• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Spontaneously Combusted - No Joke

..terminoology is important..

It didn't combust, it may have shorted out, but the quality of photo's doesn't help in determination.

Power button, user facing camera, volume control are located in the general area so it's not impossible that it happend as OP says. We've seen other threads with people reporting what sounds like a short involving the display. Imagine its going to take a tech opening it up to make a final, accurate determination.

Second set is better sail, and I have to say that it does seem (to me) to reflect some sort of heat related damage.

Upvote 0
How's this for all you morons who think they know better: This is the best you're going to get - if you don't want to believe me, keep it to yourself, and go start some other thread that will make you feel better about yourself.

Literally the only damage is that which was caused by whatever short did this.

Hmm lemme apologize for doubting you, I do see something in that last pic.

Funny how you dont have to prove anything to anyone, yet you do it again... and its called sarcasm, ever heard of it.

Upvote 0
You do realise that he doesn't have to prove anything to any of us right? He just relayed an experience he had with the phone and has no reason to lie about this. Take it for what it is...

Your right he doesn't....

I showed the pic to my wife and asked her what she thinks happened to it..... She said wow, that sucks to have dropped a brand new phone!

I pointed out the discoloration on the ear piece aswell when she was looking at the pic.

After I showed her what the OP posted happened, she said it looks like there is a chip on the edge of the phone missing.

So hey, whatever... Since he is getting a new phone I guess it doesn't really matter what exactly happened IMO.

Upvote 0
it was probably a blow capacitor in the camera wiring... faulty shit happens

although explain this (note i do believe you because of the pics) you said you played with it friday and most of saturday and then friday night it did that... did your EVO take you back in time to friday night before this happened? because time travel is very exhausting on phones and taking a picture right after it may have just been the straw that broke the camels back. when you get your new EVO, let it cool after doing some time travel will ya?

So, anotherwords it was the Flux Capacitor that blew. :)

Upvote 0
it was probably a blow capacitor in the camera wiring... faulty shit happens

although explain this (note i do believe you because of the pics) you said you played with it friday and most of saturday and then friday night it did that... did your EVO take you back in time to friday night before this happened? because time travel is very exhausting on phones and taking a picture right after it may have just been the straw that broke the camels back. when you get your new EVO, let it cool after doing some time travel will ya?

Now that is funny....crap...i hadn't realised i screwed up the first post. I guess reading comprehension comes back to bite me. This "blowout" happened Saturday night. My bad. While the EVO is amazing, i'm pretty sure Time Travel isn't on the list of available features.

I'll edit the first post.

Upvote 0
Your right he doesn't....

I showed the pic to my wife and asked her what she thinks happened to it..... She said wow, that sucks to have dropped a brand new phone!

I pointed out the discoloration on the ear piece aswell when she was looking at the pic.

After I showed her what the OP posted happened, she said it looks like there is a chip on the edge of the phone missing.

So hey, whatever... Since he is getting a new phone I guess it doesn't really matter what exactly happened IMO.

Well, as you say, it doesn't matter. I was simply trying to share what i thought was a rather amusing / disappointing end result to my months of anticipation for the phone. If I had my DSLR available, i could have set it up and taken some macro shots that would show everyone that the only place that looks like there is a chip missing, is where the plastic has literally melted. But this was all an exercise to share a story - i didn't think that i was going to be accosted with discovery requests to prove every aspect of what happened.

Upvote 0
Hmm lemme apologize for doubting you, I do see something in that last pic.

Funny how you dont have to prove anything to anyone, yet you do it again... and its called sarcasm, ever heard of it.

What may have been sarcasm to you does not come across on a discussion board - and give the attacking posts from other users, i'm sure you can understand my take on what was said.

As for not having to prove things - believe me, i am no obligated, nor do i feel obligated. I didn't expect so many people to doubt what had happened, and so for others who read this thread, i figured it best to show as many pictures as i can. But i promise i am no losing any sleep over whether anyone here believes me or not.

Upvote 0
Since when is Lithium-Ion suddenly Lithium Polymer?

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am using a Sprint purchased and supplied "spare" battery for the EVO (it's actually a TP2 battery I assume) and it says Lithium-Ion Polymer .... which is a LiPo ... on the battery.

Looking at the RED ORIGINAL battery it only says Lithium Ion. I wudda thunk they'd both be the same.

Red battery Part #:35H00123-22m
Spare battery Part #:35H00123-02M

photograph1.jpg

Upvote 0
How's this for all you morons who think they know better: This is the best you're going to get - if you don't want to believe me, keep it to yourself, and go start some other thread that will make you feel better about yourself.

Literally the only damage is that which was caused by whatever short did this.

THE ALIENS DID IT!!!!! lol Well all I can say is that really sucks. Lets hope the replacement is better.

Upvote 0
..terminoology is important..

It didn't combust, it may have shorted out, but the quality of photo's doesn't help in determination.

Power button, user facing camera, volume control are located in the general area so it's not impossible that it happend as OP says. We've seen other threads with people reporting what sounds like a short involving the display. Imagine its going to take a tech opening it up to make a final, accurate determination.

Second set is better sail, and I have to say that it does seem (to me) to reflect some sort of heat related damage.

Yeah, like good thing you didn't miss spell terminology, or that would be both ironic and embarrassing. ;)

Reactions: RoadkillStewie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones