• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo to Epic... Back to Evo?

neags23

Jul 27, 2010
I owned a white Evo for a few weeks in late July/early August. I returned it after a few issues, and bought an Epic. I've had lots of Epic problems (GPS, wobbly keyboard, far worse battery than Evo, etc).

So I'm thinking of going back to the Evo. I'm hoping someone can clear a few things up for me.

1. The camera and video camera. The video camera was really, really bad in anything but super bright sunlight. Has there been any fix/update for the camera?

2. I bricked my WiMax before by rooting and installing different ROMs, and apparently a bad WiMax radio somewhere along the way. Does that seem to be a common issue? I'm buying online this time, so it's not as easy as driving to Best Buy to replace.

3. Now that the FPS cap is lifted, has anyone played any high intensity graphics games? Can anyone compare to the Epic? I know there aren't many games out which can really utilize the Epic's hardware, but I'm wondering if the Evo can keep up on something like Asphalt 5, or NOVA.

4. I only liked the slide out keyboard to use for emulators. Is playing an emulator with buttons on the screen something you just have to get used to? I can't imagine it feeling right...

Thanks for the answers!

2. I bricked my WiMax before by rooting and installing different ROMs, and apparently a bad WiMax radio somewhere along the way. Does that seem to be a common issue? I'm buying online this time, so it's not as easy as driving to Best Buy to replace.

this is the first i have read of this happening. are you sure you "bricked" it? some roms don't have the wimax working, ones based on aosp. all the stock based roms have wimax working.

also whenever sprint/htc releases an update there are new wimax radios to install.

Upvote 0
I owned a white Evo for a few weeks in late July/early August. I returned it after a few issues, and bought an Epic. I've had lots of Epic problems (GPS, wobbly keyboard, far worse battery than Evo, etc).

So I'm thinking of going back to the Evo. I'm hoping someone can clear a few things up for me.

1. The camera and video camera. The video camera was really, really bad in anything but super bright sunlight. Has there been any fix/update for the camera?
It's a super small sensor. No it has not been fixed. The Iphone4/Epic are marginally better because they don't have as many pixels on that same small sensor (helps with light absorbtion)

On XDA there are ways to bring your wiMax back to life!

3. Now that the FPS cap is lifted, has anyone played any high intensity graphics games? Can anyone compare to the Epic? I know there aren't many games out which can really utilize the Epic's hardware, but I'm wondering if the Evo can keep up on something like Asphalt 5, or NOVA.

I've had the FPS "lifted" for a while, I haven't had any noticeable difference in performance of Video games. That being said, while it's not as good as the HummingBird SOC, I don't have any complaints from the SnapDragon setup at all.

4. I only liked the slide out keyboard to use for emulators. Is playing an emulator with buttons on the screen something you just have to get used to? I can't imagine it feeling right...

Thanks for the answers!

I gave up on emulators (unless they have a good on screen controller option)

Upvote 0
If complex graphic gaming and video are priorities for you, stick with the epic.

They aren't necessarily priorities, but if a good game with complex graphics comes out, I'd like to know if I'd be able to play it.

It's a super small sensor. No it has not been fixed. The Iphone4/Epic are marginally better because they don't have as many pixels on that same small sensor (helps with light absorbtion)

Good to know, thanks. Shooting video isn't a high priority, but that was definitely a huge weak spot for the Evo...

this is the first i have read of this happening. are you sure you "bricked" it? some roms don't have the wimax working, ones based on aosp. all the stock based roms have wimax working.

also whenever sprint/htc releases an update there are new wimax radios to install.

On XDA there are ways to bring your wiMax back to life!

It was an issue where flashing a certain radio gave you a bad WiMax MAC address and erased your RSA keys. The MAC address was fixable, getting back your RSA keys was not.

I've had the FPS "lifted" for a while, I haven't had any noticeable difference in performance of Video games. That being said, while it's not as good as the HummingBird SOC, I don't have any complaints from the SnapDragon setup at all.

I gave up on emulators (unless they have a good on screen controller option)

I've only used SNESoid. While using the slide out keyboard isn't great, I imagine it'd be better than using the on screen option. I guess I can try that on the Epic to see, though the extra screen on the Evo would certainly help.

Thanks for the all the answers so far, guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones