Evo Soon to become Obsolete ?

Last Updated:

1. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my evo and I'm simply amazed that almost a year later and it's still one of the top phones on the market, however that seems like it is coming to end. Check out the Motorola Atrix 4g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_aZMJ08_A) .. Dual core 1ghz processors.. highest resolution of any android phone ever.. etc.. I really hope htc and sprint start pushing out some of this new software to us (android 2.3, new htc sense) asap so that we can hold our place in the market. Either that or release an evo 2 that blows everything else away just as the original evo did.. anyway thats just my 2cents.. feel free to speculate and let me know what you think the future holds for the htc evo 4g

2. Slice28

when i say "obsolete" i mean more-or-less outdated.. its still a kick ass phone, just not top of the line for much longer
  3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Haha...did you not expect that? I didn't buy the evo thinking it would be my last phone purchase.
  4. In the technology industry, if you are king of the hill for 3 months, you are doing something right, let alone 1 year.
  5. Knewz

Knewz Well-Known Member

yeah... thats what happens..... Phone are new, and then they are old.
  6. decaffviper17

decaffviper17 Well-Known Member

Smart phones are obsolete the day you buy them. thats just how technology works.
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

exactly. this phone cant be king of the hill forever. im surprised its still one of the tops and we are 4 months from its one year anniversary soon.
  8. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

There are two types of phones, experimental and obsolete. The majority of the peeps won't even use the Evo to its fullest. I know my wife doesn't. But the Atrix is one sweet phone. But don't worry your pretty little head; it will be obsolete by the time it hits the market in a month.
  9. Slice28

i guess i forgot to infer the fact that yes of course i expected this to happen at some point.. i just thought it wuld happen a lot sooner.. in other words im trying to express how great of an investment the evo was.. also im curious as to how much longer the phone will hold its on and if it will be getting updates like gingerbread and new htc sense soon .. or if evo 2 will be released sometime this summer. when a lot of us will be eligible for a full upgrade :)
  10. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Can't see it being "obsolete" for a while. The onslaught of new phones really aren't so spectacular. What do they do that Evo doesn't? And for all the promises of speed, the data pipelines are the chokepoints and haven't really caught up with phones capabilities, including Evo's.

Now, if Wimax went off track, that's another story.
  11. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I'm betting it'll be a long time before another Smartphone stays on top as long as Evo did. I'm very surprised they didn't release something better sooner tbh.
  12. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

The Evo was a great investment. I too am surprised it has done as well as it did. I will he interest to see what the Evo 2, if created, will bring to the table.
  13. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the Evo killer :).

If it's available around June from Sprint, that'd be perfect!

I want a Tablet I can use as a phone. The Dell Streak is pretty close!
  14. geeingu

geeingu Well-Known Member

I like HTC phones so ill be getting the next HTC Evo 2 or whatever kills the evo
  15. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Just like how I've replace my pre for the EVO - I would have to replace the EVO with some exciting phone with features that the EVO doesn't have. I've yet to seen one.
  16. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

I wonder when and what the next 4G Android phone will be for Sprint.
  17. Addicted2EVO

Addicted2EVO New Member

I second this. Let companies go ahead and come out with these blazing fast cell phones, until I have 4G where ever I go I could care less how many processors a phone has. I have tasted 4G speed while on a road trip and I WISH I had it where I live. Till that day comes my EVO is perfect.
  18. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

I love my phone, I only wish I can at some point enjoy some 4G love here in San Diego, when that happens it will be new technology to me :D, after that I might be able to say it's outdated.

As most have mentioned almost a year and in my opinion still a benchmark of a phone.
  19. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

The Evo has been top phone for so long because no other phone released after it was significantly better. Epic (Galaxy S) was on par with the Evo. The Shift is basically a Lite version of Evo. And that pretty much does it for Sprint android phones.

Over at verizon you had Droid 2 and Droid X. Both are pretty much the same level as the Evo. Actually, during this period, I actually thought that Android phones fell into a lull. When's the next eyepopper going to come out?

It will be a while before I consider Evo obsolete. Sure it won't be at the top anymore in 2011, but it's still a damn respectable phone. No one's going to laugh at the Evo for a while.
  20. Ivansandroid

Ivansandroid Well-Known Member

I really don't like Motorola and Android combo'd together. I have a friend that's on Verizon and he had had every Motorola they've come out with. They are cheap to me. He's counting down to the Thunderbolt release. They were OK for Nextel. But in my opinion, the HTC / sense is way better pound for pound.
  21. JessaCavalier

JessaCavalier Member

R u kidding??? The EVO will always bee on top of the phone world!! Hehe
    Orion likes this.
  22. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member

x2 ;)
  23. angldvl81

angldvl81 Well-Known Member

i'm debating switching to verizon for the Tbolt. almost exact same specs BUT with 8GB internal and 50% more RAM....cant go wrong there!

i'm holding out for a bit to see what sprint releases this summer though. not to fond of getting rid of sprint so heres to hoping sprint comes out with a better phone!!
  24. Tank076

Tank076 Active Member

i know this is off topic but if i buy a phone off contract will i need to pay a deposit
  25. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Theres no denying that the EVO still has staying power. This phone came out a little more than 9 months ago. In this day and age that's an amazing feat.