• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Screen Test

LOL...I guess ignorance is bliss because these pictures look good to me. Maybe anything seems better coming from my Touch Pro, but can someone explain to me exactly what is "bad" in the pics? I'm not really understanding and not much into "photography," so whatever you guys are seeing that doesn't look good doesn't really equate to me. TIA.

Look at how smooth the grey's blend together in the original pics. Contrast that with the way they don't in the Evo screenshots. It looks awful. :(

Upvote 0
Look at how smooth the grey's blend together in the original pics. Contrast that with the way they don't in the Evo screenshots. It looks awful. :(

Doesn't look awful to me...LOL...so, that viewpoint is all subjective. How 'bout we compare that to my old Samsung a500 (I think that's what it was), where I had to attach some whack attachment camera to it to take pictures and the pics looked worse than my old P.A.S. non-digital camera.

Upvote 0
I think it looks pretty bad. It's definitely noticeable, but I realize that this is also a test to point out that issue. I doubt I'm going to take many pictures of lighters with waterflames. I hope it's not a huge deal when I get the phone.

i agree. i hope its not an issue for most everyday use. but this test could very well illustrate some everyday photos or pictures. (just think of the sky, or walls, etc.)

it just seems backwards for how much they've touted the screen. talk to a palm pre owner about good screens...

Upvote 0
hold on, we have several members on here that have the phone, plus a slew of reviewers on the net, who almost unanimously love the screen, and people are going to sweat this thread?:(

You'll know your getting the evo on Friday. Probably 99% of the people on here are pre-orders, and there is no way this thread will prevent them from showing up and getting the phone. If you don't like it, and the new iphone comes out -probably -july 5th:D, then it won't matter because you will be stuck anyway.

btw, the new iphone will be sweet though.lol

Upvote 0
What Phone is that tiny phone to the right? J/K :p

i plan on switching from my iPhone 3GS to the EVO, but this issue is fairly annoying. the HTC HD2 has the same screen (and same specs). here's a comparison of the iPhone and the HTC screen:

4140278061_690e3c71e5_o.jpg

4140277965_6caa4e05e0_o.jpg

4140278021_a34e6265f3_o.jpg

These images are not mine and are from here.

Upvote 0
Question: If we're taking software screenshots, shouldn't we not see the banding...? If the 64k limit is indeed a hardware problem, shouldn't it only be a problem when viewed on the Evo screen? Say, if I hooked up my Windows 7 laptop to an 8-bit screen, and I print screened, I should get back a full-color (32-bit) image when I look at it on my regular monitor.

Does Android work differently?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the screen shots. It confirms that the 65k color limit IS a problem, and is VERY OBVIOUS when viewing images with gradients. I mean, do people not see the jagged banding in the gradients, or do you not know what to look for, or do you just not care? It's one thing to not care, that's fine, but don't deny that the problem exists, because it's completely obvious, and it is a big deal to people that are discerning about image quality.

snap20100601_134736.png

snap20100601_134634.png

AARRGGGH THE WATER LIGHTER!!!!!!!! I thought it died

Upvote 0
I want to clarify this real quick, since people here are offended that this spec was pointed out. There is no phone in existence that I would rather have than the Evo. Anyone reading this thread shouldn't be discouraged by the screen's 65k color limit, because like it was pointed out, most people will never notice it unless two devices with different screens are next to each other showing the same test image. (Plus those test images are compressed and there's some posterization and banding on a normal computer monitor which is then exaggerated in the Evo screenshots.) Despite the color limit on the Evo, I still think it's the best screen available on a phone, because of its size. I'd much rather have a 4.3" screen with choppy gradients than a smaller one with a higher bit depth. Though the droid's screen displays 16 million colors, it's dim and has an outdated touch sensor, and it's smaller and the aspect ratio is too wide. The Incredible has an amoled that can't be seen outdoors and the color saturation is way over exaggerated and inaccurate. Maybe the Dell Streak has size, lcd brightness, and full bit depth, but I haven't looked up the specs lately, and the thing has too much bezel to be taken seriously anyway.

So to recap, the Evo wins against all others despite the bit depth limit of the screen, and it won't bother me, but it will be noticeable. I'm not complaining about this device, I think it's amazing and the best thing available, I'm just clarifying the nature of one of the specs for people that don't know about it. Sorry to ruin your blissful ignorance.

Reactions: RedsGT
Upvote 0
Question: If we're taking software screenshots, shouldn't we not see the banding...? If the 64k limit is indeed a hardware problem, shouldn't it only be a problem when viewed on the Evo screen? Say, if I hooked up my Windows 7 laptop to an 8-bit screen, and I print screened, I should get back a full-color (32-bit) image when I look at it on my regular monitor.

hey...good point......Maybe android knows the screen limitation thus changes its output to 16-bit.?

Upvote 0
I want to clarify this real quick, since people here are offended that this spec was pointed out. There is no phone in existence that I would rather have than the Evo. Anyone reading this thread shouldn't be discouraged by the screen's 65k color limit, because like it was pointed out, most people will never notice it unless two devices with different screens are next to each other showing the same test image. (Plus those test images are compressed and there's some posterization and banding on a normal computer monitor which is then exaggerated in the Evo screenshots.) Despite the color limit on the Evo, I still think it's the best screen available on a phone, because of its size. I'd much rather have a 4.3" screen with choppy gradients than a smaller one with a higher bit depth. Though the droid's screen displays 16 million colors, it's dim and has an outdated touch sensor, and it's smaller and the aspect ratio is too wide. The Incredible has an amoled that can't be seen outdoors and the color saturation is way over exaggerated and inaccurate. Maybe the Dell Streak has size, lcd brightness, and full bit depth, but I haven't looked up the specs lately, and the thing has too much bezel to be taken seriously anyway.

So to recap, the Evo wins against all others despite the bit depth limit of the screen, and it won't bother me, but it will be noticeable. I'm not complaining about this device, I think it's amazing and the best thing available, I'm just clarifying the nature of one of the specs for people that don't know about it. Sorry to ruin your blissful ignorance.

this exactly.

Upvote 0
The thing that really jumps out at me about these screen shots is how awesome the contrast ratio is on the EVO. I don't care why Apple did it, the iPhone screens look like crap next to the EVO's.

You can't compare the photos like that. The screens have different brightnesses set on them. So if one phone is bright, the camera will expose the picture for that phone.

Guess what happens to the other phone? (Trust me when I say that the photos are very deceiving.)

As a future EVO owner, I'm just pointing this out. The screen is good, just not as good as you might think.

Upvote 0
The water lighter looks fine to me, and I do notice the jaggedness with the standard black gradient.

I'm acknowledging its there, but I mean its really splitting hairs to say "My phone displays gradients better than yours!" I'm sure to some it matters, but to me if that's the biggest issue with the phone I'll be more than ecstatic.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can't compare the photos like that. The screens have different brightnesses set on them. So if one phone is bright, the camera will expose the picture for that phone.

Guess what happens to the other phone? (Trust me when I say that the photos are very deceiving.)

As a future EVO owner, I'm just pointing this out. The screen is good, just not as good as you might think.
Yeah, maybe the EVO doesn't do blacks as well as it looks in those photos, but as an iPhone owner, I will attest the it does do blacks as poorly as it looks in those photos.

Upvote 0

...I was waiting for someone to ask this question. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones