• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo V 4G rebooting after failed ROM flash

Xa27

Mar 5, 2013
I recently installed rooted and flashed my Evo V 4G.

Everything seemed to be working well and I managed to flash the ODEX ROM mentioned in the guide, making a recovery and everything. After I did that, I attempted to flash the CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 ROM for Sprint Evo 3D (to my understanding this should work with the Virgin Mobile version as well?). After flashing, the CyanogenMod logo popped up and a screen stating that it was initialing and updating all the apps came up. Once that finished, however, the phone began to constantly reboot itself without me ever actually getting to use the ROM itself. It simply displays the HTC logo for a bit and then the CyanogenMod logo before rebooting again.

Since I still have access to TWRP (removing the battery, then pushing down the volume button plus the power button), I attempted to load the backup that I had saved prior. However, after a long time (1066 seconds), it loaded only to suffer the same rebooting fate (although it no longer says Cyanogen Mod since the backup was saved with the ODEX ROM). Is there any way I can simply access my phone normally again (I don't care if I have to return it to stock conditions in order to do so). Thanks.

You must be S-OFF and using a different HBOOT than the one you've got to flash that ROM. Also, you either have to have taken the OTA update or have performed the "fix everything" steps.

I'd also recommend flashing 4ext recovery instead of TWRP.

Seems a few people's issues would have been resolved by following my guide today... just sayin :p

Reactions: Xa27
Upvote 0
Yes, I did wipe everything and made a recovery before originally flashing ODEX (that went without a hitch). I'm on HBOOT 1.57.0000, S-BOOT is on, and I followed this guide:

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Would you guys hapen to know why I have the same rebooting problem with the ODEX ROM then? I've flashed it once already so I know it's capable of working. Also, I will use 4ext in the future, but is there any way to recover my phone for now?

Upvote 0
My recommendation is to pull the battery out of the phone, then replace it.

Hold the volume down button, and press the power button. Your phone will reboot into the HBOOT.

Once in the HBOOT, select bootloader, then recovery. Wipe your phone and restore your backup. If that doesn't work, flash 4ext using fastboot (I will provide the file if you need it -- I haven't uploaded just that file yet, it's in a package).

Upvote 0
I think I tried that already but I will do it again. Also, I'm not sure if this is of any importance, but when I enter HBOOT, I see a bunch of lines that say "no image". In addition, can you explain how you would flash 4ext? I'm new to all this stuff as you can probably tell. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Those "no image" lines strike me as odd. Any chance you can take a picture of that screen and upload it to imgur or another image host? OH!! Any chance you have a PG86IMG.zip (or another similarly-named zip file) on the root of your SD card? If so, that has to be deleted.

At this point I'm thinking that running the RUU would be a good option.

To flash 4ext, download this file and place it in the same folder that you will be running fastboot from. After that, run the following command:
[HIGH]fastboot flash recovery recovery.img[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
Yes sir, put it in your sdk-tools folder and it should flash without issue from the bootloader. I would try the ODEX rom first, since that's the one you've got. If it doesn't work, there's a couple other steps that will most likely fix your issue.

Once you have 4ext flashed, you can select "bootloader" from your HBOOT, then recovery.

Once inside 4ext, select wipe | format. The second-to-last option is format all partitions (except sdcard). Tap on this and confirm your selection.

Once that's done, flash the ODEX ROM.

Upvote 0
I tried to flash the 4ext recovery file and got this:

C:\sdk-tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (5132 KB)... OKAY [ 1.540s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.883s]
finished. total time: 3.424s

However, once I select recovery, I still see the TWRP recovery. Did I not flash it correctly?

Upvote 0
It didn't work. At the end it said:

ERROR{140}:BOOTLOADER VERSION ERROR

Also, when it detected my ROM and showed the one it was replacing, it showed that I had 1.14 and was replacing it with 1.13 (not sure if going backwards is a problem). The program suggests that I get the proper RUU (also, the phone in the RUU does not seem to be an Evo V 4G, not sure if that matters or not).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones