• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO V 4G Price Reduced

Went into Radio Shack last night to verify the $99 HTC EVO V sale. Clerk looked up on their in-store computer and verified the sale is on from 3/2 to 3/16. She did say the only one available is the black one. I may try to get Best Buy to price match as I want the white one. However, Best Buy's website did not even show the EVO V when I checked last night. Not even as sold out or out-of-stock! Any where I can get the white one that price matches?

Upvote 0
Went into Radio Shack last night to verify the $99 HTC EVO V sale. Clerk looked up on their in-store computer and verified the sale is on from 3/2 to 3/16. She did say the only one available is the black one. I may try to get Best Buy to price match as I want the white one. However, Best Buy's website did not even show the EVO V when I checked last night. Not even as sold out or out-of-stock! Any where I can get the white one that price matches?

As far as I know they never made a white EVO V for Virgin Mobile, only black and plum. I would take whatever color you can get, I think these phones are on the way to being gone forever.

Upvote 0
Went into my closest Radio Shack today (Sat) and talked to the manager about the $99 sale on the EVO V starting tomorrow (Sunday the 3rd). He had none in stock and he checked all the stores in the Dallas area and not one had the phone. He said their deliveries are on Friday (yesterday) and none came into any of the stores. This is the day before an advertised sale on the phone starts!!! And Radio Shack wonders why they are losing money! To advertise something and not stock the stores with that item is worse than stupid. He took my name and said he will call if one comes in but it would be at least next Friday when they get their next delivery. :mad:

Have a feeling I won't be getting this phone at the $99 price which is the main reason I was going to try it. :thumbdown:

Upvote 0
I can confirm that Best Buy will match prices, as that's how I got my sister to buy this phone when it was on Virginmobileusa.com for $150. If they match to online vendors, they will definitely match the Radio Shack price.

Checked Best Buy online tonight. They don't even have the EVO V on the website anywhere, even as OOS. They do have the Sprint EVO 3D version. Only EVO V items are accessories.

Wonder if this phone is being discontinued?

Upvote 0
None of the 4 local Radio Shacks that I called today had the Evo V in stock. Two of three Best Buy stores were out of stock when I called, with one claiming to have 6 left. I am going to see about picking up another one tomorrow (gave my Evo V to my wife to stop her from buying an iPhone, it's hard going back to my old Optimus V with busted GPS!). If they are out of that, I will probably get an Optimus Elite since there is a killer ROM out for it and it should perform very well, at least for a few months until the SGSIII comes out on VM (IF it does).

So, the big price cut on this must mean that Virgin is trying to clear out the stock of these. Is it to get people to jump onto the SGSII and Galaxy Victory, or does it mean that there will be a successor to the Evo V coming soon? Frankly, I do not see any any upgrade appeal in the SGSII or Victory compared to the Evo V (for someone that already has an Evo V). Now that they are rolling out 4G LTE and the SGSIV will hit the market in a few months, I wonder if they are getting ready to launch the SGSIII on Virgin. THAT is one that seems like a fairly worthy upgrade.

So, clearly the giant price cut means that they want to clear stocks. What do people think it means, or am I reading into it too much?

Upvote 0
None of the 4 local Radio Shacks that I called today had the Evo V in stock. Two of three Best Buy stores were out of stock when I called, with one claiming to have 6 left. I am going to see about picking up another one tomorrow (gave my Evo V to my wife to stop her from buying an iPhone, it's hard going back to my old Optimus V with busted GPS!). If they are out of that, I will probably get an Optimus Elite since there is a killer ROM out for it and it should perform very well, at least for a few months until the SGSIII comes out on VM (IF it does).

So, the big price cut on this must mean that Virgin is trying to clear out the stock of these. Is it to get people to jump onto the SGSII and Galaxy Victory, or does it mean that there will be a successor to the Evo V coming soon? Frankly, I do not see any any upgrade appeal in the SGSII or Victory compared to the Evo V (for someone that already has an Evo V). Now that they are rolling out 4G LTE and the SGSIV will hit the market in a few months, I wonder if they are getting ready to launch the SGSIII on Virgin. THAT is one that seems like a fairly worthy upgrade.

So, clearly the giant price cut means that they want to clear stocks. What do people think it means, or am I reading into it too much?

I think I agree with you. They are probably clearing the way for the successor. I hope they get the Evo LTE instead, as it's a beautiful phone and won't cost nearly as much as the Galaxy S3, which I believe they will get sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0

Yeah, me too. LTE is a plus, but the screen is lower resolution and I wouldn't expect the CPU/GPU to be anything more than incrementally better. Supposedly the battery life is about the same as the Evo V, which means it's pretty short haha.

It sounds like the HTC Evo 4G LTE is a decent update to the Evo spec-wise.
HTC EVO 4G LTE vs HTC EVO 3D - Phone specs comparison

Although, it would be cool if it used the MSM8960T with the updated 3xx series GPUs...

Anyway, we'll see what the price breakdown ends up being between the SGSIII and Evo LTE. I think that the AMOLED screen on the SGSIII looke better, but the phones have identical specs otherwise, as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0
Here in the Dallas area no one has the phone and it is not available on-line either. The manager of one of the stores I called said for some reason HTC is not sending any of the phones to Radio Shack warehouses. He says no one he has contacted at Radio Shack knows why. He is getting tons of calls from irate customers and cannot get an answer why they are not getting phones. He did say it is a problem at HTC's end, not Radio Shack. Maybe HTC has received so many returns that they don't want to get a bunch more of these phones out there... :)

Upvote 0
Called literally 40+ stores in the area from Radio Shack, Walmart, Target, and Best Buy. Finally found ONE at a Best Buy Mobile. Showed up with the Radio Shack ad, the dude at the Best Buy Mobile "verified in stock status" at a Radio Shack, and sold it to me for the $99.99 price. WINRAR!!!

nVPNg1Y.png

Upvote 0
Well, after spending yesterday looking online and calling every RS and BB in the Dallas area (and there are a LOT of them!), today I tried the BB Mobile like the earlier poster. None of them had them either. My last shot was Target stores. I finally found one store that had one left! Told them to hold it and I would be ASAP! Took the ad Watagump posted several days ago and they price matched. So I finally got one!

On another note, the ad Watagump posted should have been in today's (Sunday) paper as usual. RS ads along with everyone else's are always in the Sunday paper. However, it wasn't, which surprised me. Either it is regional or they decided to pull it as none of the phones are available. The ad was on their website but the phones are out of stock though...

Upvote 0
Well, after spending yesterday looking online and calling every RS and BB in the Dallas area (and there are a LOT of them!), today I tried the BB Mobile like the earlier poster. None of them had them either. My last shot was Target stores. I finally found one store that had one left! Told them to hold it and I would be ASAP! Took the ad Watagump posted several days ago and they price matched. So I finally got one!

On another note, the ad Watagump posted should have been in today's (Sunday) paper as usual. RS ads along with everyone else's are always in the Sunday paper. However, it wasn't, which surprised me. Either it is regional or they decided to pull it as none of the phones are available. The ad was on their website but the phones are out of stock though...

I am glad to see at least the deal was real. I was a little worried about it since the ad was posted quite some time in advance. A lot of shady dealings happen over the internet, glad to help people get a fantastic deal on this phone.

Upvote 0

Radio Shack has not had a ad in my local paper in a very very long time. I only see one at black friday. None in the store either. No idea how I would get another store to price match since I believe radio shack printed adverts are mythical.

Called just about every radio shack in my state to find this phone for my wife and no luck. I live on the border of new york and nothing over there either. I do have to go back to the store I got mine at two weeks ago and get the price adjusted. Couple stores told me to all back on their delivery day to see.

Upvote 0
I went to a Radio Shack and asked for their weekly ad paper first thing when they opened, then took that to the Best Buy Mobile once they opened up. Price matching was based upon the guy "verifying in stock at Radio Shack" :)

Never heard of that step before, but the salesman didn't care.

You are lucky they didn't enforce that little rule. I went to the RS website, put in my zip code and printed off the page with the EVO V on it. It said on the page at the top DALLAS, TX ad. Target actually went to RS website to verify the ad and matched with no hassle. They didn't seem to care about my printed ad.

About the Sunday printed RS ads, I get them on a regular basis. Was surprised one wasn't in todays paper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones