• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Soon to become Obsolete ?

You need to look up the definition of obsolete. The original Motorola startac phones are now obsolete, as no carrier (to my knowledge) has a network that supports them. turn them on, you get nothing. That is obsolete. The evo will just not be the market leader anymore. Even then, so what? Why would I spend extra money to change away from what is an excellent phone? When my contract is up, I'll assess what is out there. It is possible that the feature set/value proposition of the new phones won't measure up to my requirements, and I'll stick with the Evo.

Upvote 0
You need to look up the definition of obsolete. The original Motorola startac phones are now obsolete, as no carrier (to my knowledge) has a network that supports them. turn them on, you get nothing. That is obsolete. The evo will just not be the market leader anymore. Even then, so what? Why would I spend extra money to change away from what is an excellent phone? When my contract is up, I'll assess what is out there. It is possible that the feature set/value proposition of the new phones won't measure up to my requirements, and I'll stick with the Evo.

Very well said and I agree.

Upvote 0
when i say "obsolete" i mean more-or-less outdated.. its still a kick ass phone, just not top of the line for much longer

Hey man, the fact that the EVO (in all its very deserved glory) held top honors for a year is nothing short of amazing!!!! I got mine in either late august or early sept (i cant remember) and ive loved it ever since!!!! Now if youre a poor unfortunate ba$**** who got his recently, then you have my sympathy. But only sympathy in regards to not having it for longer. Some of us have enjoyed having this device for quite some time, and being king of the phone hill is indeed a cool thing. If you just got yours, you shoulda waited, as we are on the precipice of a phone revolution as we were about a year ago b4 the orig EVO dropped....

Upvote 0
EVO didn't come out until June 2010, so not exactly a year (MyTouch 4g had better specs than EVO, so does ThunderBolt).

Yes and no.....there are features those phones have that the evolution doesn't and vise versa.

I am watching the thunderbolt forum closely....but don't feel either of those really put the evo to shame at all.

Upvote 0
i guess i forgot to infer the fact that yes of course i expected this to happen at some point.. i just thought it wuld happen a lot sooner.. in other words im trying to express how great of an investment the evo was.. also im curious as to how much longer the phone will hold its on and if it will be getting updates like gingerbread and new htc sense soon .. or if evo 2 will be released sometime this summer. when a lot of us will be eligible for a full upgrade :)

I agree! The phone was def an awesome investment.For 199 with a new contract or upgrade,i def feel like i got my money's worth on this phone...I went from a moment and i went through 3 of those and 2 hero's so with all the bugs i had to endure im happy with the evo...Although i am on my second evo...i still love the phone and all its features!

Upvote 0
i'm debating switching to verizon for the Tbolt. almost exact same specs BUT with 8GB internal and 50% more RAM....cant go wrong there!

i'm holding out for a bit to see what sprint releases this summer though. not to fond of getting rid of sprint so heres to hoping sprint comes out with a better phone!!

You won't have to wait very long to see what Sprint has to offer next. Just read the news next week around the 22nd and 23rd. Sprint is making announcements at CTIA. One of the rumors is a EVO 3D phone.

And for those of you that haven't read The Sprint subforum, Motorola Atrix 4G is supposedly heading to Sprint, as well as 4G Xoom Tablet.

Upvote 0
If the EVO were introduced today it wouldn't be called obsolete, it just may not be considered the top top dog. It's still a very capable and desirable phone. I've met several people who have Android phones or iPhones and they have no clue how to do anything but make phone calls and use apps that happen to already be there. One friend even went out and bought an iPad and all he ever does with it is play Angry Birds and another game. I asked him why he bought it and he said "because everyone else was". You don't have to be smart to buy this stuff.

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0
I got my hands on an Atrix the other day and am still glad I have the Evo. Motorola just knows how to make a phone look like a cheap POS.

The phone that de-thrones Evo in my eyes in the Thunderbolt. This phone f'n flies and it's HTC. This phone is everything I expect the Evo2 to be. Can you say 1900+ quadrant score out of the box & 4G speeds that make my cable modem jealous... :eek:

4gthunderbolt.jpg

Upvote 0
I absolutely love my evo and I'm simply amazed that almost a year later and it's still one of the top phones on the market, however that seems like it is coming to end. Check out the Motorola Atrix 4g (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_aZMJ08_A) .. Dual core 1ghz processors.. highest resolution of any android phone ever.. etc.. I really hope htc and sprint start pushing out some of this new software to us (android 2.3, new htc sense) asap so that we can hold our place in the market. Either that or release an evo 2 that blows everything else away just as the original evo did.. anyway thats just my 2cents.. feel free to speculate and let me know what you think the future holds for the htc evo 4g

I think it will become obsolete really soon. I bet a new line of the Evo may be released sometime this year or early next year. Also, if Sprint moves to LTE, we will need to get new phones as ours work only with WiMax. I still love my phone and hope it stays around a bit longer. After seeing how Sprint/Samsung treated the Moment, I think they may treat them the same way by not allowing Evo owners to upgrade to Android 2.3/3.0/newer versions which will force us to upgrade if we want the newest OS.

But perhaps Sprint will be like Verizon and their Droid and let them just be different versions all up to date. Hopefully.

Upvote 0
I got my hands on an Atrix the other day and am still glad I have the Evo. Motorola just knows how to make a phone look like a cheap POS.

The phone that de-thrones Evo in my eyes in the Thunderbolt. This phone f'n flies and it's HTC. This phone is everything I expect the Evo2 to be. Can you say 1900+ quadrant score out of the box & 4G speeds that make my cable modem jealous... :eek:

4gthunderbolt.jpg

you think the thunderbolt is bad ass.. look at the new evo3d specs....

lte right now .. is looking to be super fast...

Upvote 0

4gthunderbolt.jpg

That picture is suspect. It could be on wifi for all we know, since they conveniently cut the status bar from the top of the screen.

Besides, the speedtest app is pretty crappy. You get a much better result by just going to the website.

Upvote 0
That picture is suspect. It could be on wifi for all we know, since they conveniently cut the status bar from the top of the screen.

Besides, the speedtest app is pretty crappy. You get a much better result by just going to the website.

Agreed on both points. I can vouch for the test results, we did it a half dozen times on 4G. It was SIGNIFICANTLY slower on wifi. It was almost comical. The pic was taken from a DroidX and yes it looks like crap.

I'll take a nicer pic (including status bar) from my Evo next chance I get. On 3G the DX and my Evo were about evenly slow :).

Upvote 0
Agreed on both points. I can vouch for the test results, we did it a half dozen times on 4G. It was SIGNIFICANTLY slower on wifi. It was almost comical. The pic was taken from a DroidX and yes it looks like crap.

I'll take a nicer pic (including status bar) from my Evo next chance I get. On 3G the DX and my Evo were about evenly slow :).

Use Shootme from the market place on your evo to get the best picture of the full screen, that will give you the best results since it takes a screenshot much like you would on your pc.

Upvote 0

The picture is genuine. The DL speed was correct, as it was running on HSPA+ in a city where there were no other users yet. Just like I got 20 down in KC on Sprint 4g before it went live.

The software manufacturer admitted the UL speed was wrong.

That was in a giz or engadget post.

Upvote 0
The specs on the Evo 3D make it a worthy successor. It doesn't make the Evo obsolete, but it definitely does overshadow it. So much of the phone got significant improvements: CPU, pixel density, battery life, etc.

I've already previewed gingerbread via MIUI, and the improvements are very good. But I hear the Evo 1 will be getting GB, so that definitely keeps it away from obsolescence a while longer.

Reactions: dvrcowboy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones