EVO stuck in reboot loop. Fix?Support

Last Updated:

1. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a non-rooted EVO with all the latest updates and lately it will randomly go into a reboot loop. The only way I've been able to stop this loop is immediately put it in airplane mode, that is when it gets as far as the main screen. Usually it doesn't even get to the 4G animation before crashing again.

Is there a fix for this? Or is this a hardware issue? I have not done a hard reset yet or anything.

Advertisement
  2. tjward5489

tjward5489 Member

Mine did this for a week straight at the same time every day. Everytime it would do it I would be nowhere near a Sprint store until last Friday. I took it in and as soon as the rep saw it he ordered me a new phone and said it should be here today. Didn't ask why it did it tho. There was someone else in the store tho that said he has had 2 Evo's that did this. Hopefully this new one doesn't do it because I love my Evo.

3. apocalypse_later

Crap, I hope its not a hardware issue. Did you have the insurance? I dont have the insurance.

Of course, today it stopped doing it. I did read through some threads about this and it looks like its common. Some people think its heat related or GPS related. I guess I'll take it back to Sprint if a hard reset doesn't fix it. Having my phone out of comission when I really need it isn't acceptable. I'm starting to miss my iphone. Come on Android, dont let me down!

4. tjward5489

tjward5489 Member

Yeah I have insurance but I dont think it matters. The guy saw what it was doing and immediately ordered me a new one.

5. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

You definitely SHOULD NOT need insurance to get Sprint to resolve this for you. Clearly it's a malfunctioning device.
    I think its related to Heat (as mentioned) or a defective CPU.

**One caveat: If your phone is obviously damaged from being dropped and abused, its likely Sprint may try to put it on you, stand your ground if this happens.

6. tjward5489

tjward5489 Member

My phone has been really bad today. It used to just do it once a day, but today it's happened 3 times!!!???!! I think it knows it's about to be sent back so it's giving me a hard time lol

7. apocalypse_later

I think this could be related to the last update. The phone only started doing it since. I've done a hard reset and shut off GPS to see if it helps.

I'm a little concerned about warranty service. The damn lens on the camera is broken. I'm not even sure when that happened, as this thing has been babied since I got it. I hope they dont turn me down because its cracked.

8. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Well all you can do is try. If they turn you down at the store, call Sprint and try that method.

If you're a premier customer, pay your bills on time and have a decent service time with them you can convince them to do just about anything for you...

9. Livaud

Livaud New Member

I had this happen to me tonight, it wouldn't even pass the Sprint screen, let alone actually load anything. From what I've read, it seems to be either A) a hardware problem that HTC can (and usually will) fix. or B) Requires a hard reset. Though that seems to only be a temporary fix.

I really didn't want to lose my data from a hard reset so I launched to the bootloader (hold volume down key and power button) chose fastboot then picked reboot from that. It relaunched my phone, ending the boot loop and kept me from doing a hard reset. What the actual problem is, I have no clue. but if you ever get stuck, at least you have one more option, I had taken the battery out, charged the phone, let the phone die and recharged it and tried turning it on each of those various steps. Why the bootloader reboot worked and nothing else did, I have no clue and whether it's a permanent fix or not, again, I have no clue, but at least it booted my phone and I can back up my contacts and such for if/when I get it fixed/hard reset. Good luck everyone!

P.S. I only made this account to make this post, for anyone on other forums, if you try this and it works for you, please do cross-post the solution, it saved me a lot of hassle and I hadn't seen it anywhere, I just tried it to be hopeful. Not to mention, the google results for the problem are pretty crappy, as most anyone on this page probably knows by now.

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Welcome to the forums!:D

Thanks for posting that up, its def worth a shot if it worked for you.

I personally haven't run into the bootlooping issue that wasn't caused by something root related (and is therefore easily fixed)

11. allenocheltree

allenocheltree New Member

My boss gave me an evo for my new work phone. ever since i have had it it keeps restarting on me. i have taken it in to two sprint stores. The one store couldnt hard restart it. The other store hard restarted it. It has been restarting on me over and over. I tried 3 batteries, putting it in the freezer. Nothing seems to be working. I have searched the internet all weekend for a answer and not getting anywhere. It will start restarting immediatly after i hard restart it. Very frustrating as it is my work phone and he left it for me to deal with. please can anyone help?

12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

it could really be a hardware failure. i have a refurbished evo because my original kept bootlooping. i took it in and they switched it out for a refurbished one. but, that was when the evo was not eol. now that it is, i doubt they would do something like that. do you have insurance? you might have to through assurion.

there really is not much you can do on an unrooted phone other then doing a factory reset.

13. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

If factory resets aren't working take it back to sprint, tell them resets arent working and they'll take the next steps.

frenchy714 and ocnbrze like this.
  14. minn

minn New Member

i have tried many suggestions to no avail. read something about clocking would like to know if it could be the culprit? Evo 4g unrooted. able to power down through bootloader option screen otherwise have to remove battery. have cleared cache but not storage, prefer to try other options. script said something about image not avail despite adding copy of os to new sd card. before installing that didnt get that far, so improved slightly. looks like its going to get past loop but doesnt. at one point said could not open cache recovery command, managed to wipe cache and apply update then error said invalid operation, it went black and rebooted back to loop, kept trying got success rebooting by reason o? something and then it restarted and kept reboot loop, there should be some easy solution, new sd card with 4x the room shouldnt cause problems why wont this correct itself, why do computers get more illogical? any suggestions? once it gets iverloaded and forced to function on little space it acts like a defiant child. how tempramental are these gadgets?

note: bought pny? brand 32Gb microsd at best buy, followed their hand written directions and rebootloop commenced, searched showed others having similar issues, best buy only try to charge me setvice fees fail to accept responsibility for their bad instructions which should have included unmount according to evo 4g and safer to minimize problems, camera etc worked prior to trying to upgrade memory. before when full could not even view photos but deleted apps, cleared cache and moved all i could to sd card. i returned that card and got a sandisk for $30 cheaper at radio shack, know it compatible as it came with same brand.