EVO too loudSupport

Last Updated:

1. gt4rcdude

gt4rcdude New Member This Topic's Starter

My EVO is too loud on both speaker and bluetooth headset. I have all volumes turned all the way down, including the headset. Sometimes on the headset it ramps up all by itself, then goes back down. In the two years I had my Instinct (I know) the headset never did this. Using the phone only the speaker sometimes distorts on a call it's so loud.

Phone is unrooted.
    I've applied all updates.
    I've adjusted all settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

You can try a program called "Sound Manager" that is in the Market.

3. cr74mz

cr74mz Member

Is it only on Speaker and Bluetooth? or does it occur during normal operation as a handset? From my experience, speaker has always caused distortion, on every phone I've used. I don't have any experience with Bluetooth, but there seems to be a lot of reports of general quirky issues after this new update. Have you tried resetting your Evo? (Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset>reset phone)

4. Johnp1732

Johnp1732 New Member

Sound manager doesn't work.

The volume is off for all items. System, Ringer, notification, media, alarm, and in-call.

I can plug in a pair of headphones, either a $3 pair from frys that I can use for phone calls, or my sony noise-reduction types. (mdr-nc7)
    Once i plug them in, I had severely loud sound coming from the headphones.

Now, I am using iHeartRadio, so it may be the program itself.
    BUT, the sound also comes on for some of games I play too. (Angry Birds, World at War, iMobsters)

Unrooted phone, and I really don't plan on reseting it. (unless that just settings and not anything else.)

5. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

resets fix odd issues... no one knows why...it just works.

other than defective hardware...I don't see many options here...and this would be an odd combination of a defective speaker AND headphone jack ...not unheard of and might be worth taking in to a sprint repair center.

repair center typical will do the following:

update data
    update prl
    reset
    technician test

6. galynne

galynne New Member

I just logged on here because I am having the same issue - My handset is WAY too loud on the quietest setting. I am waiting for blood to start coming from my ear drum!

Suggestions or does this sound purely like a hardware issue?

I just got the phone two weeks ago and now have it all setup to my heart's content, so replacing it would suck!

7. davidhooper

davidhooper Member

I have the exact same issue. Just called HTC tech support and the guy laughed at me. Said he hadn't heard of anybody else having this issue, but if you do a search, you'll see it's very common.

I have tried several apps to help with it, but none work. The only solution I can find is perhaps an adapter with a volume knob? Something like Amazon.com: Koss VC20 Volume Control: Electronics for example, although be aware that this one won't work, since it isn't made for something with a mic. :(

8. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Well-Known Member

very odd.. Sounds like hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer but I sure wish my evo had that problem... I have the in call volume cranked all the way up and if there's anything going around me at all I have a hard time hearing it. If I'm driving I almost don't even like to make calls...