EVO USB Socket Broken, Need Info on Part

Last Updated:

1. ShawnN

ShawnN Member This Topic's Starter

I broke the USB connector on my EVO. The socket is completely ripped off the PCB. Fortunately the pads are still in tact so I can solder a new one. My socket is busted though so I need to find a new one online somewhere.

Does anyone have some info on the part I need to get? I know it's a micro USB type B female socket, but there are several choices / specs I can choose here from Mouser, Digikey, etc. I need to make sure I get the right one.

Advertisement
  2. ez2bgman

ez2bgman Member

Do you have the insurance? If so, then just bring it to Sprint.

3. ShawnN

I don't even have the phone registered yet, it's an Google I/O phone so I'm using my last 10 days of free service. I don't think returning it is an option at this point, I already took the thing apart + rooted it.

4. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, you broke it because you were monkeying around with it and disassembling it? I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about breaking mine.

5. ShawnN

No, to be clear I didn't open the phone until the connector was not functioning. I wasn't sure if the connector was loose, broken off, or what so I opened it up and found the connector detached from the PCB entirely.

Honestly I was probably treating the connector a little rough, maybe yanking it out too hard when I was done charging. I should have been more careful. Now it's time to fix it.

6. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Sucks, but look at the bright side. I am sure some day someone will do same so keep us updated about what you need to do to fix.

So take comfort. You are helping the Evo community and adding to the knowledge base.