• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Sprint Advocate chosen at my local Sprint store

dcdttu

Oct 15, 2009
Sprint chooses an 'Advocate' for each new phone when it launches, giving a new, not-released phone to one employee to learn the month before the launch. My friend works at a store, and today they decided on their Advocate. My friend said that the Advocate is always decided within about a month of its release!

Yay!

Sprint chooses an 'Advocate' for each new phone when it launches, giving a new, not-released phone to one employee to learn the month before the launch. My friend works at a store, and today they decided on their Advocate. My friend said that the Advocate is always decided within about a month of its release!

Yay!

yup my sprint store got theirs to hope they let me play with it!

Upvote 0
great news! i wonder if any of the other sprint employees on this board can confirm this "advocate is usually selected 1 month before the release" theory, and if theirs have already been selected. lets hope for a may 22nd launch, but if not, i guess june 6th/13th is ok too :).

I think it's possible but the guys on here delivering the 'leaks' to everyone are "100% sure it's not coming in May". I'm going to laugh if it does come out at the end of May. I'll take their word though :)

Upvote 0
This is just my opinion...

I am not a person who resorts to the idiocy of "sprint you better the release the phone or I am getting an iphone! or incredible!" but you have to see that there is some urgency in releasing the phone.

Noting the mild debacle that was the release of the Pre and its timing surrounding the iphone 3gs, shouldn't sprint make a push to beat the 4g iphone? Look, I am a sprint fan(boy?)...i love my service, love what I pay. I hate to see this company go further down...especially to the inferior network that is AT&T. I fear that a release AFTER the 4g iphone is a recipe for doom/gloom.

I am a realist. There are a lot of average joes who love the iphone cause its "cool" and I would love people to be able to see this powerful/awesome phone for what it is...and that is nothing short of a better alternative/better phone.

Here is hoping sprint thinks like i do. If not, I will wait till June 6/13 to buy the next phone that got smoked (in terms of sales numbers) by the overhyped, narcissistic, proprietary apple machine.

Upvote 0
great news! i wonder if any of the other sprint employees on this board can confirm this "advocate is usually selected 1 month before the release" theory, and if theirs have already been selected. lets hope for a may 22nd launch, but if not, i guess june 6th/13th is ok too :).

I sure would be interested in hearing other sources confirming this theory...and here's to hoping for a May release, I'm too anxious to wait anymore!

Yay!

Hmm "within about a month"...I wish this wasn't so vague, but I'll take it LOL

Upvote 0
If the advocate on each store gets one, does that also mean in cities not with 4g service like nyc. Unless its turned on for them to test it. Being it is close to the may event. This looks so much more promising.
As for sprint being tight lip of late, many have said that its not to give the competition any more juicy tidbits.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
If the advocate on each store gets one, does that also mean in cities not with 4g service like nyc. Unless its turned on for them to test it. Being it is close to the may event. This looks so much more promising.
As for sprint being tight lip of late, many have said that its not to give the competition any more juicy tidbits.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Yeah I want to know what the secret goodies are that they promised.

Upvote 0
k here we go

2.1 android
1 gig built in memory for storage
512 memory
feel great in hands I am not sure about the keyboard I do have big hands though
red trim inside like the incredible
the camera = AWESOME OMG
makes calls data texting work perfectly to bad no 4g in my area
a bit lighter then an hd2

oh the screen I forgot in my other post tft may not sound fancy but omg its pretty. I wish I could have taken it outside but wouldnt matter its cloudy here.

length wise bigger then my tp2 but my tp2 could eat it for breakfast in thickness lol

sense ui + 1 ghz processer= perfect combination sutff was instant I am not used to that

he also told me it comes with an 8gb micro sd card, release date is usually 3-4 weeks after they get it, expecting to have 50-100 per store minumun, he was told this is the production model, he ws told its coming out at hte sametime everywhere.

also non evo news.... they have a nexus 1 as well... but I dont care about that so I ignored it and now leaving before I get someone in trouble. But all in all evo looks like a win I just wish I coudl have taken some pictures but they took my phone grrr. Oh well take all this info with a grain of salt if you will. I drilled him also on other releases and he isnt sure beyond whats offical but he said he has heard rumors of the samsung galaxy S pro while talking to the people about the evo but just rumors. also rumors flying about the palm c40 that sitll is in their computer and they have no information on.

Upvote 0
k here we go

2.1 android
512 memory
the camera = AWESOME OMG

oh the screen I forgot in my other post tft may not sound fancy but omg its pretty. I wish I could have taken it outside but wouldnt matter its cloudy here.

length wise bigger then my tp2 but my tp2 could eat it for breakfast in thickness lol

sense ui + 1 ghz processer= perfect combination sutff was instant I am not used to that

he also told me it comes with an 8gb micro sd card, release date is usually 3-4 weeks after they get it, expecting to have 50-100 per store minumun, he was told this is the production model, he ws told its coming out at hte sametime everywhere.

also non evo news.... they have a nexus 1 as well... but I dont care about that so I ignored it and now leaving before I get someone in trouble. But all in all evo looks like a win I just wish I coudl have taken some pictures but they took my phone grrr. Oh well take all this info with a grain of salt if you will. I drilled him also on other releases and he isnt sure beyond whats offical but he said he has heard rumors of the samsung galaxy S pro while talking to the people about the evo but just rumors. also rumors flying about the palm c40 that sitll is in their computer and they have no information on.

By red trim do you mean the speaker is red? Thanks for the awesome heads up! =)

Upvote 0

May 22nd would be a great 25th birthday present for myself! :)

Reactions: Jordus
Upvote 0
k here we go

2.1 android
512 memory
the camera = AWESOME OMG

you lucky bastard! lol. that's awesome. so what was your reservations about the keyboard? i'm assuming it would just take time for you to get used to the sense keyboard? did you try to take any quick videos around the store with the recorder? were the front 4 touch buttons responsive/accurate? did you try to browse the internet?

Upvote 0
the incredible has 8gb on board memory (that android apps can't even read) with no memory card. the evo (from what ajac is saying) has 1 gig for apps plus an 8gb memory card. i hope jackson is right as well and we get a memory card AND a boatload of onboard memory. but if he isn't right on that. i'd rather have the 1 gig ROM plus 8gb card as supposed to 8gb on board that apps can't read.

so, all in all, chill the (word that TS wouldn't like) out.

Upvote 0
the incredible has 8gb on board memory (that android apps can't even read) with no memory card. the evo (from what ajac is saying) has 1 gig for apps plus an 8gb memory card. i hope jackson is right as well and we get a memory card AND a boatload of onboard memory. but if he isn't right on that. i'd rather have the 1 gig ROM plus 8gb card as supposed to 8gb on board that apps can't read.

from what i have read that is true. 1gb ROM 512 RAM and 8gb card installed

Upvote 0

So what if the internal memory cant store apps?

Then what are we using SD cards for? MEDIA. And what does that internal storage do? store MEDIA.

The Incredible has 748MB of memory for apps.

So the EVO beats that by a little? Not too impressive IMO.

I really wanted the EVO but this is starting to look less and less impressive to me by the day.

Upvote 0
So what if the internal memory cant store apps?

Then what are we using SD cards for? MEDIA. And what does that internal storage do? store MEDIA.

The Incredible has 748MB of memory for apps.

So the EVO beats that by a little? Not too impressive IMO.

I really wanted the EVO but this is starting to look less and less impressive to me by the day.

So - just to put this in perspective, I have been making a list of apps that I want to download to my Evo when I finally get it via appbrain.com. I currently have 81 apps selected that TOTAL 63 MB.

To bore you with a little math, that means these apps on average are .78 MB. With 1 GB of app space on the Evo, that means I can fit 1,282 apps on my Evo (assuming they average out to .78 MB, yada yada). Do you really think there are 1,282 apps that you're going to download and find useful on your phone? My guess is no, and that 1 GB is plenty of space.

Upvote 0

From what I've read, the Incredible has 8gb internal storage AND a slot for a microSD that's upgradable to 16gb

Droid Incredible by HTC| Mobile Phones | Verizon Wireless

According to the website, it says 512MB ROM and 512MB RAM

It seems to me like people are still confusing internal storage with ROM. They're not the same thing. The EVO spec sheets have indicated 1GB ROM and 512 RAM, but that has no indication of what the internal storage is.

Upvote 0
So - just to put this in perspective, I have been making a list of apps that I want to download to my Evo when I finally get it via appbrain.com. I currently have 81 apps selected that TOTAL 63 MB.

To bore you with a little math, that means these apps on average are .78 MB. With 1 GB of app space on the Evo, that means I can fit 1,282 apps on my Evo (assuming they average out to .78 MB, yada yada). Do you really think there are 1,282 apps that you're going to download and find useful on your phone? My guess is no, and that 1 GB is plenty of space.

I don't care about app storage, thats not my concern, I was talking about storage for everything BUT apps.

Anyways, my concerns have been calmed by a source and all is well.

My point was, that the EVO was said to be the best spec'd phone by a longshot when it was released, and based by what he said, it wasn't blowing the Incredible out of the water by any means.

Anyways, I heard what I needed to hear.

Hopefully, everything plays out like it should.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones