• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo touch screen locking up

Roymus

Jul 18, 2010
I am having a weird issue with my Evo that I haven't seen elsewhere. Occasionally (usually after a call), my Evo's screen will lock up...by that I mean the phone continues to function if I get a call or text, but I can't press any buttons or anything else on the screen (I'm still on v2.1). I can press the Power button and it brings up the power options dialog, but I'm unable to select any option or dismiss it. Usually if I wait a few minutes the screen will eventuall unfreeze and allow normal operation, but on a couple of occasions I had to pull the battery. Coming from the Palm Pre I'm used to this kind of crap, but I was hoping I left it behind me. Is there a way to reboot the phone just using the hard keys (i.e., some combination of Power + volume)? This would be an acceptable workaround...in fact, I would pay for an app that would turn the Power button into a "power off" button with a long press (hold the key down for 10 seconds and it turns off the phone). Otherwise, this is just annoying, but so far I'm living with it...any help is welcome! Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones