• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I guess I expected the Evo shift to be a small upgrade to the Evo. When I read the specs. a few mins. ago, on sprints web site, it really seems like a downgrade of the Evo. Smaller screen, 5 mp. camera, it doesnt say it has dual cameras either. I almost waited to buy the Evo until the shift came out ( I bought my Evo in November). I actually thought the shift would be a upgraded Evo with a keyboard. It looks like a downgraded "budget" Evo. Guess Im just surprised. Your thoughts??

Upvote 0
lesawag - Never let the megapixels fool you. 720p is still under a megapixel per frame, think of the size of most of your pictures, they'll usually come in under 4MP. If the sensor behind the lens is as good or better as the Evo, the pictures will as good or better - that review was pretty convincing of the photo quality for color, and just in my opinion only, good color is always more important in a digital camera with a very small lens than megapixels.

It's a littler Evo - I think it sucks about the FFC missing, otherwise, it seems pretty great.

Oh - as per the Evo, when we pick up the Shift, I'll be doing the color test thing that one of our other users posted. The Android front end and picture gallery are throttled to 64k colors (16-bit palette) so HTC tends to rate their phones that way. Turns out the Evo is a full 24-bit color display, I'd be more than surprised if the little one isn't the same way.

Kinda doing 8 things at once now, so I'll post the links to the color stuff later.

Reactions: lesawag
Upvote 0
PROS
Newer Processor
Better battery life I imagine

CONS

Same 65k color screen (why???? lol)

Newer CPU is slightly slower, but better on battery life. Pick your poison. If using an SLCD, which HTC loves right now, then it's 262k color (18-bit) as per Sony's official specs. Still not as good as the 24-bit panels most of the other guys are using though.

Upvote 0
I am still in my 30day window....for 6 more days. I have the white evo. Shift was an option for me, but was dismissed a few days ago with the specs I saw.

I was feeling that my evo 4g might not be running up to snuff.
when to look at the Shift 30mins ago... spent 10 mins with it.
downloaded speedtest.net.. it was on 4G... 2 bars
my evo.. 2 bars.
they ran the same... but my ping was much higher..hhmm.
i guess it is ok..

now.. the shift... it seemed.. small. it felt thinker than the G2.. and smaller screen (even it is only .1" smaller). The slide out kb was a pain to push out.. it does not pop out.. and I was tripin the volume button 50% of the time.
The power button seemed in an odd angle/spot.

the location of the usb port is on the bottom of the left side. that is also odd to me. Image in a car holder on the dash/windshield. this will pull a torque on the port as the cable continues to pull down on it.

yes.. it seams like a downgrade from the EVO.. which I think Sprint agrees with given the lower price on it.

Upvote 0
My personal account/opinion. I went into the sprint store today to try out the shift as well as the epic and evo. I have played around with both the evo and epic previously. I am due for an upgrade and had decided on the evo until I heard about the shift. I like the shift. I compared the evo and the shift side by side and it seemed that the shift was just slightly slower when loading/processing apps/programs. the screen quality was about the same. I really did enjoy the keyboard on the shift. there was a little bit of resistance when pulling out the keyboard but the keys felt great and were responsive. I like the keyboard on the shift better than the epic. I found myself hitting the power button on the epic by mistake which was annoying but the screen is still amazing and enjoy swype. I didn't have a problem with the power button on the evo nor shift. I didn't have a problem with the volume buttons on the shift when sliding the keyboard back in or out. I also felt that the camera quality was better on the shift. As of right now I am leaning towards the shift. While it did not seem as fast as the evo or epic, its still miles ahead of my hero LOL

why can't we combine all the pros for these 3 phones? lol But honestly I wouldn't use a lot of the "bells and whistles" on these phones. I text mostly, surf the net and take pics occasionally, and play games/sprint tv/email very rarely. I wouldn't really use the FFC, hdmi output, or hotspot

Upvote 0
the location of the usb port is on the bottom of the left side. that is also odd to me. Image in a car holder on the dash/windshield. this will pull a torque on the port as the cable continues to pull down on it.

The location of the USB is great to me. When I have my phone in a car holder 90% of the time it is rotated so that I have landscape view, which puts the bottom left on the actual bottom of the phone so there is no torque or pull on the phone from the cable.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
FYI, for those of you debating on getting the Shift, Best Buy has a coupon for all rewards Zone customers that you'll receive 500 additional bonus points for buying any HTC Smartphone!

Since my cousin wanted to get the Shift, but doesn't really use Rewards Zone at BB, I put the purchase on my Rewards Zone account!

I think the offer is only good until today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones