlock" the ESN and permit my use of it.

The ESN on that "lost" phone of yours is gonna be flagged at lost/stolen and, once "found" you will then have some 'splaining to do. Unless your intention is to possible REALLY SCREW OVER whoever buys your phone (and perhaps YOURSELF), it ain't a good idea. You'll have your new phone from the insurance claim, found your old phone, sell your old phone. Person who bought your phone won't be able to activate until YOU tell Sprint that the phone is no longer lost. You do that and then Sprint says, "Alright now...you want to explain this situation since we sent you a new phone with your insurance claim??" Or Sprint won't say anything and you'll see a charge for the FULL PRICE of the phone that was sent to you as a replacement. Or perhaps Sprint will pursue a nice clear case of INSURANCE FRAUD...

You will have two "working" phones but it's like your car went in for service and you got a loan car. You get your car back from service and you decide to KEEP YOUR LOANER CAR. I'm gonna guess that they are gonna want to loaner car back. You can't keep BOTH...

Upvote 0
Just wanted to share my experience with Sprint's repair service/insurance. I dropped my phone last week, no case, no screen protector. The screen shattered. I had dropped it before and banged up the corners. This time I wasn't as lucky. I could still use the phone, everything worked, but the screen was busted. I have the $7/month Sprint insurance. I called over to one of our Sprint stores that also is an authorized repair center. They said bring the phone in and we will fix it.....for free. Yes, for free.

My brother had the same thing happen to him, screen shattered, fixed for free, but I didn't believe him. So, I took it in and it was fixed within 15 minutes. They put a whole new front face on the phone! New screen, new corners, the phone looked brand new. And I questioned the guy about why it was free. I was fully expecting to have to pay my $100 deductible. What he told me was that Sprint had recently changed their policies. So, now, if they can fix it in the store, you don't have to pay the deductible. If you have to sent it off to be fixed, you do. But the guy also said that almost anything, except water damage, lost or stolen phone, or phone snapped in half, can be fixed in the store.

Just my situation, but hope yours is similar.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to share my experience with Sprint's repair service/insurance. I dropped my phone last week, no case, no screen protector. The screen shattered. I had dropped it before and banged up the corners. This time I wasn't as lucky. I could still use the phone, everything worked, but the screen was busted. I have the $7/month Sprint insurance. I called over to one of our Sprint stores that also is an authorized repair center. They said bring the phone in and we will fix it.....for free. Yes, for free.

My brother had the same thing happen to him, screen shattered, fixed for free, but I didn't believe him. So, I took it in and it was fixed within 15 minutes. They put a whole new front face on the phone! New screen, new corners, the phone looked brand new. And I questioned the guy about why it was free. I was fully expecting to have to pay my $100 deductible. What he told me was that Sprint had recently changed their policies. So, now, if they can fix it in the store, you don't have to pay the deductible. If you have to sent it off to be fixed, you do. But the guy also said that almost anything, except water damage, lost or stolen phone, or phone snapped in half, can be fixed in the store.

Wanted to say thank you for posting this.

I called Sprint to confirm this, and unfortunately the guy was a moron and didn't know jack. He laughed when I asked him about the scenario if I dropped my phone and took it to an authorized retailer, would they fix it for free. He then said I would have to pay the $100 a month and he has never heard of anything like I asked about with the insurance.

So I called a local, authorized Sprint retailer and had a nice conversation with the lady there and she broke it down for me and told me that yes, in fact, they do anything that is fixable in store for free. If they don't have the part, they will order it at no charge and fix it in store for free and it also will not count as 1 of the 3 allowed claims we are allowed to have on the TEP with Sprint.

I will be heading over to Best Buy today to cancel my Black Tie coverage since I am within my 30 days of purchasing it, getting my money back, and not having to deal with them.

Thank you again for posting this. Seems people on the forums are more aware and educated about companies policies and what not then the actual employees.

Whiteice

Upvote 0

I was under the impression that the deductible was charged only if they had to full replace your phone. I didn't think they ever charged for repairs if you had the TEP.

Upvote 0
Wanted to say thank you for posting this.

I called Sprint to confirm this, and unfortunately the guy was a moron and didn't know jack. He laughed when I asked him about the scenario if I dropped my phone and took it to an authorized retailer, would they fix it for free. He then said I would have to pay the $100 a month and he has never heard of anything like I asked about with the insurance.

So I called a local, authorized Sprint retailer and had a nice conversation with the lady there and she broke it down for me and told me that yes, in fact, they do anything that is fixable in store for free. If they don't have the part, they will order it at no charge and fix it in store for free and it also will not count as 1 of the 3 allowed claims we are allowed to have on the TEP with Sprint.

I will be heading over to Best Buy today to cancel my Black Tie coverage since I am within my 30 days of purchasing it, getting my money back, and not having to deal with them.

Thank you again for posting this. Seems people on the forums are more aware and educated about companies policies and what not then the actual employees.

Whiteice

The only issue here is that people are throwing best Buy under the bus while admitting that Sprint employees are giving them the wrong information too. Imagine if the Sprint employee told you that you would be charged $100 for the new screen when you walked in the store. The bottom line is that large companies aren't going to have every employee trained and knowledgeable about everything. couple posts above someone said Best Buy told them there was a 30 day minimum on a return... A friend of mine just got his phone swapped and it took them six days. No matter who you talk to or where you go there is a chance to receive misinformation.

Upvote 0
Just to clear things up because there is a lot of incorrect information floating around here. Best Buy does not offer insurance, it is a protection plan which is completely different. It does not have a deductible while Sprint does. If they can't fix it they will replace it and what happened here was pretty unprofessional. But calling the woman a bitch for doing her job and doing her best to help you is plain rude and stupid. I also saw someone say it covers water damage, it covers if you spill water on it, not if you submerge it in water. They can tell the difference. Walmart would not give you three phones for one.

Upvote 0
I had insurance through Best Buy with my EVO. They sent it out to be repaired. I got a call a week later stating they couldn't repair it and didn't have any in stock. So, they gave me a refurbished EVO 3D instead. I still would have preferred my old EVO because of how easy it was to root and I love CM7 for it. But I got a slight upgrade and still managed to root it. This was about 7 months ago and the EVO 3D is still running great. I'm due for an upgrade in 2 months. I also purchased their Buyback program so they'll give me 20% of the retail cost of my phone provided I keep it in good condition. No problems with Best Buy. No rude people either. Must be a YMMV thing.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I fixed my own

$20 off ebay and a youtube video, kids.
Google that Sh!t

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

I
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones